The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Beagle333

Gettin ready fer Spring

I got out in the yard today and began getting ready for casting this year. I had this one last 60# box of wheel weights that I needed to sort and smelt and I had been putting it off for a few years, just because I don't like doing that, but it's the last box and it was time to get it out of the leaves before the squirrels scattered it completely all over the yard. So I broke out the ol' trusty rusty Lee pot and began melting them down. I also fluxed them with sawdust and wax, but that wasn't shown here.
After this box.... my wheel weight days are done! I'm only buying ingots or pipes or something larger than a string bean when I need lead.
So here's a few pics of me getting started....

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 26, 2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Wag

I've been ignoring a bucket of wheel weights in my garage for a few years. Also a few odds and ends of pure lead that I need to make into ingots just for manageability and to save some space.

Great photos.......

--Wag--
Old January 26, 2020, 06:05 PM   #3
Beagle333

Well, I got back out there today, a sortin and a snippin and there was another box under that box in the leaves. So I thought I was done, but I'm only halfway done. I guess I'll hit it again next weekend. 'Not complaining though, it's lead I didn't know I had.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 26, 2020, 09:54 PM   #4
USSR

Must be nice, "getting ready for Spring" in January. Up here in the frozen tundra, we don't even mention the "S" word until March.

Don
Old January 28, 2020, 10:51 PM   #5
Beagle333

Well heck....... I'm off the rest of the week (quarantined at home, actually) due to the flu. I was hoping I might recover enough to cast a little. Casting is recovering and resting, right? Just sitting in my shed, dropping a few hot ones? (providing I get over this feeling of death and such that the full blown flu gives.)
I did take the flu shot. But apparently it isn't so good on Type "A", and I got it.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 29, 2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

Hope you get better soon bud.

Can't wait to see pics from some of your recent acquisitions.
Old January 29, 2020, 02:56 PM   #7
Beagle333

You betcha, Mike. I'm burning through my last of this bag of heavies in the .41 and then I'm going to start on those.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 15, 2020, 08:45 PM   #8
Beagle333

Almost cured of the flu. Still have a slight nagging cough. But I picked up 65# of sheet lead this morning at the PO, so I'm ready to make some muzzleloader balls. I'm looking forward to learning about my flintlocks this year. I need to get them out and make friends with them.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 15, 2020, 09:32 PM   #9
USSR

And I'm looking forward to learning about my new 45-70 Model 1886. Got a new MP Mold that casts some beautiful 405gr slugs.

Don