The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 19, 2020, 01:10 PM   #1
triplebike

Ruger Customer Service

Wow! Wow! Wow! I just called Ruger customer service/parts to get replacement Recoil assembly's for my two MKIV 22/45's and for my recently purchased used EC9S. I explained to the customer service rep that I was purchasing these as a preventive measure & there was nothing wrong with the current recoil assembly's. Gave the rep the three serial #'s. He verified my address and said on their way , have a nice day. I said don't you want my credit card for payment? Nope, no charge thanks for shopping Ruger. Amazing!
Old February 19, 2020, 02:29 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Been saying for years the rest of the manufacturing world, cars in particular, could learn a lot from the firearms manufacturers about customer service.
Old February 19, 2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

My experience with Ruger was excellent as well.

Long, short, my LCP came back after a recall with a different upper on it. Told the Supervisor it wasn't correct upper. After a few questions, my gun was sent back and totally new upper was on it. I had it in my hands in less that 48 hours at no cost and with an additional mag.

Wonderful customer service.
Old February 19, 2020, 04:20 PM   #4
Carmady

One thing that sets them apart is that they guarantee the gun forever, whether or not you're the original owner. Imo, their CS is their biggest asset.
Old February 19, 2020, 05:39 PM   #5
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
One thing that sets them apart is that they guarantee the gun forever, whether or not you're the original owner. Imo, their CS is their biggest asset.
Ruger doesn't have any written warranty. They said it was because of the differing laws in different states. They don't have a written warranty but they simply fix them. Their lack of a warranty is better than a written warranty.
Old February 19, 2020, 06:18 PM   #6
BBarn

Ruger CS is very good. One notable down side is that they now seem to stop making parts and servicing guns after they are discontinued, usually about ten years later. Not unreasonable, but I was disappointed to find recoil spring assemblies for the Mark II pistols no longer available.
Old February 19, 2020, 06:18 PM   #7
stinkeypete

+1 Ruger customer service is one reason why I am a loyal Ruger customer.
Old February 19, 2020, 06:33 PM   #8
CommandoX

I blew the front site off of my 1998 made Ruger Super Redhawk with top end 300 Nosler .44mags
I called and told them what happened and they sent me a label for $30. No one else would ship it out for less than $90 due to insurance price. Keep in mind, I'm the 4th owner of this particular handgun. I called 2 weeks later and was told that they didn't like the looks of the barrel due to pitting on the front site connection and were replacing the barrel along with 5 other internal parts that they felt weren't up to spec. I sighed and asked, "How much is that gonna cost?" The reply was, "No cost to you. We consider it a manufacture defect. You should have it back in about 1 week after testing."

Ya, I'm a Ruger fan. Imagine that.
Old February 19, 2020, 06:57 PM   #9
Mike38

I've had very good results with Ruger customer service. Years ago I bought a "well used" Ruger MkII tapered barrel pistol. I found out shortly afterwards why the seller was unloading it. I don't think it would put together 3 consecutive shots without a jam of some kind. I tried everything I knew to fix it, but only made things worse. In frustration, and not knowing as much about guns back then as I do now, I sent it to Ruger. I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks later telling me what it needed and a bill for something like $50, return shipping included, if memory serves me. I sent them a check. Two weeks later my pistol came back and I thought they made a mistake and sent me the wrong one. Nope, same serial number. Not only did they fix the functioning problems, they re-blued it. The pistol looked brand new! Ruger knew what they were doing. I have since bought no less than 10 new Ruger firearms to date.
Old February 19, 2020, 07:54 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

I totally forgot that Ruger doesn't offer a warranty of any kind.

Just goes to show their dedication to excellent customer service.
Old February 20, 2020, 01:48 AM   #11
Cirdan

Had an LCP with a problem. The spring that holds the slide retention pin in place broke. Called and got a shipping authorization

- Saturday - took it to Fedex and sent it to AZ.
- Monday - got notified they couldn't fix it, and would replace it free of charge.
- Tuesday provided them with an FFL
- Friday - picked up my new LCP from the LGS.

Nobody does customer service like that.
Old February 20, 2020, 02:25 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I totally forgot that Ruger doesn't offer a warranty of any kind.
Actually they sort of do. Ruger stands behind their products.

Back in the "old days" for decades, Ruger had a written warranty, just like all the other guys. Then some years ago, Ruger stopped issuing a written warranty. The "official" reason was they decided to end the written warranty because of the many different (and sometimes conflicting) requirements different states had concerning what had to be in a written warranty.

I think someone at Ruger finally got the nerve to tell the lawyers to "go pound sand", so to speak. And, it seems to be working.

Ruger does not have a written warranty. "Expressed or implied"...

What they do have, and will proudly tell you, is their word that "Ruger stands behind their products".

