The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
gargus

Reccomendations on a target and home defense rifle.

I am looking for a semi automatic rifle for target shooting, and "worst case scenario" defense.

I want something that is reliable, dependable, easy to maintain and I can count on to fire when I need it to.

I don't have a ton of money to put into a rifle but I also don't have to buy garbage. When it comes to weapons and tools I like to pay for quality.

I don't know if like 7.62 is still the standard for semi rifles anymore or what. I had a nice little collection but due to legal and money problems I had to sell everything I had so flash forward a couple years and now I need to rebuild it and Im starting with the most expensive parts, the rifles.

If you need to know more just ask me. I am just not sure what kinds of specifics to give to narrow down my search.
Old June 24, 2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For target accuracy, there are many AR-15 variations which will perform quite nicely. In any configuration, it will work as a defensive weapon as well as any other rifle.

If you're talking about only casual paper punching and plinking at impromptu targets, there are many other options which will also work quite well for defensive use.

IOW, elaborate a bit on your notion of target shooting.
Old June 24, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3
gargus

I had an ar15 at one point. I loved the gun but it wasn't exactly the best quality. I liked how it was easy to field strip, I liked that it wasn't too heavy, it felt good with the shape when I held it and I liked that it was relatively compact.

But looking at something new I didn't know if it was still considered a "go to" rifle since I have been out of the rifle game for awhile.

I would like to have another ar15 really but I don't know what is a really good manufacturer.

Have any recommendations on who the top couple manufactures are for them? Like I said I don't mind paying for good quality and dependability.

Far as target shooting I did like 20 meters, and sometimes I would shoot it at 200-300 meters. Like I said this is for target shooting and something as a "incase things go crazy" defense weapon.

Last edited by Spats McGee; June 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Removing asterisks
Old June 24, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4
g.willikers

Your stated use suggests something like what the 3 gun folks use.
Check that out at places like 3gunnation.com and the multi gun section of brainenos.com for ideas.
It looks like suitable versions of the AR are priced in the $1200 to $1500 range.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:45 AM   #5
gargus

Im kind of looking for recommendations from people on like manufacturer for a solid ar15.

I checked out those sites but I didn't see any really.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
SR420

Quote:
worst case scenario
I suggest something .30 caliber, 7.62 NATO or 7.62x39.
Old June 24, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
jmr40

A 16" barreled AR with a telescoping stock will fill your needs. Put a 1-4X20 scope on it and you are set for anything from 3 yards to 300 yards. Keep a magazine full of softpoint hunting ammo and they will stop any intruder and penetrate less in building material than slugs, buckshot or handgun rounds if you miss.

With good target ammo most decent AR's even with lightweight 16" barrels are going to shoot 1 MOA. The scope set on 1X is great for up close and fast and on 4X is enough magnification for 300-400 yards. It could easily be used for deer hunting if you chose to do so with good hunting ammo.

Which AR?

Before things got crazy I'd have said Windham, Bushmaster, PSA, Colt, S&W, or Sig. They were all selling decent guns ranging in price from $700-$1,000. To be honest, I don't know which I'd recommend now. Everything has changed a lot and I haven't kept up with who is currently offering the best gun for the money right now.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
gargus

Ok let me try this question instead....

What ar15 manufactures should I stay away from?

Maybe if I can get some consensus on what I shouldn't buy then Id be better of because then I could find one that isn't made by them that suits me.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

Plouffedaddy's home defense guns and gear recommendations video link

Lots of stuff in there that should answer some questions.

As to the maker--- BCM, Colt, PSA, Spikes, Noveske, and Windam Weaponry make ARs that will certainly fit that bill. Others are out there as well.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My plain vanilla 20" Colt is easily one MOA, even with my ancient eyebones.
Old June 25, 2013, 12:15 AM   #11
Quentin2

Quote:
... As to the maker--- BCM, Colt, PSA, Spikes, Noveske, and Windam Weaponry make ARs that will certainly fit that bill. Others are out there as well.
Don't know if I'd put Windham, Maine up there with the big dogs but back in the day John Wyndham wrote some pretty darn good Sci-Fi. And strange but true, a current writer we all know from Maine borrowed tonight's CBS premiere of Under The Dome from Mr. Wyndham!
Old June 25, 2013, 12:38 AM   #12
allaroundhunter

Re: Reccomendations on a target and home defense rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
Your stated use suggests something like what the 3 gun folks use.
Check that out at places like 3gunnation.com and the multi gun section of brainenos.com for ideas.
It looks like suitable versions of the AR are priced in the $1200 to $1500 range.
I would not recommend much at all from my 3 gun rifle for the OP's given purpose...

