The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 2, 2000, 08:23 AM   #1
JD45

Am very much interested in performing some entry level mods on my 45.

Read much about polishing the feed ramp and troating the barrell. Exactly what is each of these operations?

Don't think I could do the barrell but maybe polish the feed ramp.

Any input appreciated.
Old February 2, 2000, 08:59 AM   #2
Jim V

When you polish the feed ramp on a 1911 or any other pistol all you are doing is smoothing out any machine marks. Just don't change any angles of the ramp by using a power tool and gringing wheels. All you really need is fine garnet paper and a dowel of close to the same radius as the present ramp size, some time and elbow grease. Take your time and go slow. You can't polish backwards to put metal back on you took off.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old February 2, 2000, 07:13 PM   #3
BBBBill

On some guns, you can not polish enough to remove all tool marks from the feed ramp without removing too much metal. Just be happy with removing any ridges that grab your fingernail. Same with the throat of the barrel. If your gun is a fairly recent commercial Colt or similar, the throat will already be wide enough. It will just need polishing. After using a dowel with fine sandpaper, you can use a Dremel with a felt bob & polishing compound like "Blue Magic" for the final gloss.
Old February 2, 2000, 11:25 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I second the advice about being careful with power tools. I wish I had all the money that has been spent on new barrels for 1911 type pistols because someone decided to polish the ramp and throat the barrel, when the gun didn't need either operation.

Jim