The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2020, 06:34 PM   #1
PolarFBear

Smith & Wesson 669 sight replacement

Thirty two years ago I got my first firearm, a used Smith & Wesson 669. It was OK. I've had hundreds of firearms since. But, the old 669 is still on hand. But, my eyes have diminished just a bit. The sights are just to small; and, are integral to the slide. What are the recommendations for a sight change from this "learned" forum? I realize the change will need the installation from a qualified gunsmith. Any idea as to costs?
Old February 23, 2020, 07:52 PM   #2
jrothWA

Testor'sbright yello or blaze orange piant, works for my 39-2s & 59, nicely.

Clean surfaces with acetone / denatured alcohol , let dry and then use a wooded toothpick to dip into the paint, shake once and apply to the serrations on the front blade. let dry and then redo the toothpick and two dots opposite the rear notch [facing you].
Also, use a drill from a 1-60 drill set andmeasure the notch widthb, I found that a WIDER notch allows more light and keep the frontfromblending in.

Good luck, keep us apprised of what works for you..
Old February 24, 2020, 10:00 AM   #3
rodfac

Quote:
Testor'sbright yello or blaze orange piant, works for my 39-2s & 59, nicely.
Works for me on all of my pistols and revolvers which don't have tritium sights used for carry purposes. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.