The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 6, 2018, 12:32 PM   #1
Sequins

Optics options for a GP100

Hello friends,

At the range I go to I'm seeing more and more optics on everyone's handguns, and usually it's a Glock MOS with some sort of red dot. The nice optics, and even nicer groups, have me wanting to get in on the action- Except instead of a boring ol' Glock I'm looking at mounting a red dot on something a little flashier, my 6" GP100!

I've been looking around, not too hard mind you, and I've come across the Jack Weigand no-drill mounts. They seem like a compelling option, and for those who don't know he makes two models: A full length rail that replaces both the rear and front sight (anchoring to the frame using the existing cut-outs for the standard sights), and a much smaller rail that replaces only the rear sight and is made to fit a Burris Fast Fire, Vortex Viper, or similar hand gun sized red dot.

I'm sure there are some other options out there so before I buy anything from Mr. Weigand I wanted to see what was was in the marketplace, or if the Weigand option really is my best then I'd like to hear some stories about the full rail vs. the partial rail. I guess I'd probably go for the full rail because I could mount a scope at some point in the future if the fancy struck me, but I'll probably only ever do the red dot so I'm not sure if I really want the full rail.

I know this whole idea might strike some as heresy but since the revolver in question is a 7-shot GP100 we've already left tradition in the dust. When it comes to my options for mounting the red dot, what say you?
Old May 6, 2018, 12:49 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Jack Weigand has been around for ages. He was well known in the bullseye world for his smith model 52 no drill mounts. I would trust his stuff implicitly.
For all around I would prefer the small base and small optics.
Old May 6, 2018, 03:08 PM   #3
DaleA

Thanks for posting this. I had not heard of the Weigand mounts. They look like they are very well designed and would get the job done.

I like the looks of the short rail. The one that just replaces the rear sight. But note this is a totally subjective opinion and probably just as many folk would like the look of the full length rail. And of course the full length rail would give you a more versatile mount.

As for the total aesthetics of putting a rail and an optical sight on a revolver...well it's your gun, you should do what you want. Full disclosure I put Pachmayr grips on a Ruger Blackhawk. (But I did keep the wood ones for show or if I ever resell it.)
Old May 7, 2018, 09:05 AM   #4
CDR_Glock

What distance do you plan to shoot? Is this for defense or hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 8, 2018, 06:52 PM   #5
ds-10-speed

My GP100 mount

I couldn't find a mount I liked so I made my own, it's polished steel and mounts with the rear sight screw and the sight cross pin for a more stable mount. It also mounts the Burris FFIII closer to the frame than others available, only .060" above the top of the frame. It was a fun project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_mount.jpg (187.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg new_mount1.jpg (140.3 KB, 18 views)
Old May 11, 2018, 05:46 AM   #6
rob-c

I mounted a full length weigand to my wife’s gp with a ultradot red dot on top. She hunts with it and it has seen many full tilt loads and it has been flawless.i also have a weigand on my 44 SRH and it also has not moved a hair with copious amounts of full tilt loads..
Old May 11, 2018, 06:01 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

I've used Weigand mounts on revolvers and automatics for many years. They never move if put on correctly and work very well. I quit using scopes on handguns thirty years ago when I started using red dots. Too many disadvantages to the scope and they simply didn't shoot any better unless shot off a bench to test loads. Right now I have Weigand mounts on two hunting guns, a Ruger SBH and a SW 686+.