The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2020, 11:06 PM   #1
chrisintexas

Ruger SR9 and SR9C

What is your opinion about these guns? Are the triggers same in these 2?
Thanks so much.
Old February 7, 2020, 05:25 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I would love to have one. And while I try not to refer members away from this board, it just so happens that there's a current thread on THR that you may want to take a peek at: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...nd-sr9c.863042
Old February 7, 2020, 06:50 AM   #3
mikejonestkd

A good friend has a SR9 two tone and its a nice pistol. IMO ergonomics are slightly better than a brick, but it is 100% reliable and accurate. I'd pick one up if I needed another poly framed 9mm.
Old February 7, 2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Fishbed77

My brother has owned a full-size SR9 for about a decade. It's been reliable for him and is easy to shoot accurately. It's a surprisingly slim and ergonomic pistol for a double-stack. The trigger is decent - very Glock-like, which is unsurprising. It has a low bore axis and very soft felt recoil.

The magazine disconnect and laughably large loaded chamber indicator are very unfortunate. The manual safety is tiny and not terribly easy to operate, but also unlikely to to be inadvertently actuated.

In may ways, the SR9 was superior to Ruger's current crop of semiautomatic pistols, such as the awkward Ruger American Pistol - especially in terms of ergonomics. It's a shame Ruger didn't further develop the SR9. They did offer a budget version called the 9E for a short time, but it did little to ameliorate the SR9's primary issues.

An SR9 version that ditched the magazine disconnect, awkward loaded chamber indicator, and offered an option for no manual safety would have been a very nice pistol indeed.
Old February 7, 2020, 11:09 AM   #5
triplebike

I have the SR9C. I much prefer it over the SR9. It has a better trigger (imho) & with the 17 round mag it's a great home defense or range gun. With the 10 rd mag you can CC. It build quality makes it a forever gun. One of Rugers very best!
Old February 7, 2020, 11:14 AM   #6
Prof Young

I had the SR9C and like it . . .

I had the SR9C for about a year and carried it some. It's a good gun. I rented a sig365 and ran it along side the SR9C and determined that I liked the sig trigger better. So I swapped it out for the sig. Mostly a matter of personal preference.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 7, 2020, 07:52 PM   #7
blchandl2

My daughter has a SR9C and likes it better than her husband's G19.
Old February 8, 2020, 10:10 PM   #8
Forte S+W

I was actually planning on buying a Ruger SR40c as a new carry gun last year, but then I found a LNIB S&W SW40VE at my LGS for $199 and ended up getting that instead.

I'd still like to get one eventually though, especially now that their prices continue to decrease. From all that I've heard, the SR Series are all fantastic pistols which are built tough, (as one would expect from Ruger) have great ergonomics, and good triggers, especially on the Compact models for some reason.
Old February 9, 2020, 08:51 AM   #9
Armybrat

That S&W deal was a steal !
Old February 9, 2020, 10:49 AM   #10
jmr40

I had a SR9c for a while and liked a lot about it. Mine came with a 10 round magazine for CC and a 17 round magazine with a mag sleeve for open carry or home use. The gun was very accurate and I never had any issues with it. I did sell mine after buying a Sig 365 to recover part of that cost.

If someone is looking for a reliable accurate pistol with a tight budget you could do a lot worse.

Winston Churchill
Old February 9, 2020, 01:32 PM   #11
TunnelRat

I had a SR9c that had reliability issues. That said I still liked the size, ergonomics, and the fact that my wife liked shooting it too. Like Fishbed I like it better than the Ruger American.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 9, 2020, 07:44 PM   #12
railroader

Ruger SR9 and SR9C

I got two of the sr9c pistols before christmas. So far I'm very happy with them. Both are accurate, reliable with a good trigger. They have 3 dot sights that I actually like. The rear dots are smaller with the front sight quite a bit bigger, easy to see. They are still $ 249 here. https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...ounds/p/p47093

Last edited by railroader; February 9, 2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old February 10, 2020, 11:16 AM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

I have had one for years. Reliable. Would prefer a different trigger. Have moved to DAO. I will still keep the gun. Mild, fun range gun.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 11, 2020 at 04:28 AM.
Old February 15, 2020, 11:19 AM   #14
doofus47

I had an SR9c for a year or so. I liked it. It had good controls, felt solid on follow on shots and worked well for me. I started shooting a Walther p99c at a practice range while traveling for work and I just consistently outshot my SR9c (just by a bit). Not sure why but I transitioned and sold the SR9c, but it was a fine gun while I had it.
Old February 15, 2020, 07:39 PM   #15
kymasabe

I had an sr9c, had a feed issue, I sent it back to Ruger and they had it back in my hands on day 10, worked flawlessly afterwards. Was a very reliable gun that ate everything I fed it. I wasn't impressed with the safety or chamber indicator and traded it out, much happier with my Beretta Nano instead. Fewer rounds, but just fits me better.
Old February 18, 2020, 07:35 AM   #16
JKP

I liked my SR9C that I have had for 9 years I bought a second one now that the price has come down more than $100 from my first one. Even with my big hands it is still comfortable to shoot with the 10 round magazine. With a little bit of looking around, you can still find the 17 round magazines our now Californicated state of Colorado. I would recomend cleaning the striker channel every time the gun is cleaned. I like having a manual safety with this light, crisp trigger. A good value. It is a little bigger than my Sig P938 so that is my CCW.
Old February 18, 2020, 09:22 AM   #17
corneileous

I held an SR9C when I was shopping for my first EDC pistol but simply only chose the LC9S because it was smaller and more compact but nonetheless, it was a nice pistol. If I was now in the market for a compact-sized, double-stack, striker-fired pistol with manual thumb safety, I would heavily consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk