The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2020, 10:07 PM   #76
Carl the Floor Walker

What can I say, just bought my third Pico. Put 250 rds though it over the past few days. And like the other two, completely flawless. This one will be a safe Queen while I continue to shoot and carry the other two. These pistols just fascinate me. Build quality, reliability, mild shooting. So easy to work on with the modular design. I wanted this one for the Matt receiver.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; January 3, 2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old January 3, 2020, 03:47 PM   #77
langenc

Seacamp all the way!!
Old January 3, 2020, 04:01 PM   #78
Rapidrob

I've been carrying the Kel-Tec P3AT since they came out ( everybody copied them)
And the pistol will shoot anything I have loaded in it very well out to 25 yards accurately.
I had Kel-Tec do the "Extreme Carry" upgrade ( was 25 bucks ) and they installed a Hard chrome slide, stainless steel barrel, and stainless springs.I'm not sure if they offer that option any more.
No idea how many rounds it has through it. With the loads I carry the little .380 almost equals 9mm.
Old April 12, 2020, 12:09 AM   #79
FargoFlash

Even though during the winter months I'll sometimes revert to carrying something full-sized (1911, S@W 610) for years my daily carry is the Bersa Thunder on a belt holster and a J-frame wheel gun (until recently a 638, not so long ago was suitably impressed with the 360 to invest in that) on a sleek and slim shoulder holster. With 8+1 of Speer Gold Dot the Bersa is VERY accurate out to 20-25 yards and does the job; as back-up I feel great about having that 360 wheel gun as my CIWS with 5 rounds of .357 magnum Federal Hydra-Shok Low Recoil, with two speed-loaders fitted with the same. I also like having the SA/DA on both.

The Thunder 380, with its low price point and superb reliability (my current Thunder has at least 7K rounds through it at the range with not one FTE/FTF/stovepipe, ranging from match grade and hi buck personal defense loads to the cheapest ammo available) is one of the great bargains of the personal defense/carry options out there. Just one man's opinion.
Old April 12, 2020, 01:10 AM   #80
kymasabe

I'm with Sgt127 on this...Remington RM380 is a great gun. My daughter had a Taurus TCP that was total crap and a S&W bodyguard that was ammo picky. I've put a couple thousand rounds thru my Remington, its light, its comfortable to shoot and it eats everything and runs reliably. Under rated and overlooked.
Old April 12, 2020, 08:23 AM   #81
Auto5

1st gen LCP is my "go anywhere" gun. I don't mind the heavier trigger and even use a Tech clip to wear it inside the waist of sweatpants or shorts without a holster.
Old April 12, 2020, 09:45 AM   #82
wild cat mccane

Some corrections.

An lcp custom trigger is the same as a regular lcp trigger. Custom is metal. But same weight and pull.

The lcp p3at is customizable. You remove the pin and pull the hammer spring and the fcu comes out.

The lcp II is larger than the lcp.

See amp was sold yrs ago. The new ones are considered to have decreased in reliability, considerably.
Old April 12, 2020, 09:51 AM   #83
epl1007

I like the sig 238 myself. Goldilocks pocket gun not too big not too small just right. I admit you’d have to deal with a safety because your carrying it 1911 style but the trigger is a Dream and no recoil and it’s just big enough to get a decent grip
Old April 12, 2020, 01:15 PM   #84
Carmady

"An lcp custom trigger is the same as a regular lcp trigger. Custom is metal. But same weight and pull."

The Custom trigger is the same as the LCP Gen2 trigger. The LCP Gen1 trigger is different.
Old April 12, 2020, 02:13 PM   #85
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane
Some corrections.

An lcp custom trigger is the same as a regular lcp trigger. Custom is metal. But same weight and pull.

The lcp p3at is customizable. You remove the pin and pull the hammer spring and the fcu comes out.

The lcp II is larger than the lcp.

See amp was sold yrs ago. The new ones are considered to have decreased in reliability, considerably
You're half right, the weight is the same, but the pull is different. The wider trigger of the LCP Custom makes the pull easier, smoother, and lighter-feeling than the stock polymer trigger. Anyone who owns both will attest to this.
Old April 12, 2020, 03:06 PM   #86
wild cat mccane

I own both.

Springs are the same. The feel the same.

Actually own two customs
Old April 12, 2020, 06:40 PM   #87
Forte S+W

*shrugs*

Most folks tend to feel differently, but opinions are what they are.
Old April 12, 2020, 06:46 PM   #88
wmg1299

I switch between the LCP II and the Springfield 911. The Springfield has much better sights, but took 200 rounds of range ammo to break-in and start running smoothly. The LCP II is slimmer, but I had to paint the front sight orange to help it stand out. I have a Sig P238 Legion, which is an awesome gun, but the extended mag well and 7-round magazine make it just slightly too large for pocket carry. I may pick up a regular P238 in the future, but the prices are insane right now. All of them are solid options, so choosing is merely a matter of personal preference.
Old April 13, 2020, 09:12 AM   #89
FAS1

I have pocket carried a P3AT since 2004. It has always been reliable, but I don't put that many rounds through it. It's also not the easiest gun to shoot as it has a fair amount of recoil in such a small, thin gun. I am confident in it if that's the only gun on me. When I have my G26 IWB the P3AT becomes my "New York Reload".
Old April 13, 2020, 11:25 AM   #90
wild cat mccane

No difference between the Custom metal trigger and any gen2 LCP trigger:

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols...gger-feel.html

I will say the 10th anniversary might be the NC build. NC LCPs are problematic. Prescott built are not.
Old April 13, 2020, 02:57 PM   #91
Forte S+W

Factually it isn't any better, but based on what I've heard and read from a wide variety of sources, it "feels" lighter and smoother.

