The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Savage10FP308

Foxpro calls?

Hello everybody! I am a new member here at The Firing Line and I am interested in coyote hunting. I live in southern Illinois and have found a great place to hunt. It is old reclaimed mine property just off the big muddy river. I have heard many coyotes on many scouting trips to this place but have never seen one. I bought a Remington predator call and was very disappointed in what I got. You would have to be standing right next to it to even hear it. I was thinking about buying a Foxpro seeing that Cabelas had a halfway decent deal going on them. Anybody got any info on them? Thanks in advance!
Old March 23, 2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Scorch

I still use an old Outers coyote call and a Lohman Circe predator call. They can be LOUD, so don't blow too hard unless you are in strong wind. Rabbits aren't particularly loud!
My favorite is a squeaker call that is a little tube with a metal squeaker reed in the end. Not loud at all. But you should see the coyote's ears perk up when I squeak on it!!!! 100-200 yards out, they will stop what they are doing and come running.
The electronic calls are neat, and they never hit a sour note (like reed calls do in cold air). They are digital recordings, so they are perfect. I have never hunted with one of the new digital units, but I have hunted over an old tape unit. The guy I was hunting with had the volume turned up so loud the coyotes were looking our way from 1/2 mile out, but they weren't running to see what it was. He claimed there were no coyotes in that area because he was scaring them with the call.
Old March 23, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Foxman

There is a better deal with Bass-pro shops, they work ok I have a johnny stewart one with various cartridges, the crow ones work well too, I also use a couple of the cass-creek ones which are good. You got to remember the old coyotes ears are about 20 times better than ours, so loud isnt real necessary to get his attention. I can recommend the two above as working well, why not have a Cass Creek one and try it out, your only spending a few bucks then.
Old March 24, 2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Anthony2

Imho, Much Better Than Foxpro....

Extreme Dimensions Phantom Pro Series Wireless Digital Pedator Call.

No tapes, no cartridges, 12 different sounds, remote, durability...

Enough said.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 26, 2006, 12:15 PM   #5
TJ Freak

yote hunting

Look on Varmit Al's Hunting Page. Lot's of good info on calls. He also has a really neat section on putting together a caller for under 65.00 (hope I added right). He also has calls that you can download into it.
Old March 26, 2006, 02:18 PM   #6
hpg

Cass Creek makes a handy little hand held unit. You can get an external speaker, it only comes with 25' of wire. Not nearly enough though. you will need a couple hundred more feet. hpg