The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 4, 2019, 06:41 PM   #1
Longshot4

New Ruger 77/44, Tight screw to stock

So I want to remove the stock and cant remove screw. It is large slotted but wont budge. Am I expected to purchase a $100 tool set to remove it of can I use a impact driver with a well fitting slotted driver. What's up with the heavy torque.
Old December 4, 2019, 07:33 PM   #2
std7mag

Impact driver, NO!

Use a hollow ground straight bit that fits perfectly with the slot. You can dab a touch of valve grinding compound to the tip (available at any auto parts store).
Use 1/4" drive ratchet. With socket that fits the bit. (Typically 1/4")
With rifle in vise, use one hand on head of ratchet, the other to apply pressure.

Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 7, 2019, 06:29 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Well, you don't want to use a manual hammer-driven impact driver, for sure. A hammer drill with a slow speed setting might be acceptable if the screw is severely over-torqued. Just be prepared to replace the screw if heavy-duty means have to be employed to get it out. You might want to check on the availability of that, first.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 8, 2019, 02:19 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

You might consider talking to the people at Ruger. A tech, not the phone clerk. Find out if the screw "should" be removable, and if its not meant to be taken out, don't.

If its something that is meant to be periodically removed (like removing the stock) if its too stuck to come out with normal means, it might be something the factory needs to fix.

I'd at least talk to the tech guys at Ruger, first.

Consider a worst case situation, the screw is in so tight (for whatever reason) that you twist the head off trying to get it out. If that happens, you might need to send it to Ruger, anyway...
Old December 8, 2019, 02:16 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...What's up with the heavy torque..." Simple. Ruger doesn't want you fiddling with it. Really tight, like any screw on a car(put in with a nuclear screw driver), is the result of the fear the manufacturers have of a screw coming loose. As daft as that sounds.
No impact drivers. A drop or two of penetrating oil with the rifle in a padded vice and a long screwdriver.
And there are 2 stock screws.(Gunparts has an exploded drawing). One goes through the trigger group into the tang of the receiver. The other goes through the stock into the receiver under the chamber. Either one of 'em can be held in with torque or Lock-Tite. The latter requires a bit of heat(No torches. A soldering iron on the screw will do.) to loosen.
Old December 11, 2019, 01:27 PM   #6
SGW Gunsmith

There's no reason why you can't use an impact wrench as long as you use a well fitting hollow ground driver bit. Just don't use a 10 pound sledge hammer. Tapping lightly on the top end of the impact driver while you turn it should do the trick. And, if you have any "Kroil" handy, try a few drops of that around the screw head before applying the impact wrench.
Brownells will have the perfect size driver bit that you need for around $4.00.
Old January 12, 2020, 03:26 PM   #7
Longshot4

I finaly was able to get back to the screw. I was able to pickup a over size 5/16 drive 3/8 bit from Great Lakes ACE hardware. I hand ground on bench grinder to required width and just flattened the front and back faces for a tight fitting bite of the screw. Put the bit in a 3/8" 1/4" drive socket and placed it in my ratchet. It worked like a charm.

I Thank all of you for your replies.