Mine is a 10th Anniversary Edition made in Mayodan, NC. I've had it for almost a year now and so far it hasn't had any issues whatsoever.
Old April 13, 2020, 04:38 PM   #92
senecahornet

I have a Kahr CT380. holds 8 rounds and the part i like the best is that i can get all my fingers on the grip. No pinky hanging. i do not have small hands nor huge ones. I have fired close to 600 rounds through it, mostly reloads. And i can say that the gun over the times i shot it, had less that 6 mis-feeds, It is my carry gun. I Like the Speer 90gr. HP Gold Dot, it functions with no hang ups
Old April 13, 2020, 09:50 PM   #93
Armybrat

Same here. The CT380 is a quality mouse gun that isn’t too “micro”.
Soft shooting compared to my LCP.
Old April 24, 2020, 05:19 PM   #94
dmattaponi

Small, light, thin 380 for pocket carry

Not that this will help the OP much, but I just went through the process of selecting a new, small, thin pocket ccw. For me it came down to choosing between the NAA Guardian (actually the 32acp model), the Ruger LCP, and the S&W Bodyguard (I already have a Glock 42). The G42 is a pleasure to shoot, but I always find myself kinda wanting one of the slightly smaller guns. After much consideration and reading, I selected the S&W. My choice came down to the fact that is is very nearly the same size as the LCP, and also has some other features I like. Even though the S&W is a little more expensive than the Ruger, it comes with two magazines, the slide locks back, better finish, optional manual safety, real sights and it just appears to be a nicer gun. And though people complain about the trigger, it feels very revolver like to me and I don’t mind it at all. I also kinda like the fact that it’s a bit harder to pull than the G42 for a pocket gun...not that the Glocks have ever been an issue. My wife may use the pistol too, and I like the revolver like trigger for her. Haven’t shot it yet, so don’t know if it was a good choice yet or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by dmattaponi; April 26, 2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old April 25, 2020, 09:14 AM   #95
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
What can I say, just bought my third Pico. Put 250 rds though it over the past few days. And like the other two, completely flawless. This one will be a safe Queen while I continue to shoot and carry the other two. These pistols just fascinate me. Build quality, reliability, mild shooting. So easy to work on with the modular design. I wanted this one for the Matt receiver.

Love shooting the Pocket guns and have since the first LCP came out. Dedicated shooter with them and a whole lot of ammo down range.

My new P380 did wonderfully first day out. 200 rds. Like the Pico very easy shooter, very mild. This is my second one.

FYI My third Pico came in and the trigger was much lighter than the already lighter trigger than the GEN2 that I now own. Took it to the range and tried to get use to the trigger as I have thousands of rounds out of the other Pico's

I actually prefer the heavier trigger, just use to it. After shooting, I set a target to the 15 yd line. Took the first mag and shot slowly trying to find my grove with the new trigger. First shots were low, then some high and then found my Grove and Rapid fired the little pistol. It performed ok, but still sent it back to Beretta where it is and told them I want the same trigger as Gen 2's. They still have the gun.

My hand is size Large and I have long fingers. Pico is no problem. Actually a very firm grip between the fatty tissue of my Palm between forefiner and thumb.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 25, 2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 27, 2020, 10:09 AM   #96
poptime

I love the Sig P238. I carry cocked and locked in a SneakyPete. Has been surprisingly accurate and 100% reliable through countless rounds, fun to shoot.
Old April 27, 2020, 10:14 AM   #97
ammo.crafter

380 pocket

AMT Backup.
Old April 27, 2020, 12:39 PM   #98
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
I am looking for a carry 380. This would be a pocket pistol. I looked at a Sig P238 and liked the size, but not that I’d have to thumb the hammer back prior to use. I’ll have a look at the Ruger LCP II and the Bersa Thunder. I like that the Bersa has a safety and decocker, is DA/SA, and has a good trigger, all of which I am used to, having a Beretta PX4 Type F full-size. But, I read that the Bersa isn’t small. The Ruger is small and DA only, but how is the trigger?

What do you folks have that you like, or don’t like. And did I miss something on the P238?

I used to pocket carry a Sig Sauer P 238 380 ACP in a wallet holster.

Condition one is the only way to carry it.

It is very reliable. The sights are good.

It handles recoil well.

I shot Buffalo Bore Plus P out of it.

The Colt Mustang and Kimber Micro are equivalents.

Honestly, the Sig Sauer P365 has ended the reign of the Sig Sauer P 238 380 ACP and Sig Sauer P938 9 mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 27, 2020, 02:39 PM   #99
dmattaponi

The S&W Bodyguard is a good choice. Very pocketable and nice features. I like the looks of the non laser sight model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old April 29, 2020, 08:10 PM   #100
Doc Holliday 1950

Wow. I was going to ask the forum about the Ruger LCP 2 but 603 beat me to it. I've been in lock down for over 2.5 months & yesterday was my first day out other than Supermarket or Pharmacy. I found myself at my GS looking to buy a couple of hundred 9 mm practice rounds & looked down & saw this Ruger LCP2. I picked it up & it fit my hand just right. you all know the rest. I bought it. Can't wait till tomorrow to shoot this little gem(IHOPE). I shall report on it tomorrow.

Doc