And they do!

I find that refreshing.
Old February 20, 2020, 02:38 PM   #13
KEYBEAR

My first Ruger was a Blackhawk 41Mag that was 60 years ago . I have bought a bunch of Rugers and hope to Buy more . But for the past 20/30 years only buy older Rugers
Super Blackhawk and Three Screw for me . Are the older guns better I like to think so but i may be wrong . The Service has been very good mostly parts .
Old February 22, 2020, 10:14 AM   #14
kymasabe

Of all the guns I've ever had to return for repairs... Ruger was far and away the best customer service (and Taurus was at the other end of the scale with absolutely abysmal customer service).
Old February 22, 2020, 10:30 AM   #15
Wag

I have more Rugers than any other brand of firearm. None of them have ever given me a problem so I've never experienced their Customer Service.

I'm fine with that.

--Wag--
Old February 22, 2020, 10:51 AM   #16
triplebike

When I was in the process of purchasing my 1st Ruger, MKIV 22/45 Lite, I decided I wanted to remove the top rail. I called Ruger, told them I didn't have the gun yet and wanted to purchase 3 plug screws. They were in my possession before the gun was and were sent at no charge. I knew then that I had made the right decision on a firearms company. Since then I have added 3 more Ruger firearms. All as outstanding as their customer service.
Old February 22, 2020, 12:18 PM   #17
bamaranger

Ruger Blackhawk

Short while back the transfer bar broke in my Ruger Blackhawk .357. Called Ruger, they sent a replacement at no charge in a very timely fashion.......and a spare that I did not request.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 22, 2020, 01:45 PM   #18
Wyosmith

In my years of experience in the gun business I have always said Ruger was top notch.
Old February 22, 2020, 03:34 PM   #19
AgedWarrior

My complaints to Ruger have been very few, and all handled timely and to my satisfaction. Some years back I wanted to replace the guide rod on a P series pistol that was galled somewhat after a lot of use. I called them up and after explaining what I needed, they verified the serial number and got it sent out to me quite quickly, and no charge!
Old February 22, 2020, 05:35 PM   #20
shurshot

Back in 82 or so, I wrote to Bill Ruger asking for a price list, as I lost the cylinder pin on my neighbor's vintage .22 Single Six revolver he had loaned me (boy was he was pissed!). I was standing on a pond dock fiddling with gun, pin fell into the water and got lost in the mud. I stripped down and searched... couldn't find it. It was spring fed and spring time. Water was almost as cold as the look the owner gave me when I explained what happened.

Mr. Ruger (or likely one of his staff), sent me the pin... super fast and at ZERO charge!!! Since then I have bought DOZENS of brand new Rugers. They have a customer for life.

Last edited by shurshot; February 22, 2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old March 12, 2020, 04:05 PM   #21
jmohme

I have yet to have a problem with any of my Rugers so I have had no experience with the quality of their customer service, but it is good to hear all of these glowing reports and know that if I ever do need help, it will be there.

BTW, I have had very similar experiences with Glock and their customer service.
I wish I could say the same for other not firearm related products.
Old March 12, 2020, 06:14 PM   #22
bspillman

That has been my experience with Ruger and Smith &Wesson.
Old March 14, 2020, 02:30 AM   #23
Scorch

Yep, Ruger's CS is amazing!
Old March 20, 2020, 10:31 AM   #24
blackhawk45

I bought my first AR, An AR556,took it to the range and found I couldn't adjust the front sight,contracted Ruger CS and the rep had my rifle picked up at my door and delivered back to my door in eight days ! No charge for shipping or the replacement of the front sight gas block assy. I don't think I'll ever find any CS to equal Ruger !
Old March 20, 2020, 01:19 PM   #25
jwamplerusa

Ruger customer service is absolutely out of this world.

I had an LC9S which started having failures to feed. It ended up going back to Ruger three times. The last time the only miss feeds were with my rather expensive defensive ammo. Ruger went so far as to buy over a hundred rounds of this ammunition apologizing repeatedly for it taking so long, with three phone calls from the armorer who was working the pistol, only to not be able to duplicate the failure.

Ruger did not complain, and in fact the armorer called and was apologetic that he was not able to recreate the failure to feed.

Then, just a couple of days ago while dry firing that same LC9S I noticed an odd catch when cycling the slide. Examination of the recoil assembly identified a cracked outer spring.

I looked online for a spare assembly but none were available. I then contacted Ruger customer service to request purchase of one. As the original submitter stated the customer service rep without hesitation verified my name and address and stated that one would be sent to me immediately. I offered to pay and I was told not necessary, we want to make sure our customers are taken care of.

If there hasn't been, there should be dissertation after dissertation on Ruger customer service. There are many many businesses that could save themselves from failure by learning to treat their customers as Ruger does.