The 18" barrel is longer than I would recommend, the OP should go with a 16". That also means that he should get a mid-length gas system instead of a rifle length like my competition rifle. Instead of a light 3 lb trigger, a 5+ lb trigger is my recommendation. And instead of a compensator that will make the muzzle blast even worse, a good flash hider is a decent choice. I would also recommend an Aimpoint red dot sight instead of a 1-4x optic for a defensive rifle, but the 1-4x can be used at 1 power almost as well.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:37 AM   #13
g.willikers

The way most AR owners actually use (or don't use) them, does it really matter which of the manufacturers' guns one buys?
Unless it's really going to get a steady workout, at matches, or training sessions, wouldn't any brand name do?
Barrel length, gas system, sights, trigger....,'etc.
Is any of this of great importance for the casual use that most ARs will get?
Old June 25, 2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Rifleman1776

I keep a plain-jane Ruger 10-22 near my back door. It has a 30 round clip in it. Half a dozen .22s in the chest or stomach will be a potent deterrent to any bad guy.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:46 AM   #15
JL Wesson

go classics

What about a Winchester M1 carbine?
IMHO lightweight, short and handy, a pleasure to shoot, quite accurate (at least up to 100m) for target shooting and not "overpowered" for HD scenarios.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:36 AM   #16
kraigwy

Lots of different types of "target shooting" out there.

Main two are High Power and "3" Gun.

As mentioned the AR would be perfect (or best) for those. All one has to do is see what's being shot at those matches.

If there is a chance you will shoot both, go for the High Power style. 20in Barrel with iron sights.

Any major manufacture make quality guns, but by going to a "major" manufacture, if you get a dud, they'll make it right.

I own a Colt & White Oak, but if you're concerned with "quality" and customer service look at Smith & Wesson, best warrantee out there.

I had a revolver I screwed up, I sent it to S&W, telling them I SCREWED IT UP, and I was willing to pay to fix it. They couldn't fix it and even though it was my fault, they replaced it. My fault, their fault, no body's fault, S&W don't care, they fix or replace it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 25, 2013, 10:47 AM   #17
allaroundhunter

Re: Reccomendations on a target and home defense rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
The way most AR owners actually use (or don't use) them, does it really matter which of the manufacturers' guns one buys?
Unless it's really going to get a steady workout, at matches, or training sessions, wouldn't any brand name do?
Casual use? Probably not. Home defense? I'd like to think so...
Old June 25, 2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Boomer58cal

I'd say look at the Rock River Arms LAR-8. 7.62 nato. Mine is a match grade and on the spendy side but the standard model can be found for around $1100.

My DPMS 7.62 nato is a good choice too. Just some idea's.

Boomer
Old June 25, 2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Erno86

You probably can't go wrong with a 9mm, 16" ventilated shrouded barrel, 32 round magazine, British Sterling semi auto Type 2 carbine. You can shoot with the stock folded... but the stock has a small length, due to the design of the full auto Sterling; which still can be purchased in the $10,000-$15,000 range. It is the most dependable submachine gun ever made. You can buy a semi auto carbine Sterling in the $400-$500 range, that is, if you can find one in stock. I own 1 semi auto Type 2 Sterling carbine. It is very reliable with hollowpoints.

Do not use Sten magazines in the Sterling's, due to a chance of premature detonation.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; June 25, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old June 25, 2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Quentin2

Quote:
That may a way of justifying an AR you've already purchased and have some history with ... but why would anyone buying a new rifle want to get less for the same money?

The OP says he wants "something that is reliable, dependable, easy to maintain and I can count on to fire when I need it to". That's exactly why research is so important as it will dig up quality ARs for the same money as lesser ARs. Just like shopping for a HDTV or computer, you actually can get more for your money if you put some effort into it.
Old June 25, 2013, 05:14 PM   #21
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Don't know if I'd put Windham, Maine up there with the big dogs but back in the day John Wyndham wrote some pretty darn good Sci-Fi. And strange but true, a current writer we all know from Maine borrowed tonight's CBS premiere of Under The Dome from Mr. Wyndham!
Just trying to give some options in different price ranges.
Old June 25, 2013, 05:47 PM   #22
Old Stony

Dpms, Bushmaster, etc. will probably fill the bill for you. Heck..Wal Mart here sells some good basic models of these for reasonable prices.
Old June 25, 2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Quentin2

Quote:
Just trying to give some options in different price ranges.
And that's fine. For someone shopping in the price ranges of Spikes, PSA, Windham, Bushmater and DPMS a lot of thought should be given to first two.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:25 AM   #24
Ryu825

Sks. All the reliability of the ak at half the price. If u have enemy u need to shoot from several football fields away then steer clear but otherwise it's pretty awesome IMO
Old June 27, 2013, 10:58 AM   #25
Boomer58cal

My scoped sks is sub minute of bad guy past 400 yrds. Easy.

Boomer