The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 27, 2019, 04:44 AM   #76
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I think the same too, I just don't think a 17oz LCR is great for deep concealment. A 13oz .32 Mag LCR would be better, but Ruger doesn't seem to care about the .32 Mag or a .32 LCP.
If they released a six-shot .32 H&R magnum LCR on the lighter frame, it might appeal to some people. Before the LCR came out in .327 Federal, I'd actually been hunting around for one of the older alloy J-frames in .32 H&R magnum. This might be an emotional throwback to when six-shooters were the norm but I feel much better with six shots than I do with five.

Of course, that's a novelty that'll never happen. I'm still waiting for the 3" LCRX to come out in .327 Federal. The magnum frame has been available for a while now. I figured for sure that they'd have a .327 version out by Christmas. Sadly, not a peep. Every time I get a Ruger newsletter in my inbox, I wonder if that'll be the day...
Old December 27, 2019, 05:12 AM   #77
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
If they released a six-shot .32 H&R magnum LCR on the lighter frame, it might appeal to some people. Before the LCR came out in .327 Federal, I'd actually been hunting around for one of the older alloy J-frames in .32 H&R magnum. This might be an emotional throwback to when six-shooters were the norm but I feel much better with six shots than I do with five.

Of course, that's a novelty that'll never happen. I'm still waiting for the 3" LCRX to come out in .327 Federal. The magnum frame has been available for a while now. I figured for sure that they'd have a .327 version out by Christmas. Sadly, not a peep. Every time I get a Ruger newsletter in my inbox, I wonder if that'll be the day...
Ruger does seem to have put a halt on adding any more models to their established lines, instead releasing the Wrangler and "Super" GP100. They have about reached the limit with the number of chamberings they can offer for their revolvers, but they could do more with all the LCR's, not just the aluminum ones. I personally would like to see a 5 or 6 inch longer barrel in the .22 LR and Magnums, maybe even the .357.

I get the sense that Ruger is planning some surprises for SHOT next month, they've haven't made much of a splash at SHOT in years, it's like they're almost forgotten about in the professional gun media.

I too like the old fashioned 6 shooter in a revolver, but a 5 shot has its place. I bought the Taurus Public Defender earlier this year and really like how slim it is compared to a Governor. If the .32 revolver starts to grow in popularity with CCW, maybe somebody will look at making an I frame size revolver again for a 5 shot .32 Mag or S&W Long. Whichever can be made smaller and lighter.
Old December 27, 2019, 08:29 AM   #78
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
AK103K,

Indeed. And at the risk of sounding terribly over dramatic, errors on my part meant the very real possibility of losing my life rather than as in your situation just a job.
The reason I carry a gun, and a realistic one at that, is for the same reason as you. You just seem to think youre limited to a third line back up gun to do it. Youre not. Thats all Im saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Yeah, plenty of buffoons wearing badges out there including the ones who got Robin Ahrens killed. Cops are not necessarily the gold standard. I'm not particularly impressed with your analogy regarding whatever the heck point you were trying to make with that comment.

I wasn't trying to tell you that your model 26 or 17 couldn't be concealed under the right circumstances. Only that you're lying to yourself and anyone listening it you don't appreciate the advantages of a ACTUAL concealable weapon.
My point with the cops is, they are generally more aware and paying better attention than your average person. May not be the gold standard, but its a lot higher standard than your average citizen or person lost in their phone.

Ive passed through quite a few "checkpoints" where they actually were "looking" for, and asking if you had weapons or things of the such, and walked right on through. And more often than not, that was with my 17 or another full sized handgun on under my shirt.

What you seem to be missing, and/or fighting is, that while the Seecamp is small, size isnt always the thing that makes things work. Theres more to things than just size.

You also seem to be missing the point that I carry my 26, in the EXACT same place, and in the EXACT same way and conditions, as I did my Seecamp. And it works the same, and under ALL circumstances, short of a Speedo, and I doubt the Seecamp would work there too.

I also work a very physical job, and play the same way when Im off. Im not sitting/hiding behind a desk or steering wheel, or standing statue still, hoping to make things work, Im constantly moving around all day, doing all sorts of physical things, and more often than not, in close contact with people, doing things together. And all that in pretty much any environment/venue you can come up with.

The reason why I carry the 26 over the Seecamp is, its a much more realistic gun, thats easier to get a hold of in a hurry, has a set of realistic sights on the gun and is much easier to shoot well with. And shoots like a full size gun and at pretty much all the same distances. It can also have the same capacity as my 17, with a simple mag change. It gives me a MUCH better chance, if Im unlucky enough to have to need it. Isnt that the whole point of the gun you choose?

For me, the Seecamp, and more recently, a NAA Mini revolver, and a few other guns of the type, are all, third line, last ditch guns. Those type guns are really not what you want to be carrying as a primary gun, and theres really no need to do so.

Unless of course, thats what you want to do. And Im perfectly fine with that, your life is your worry, and isnt my concern. We all do what we think is best for ourselves.

Im just as worried as you about losing my life, but I just choose to use a more realistic tool(s) for the job. And I do that on a daily basis, anywhere there isnt a metal detector.

If youve never used one, and are as concerned as you say, I highly suggest you give a Smart Carry a try. Youll be amazed at how well they work, and with what. And you ARE NOT limited to last ditch guns.

Blade-Techs "Ambi Klipt", and things like Suarez's "Gunfighter" AIWB also work very well for the full sized guns. I highly recommend them too.
Old December 29, 2019, 09:25 AM   #79
Auto5

You would be surprised at how little people actually pay attention, even to something as obvious as a Sneaky Pete holster. I don't have to go any smaller than an LCP (Magguts gives it 7+1). It has a techna clip to which rides low inside the waist. Most often, it's in a Remora pocket holster, either in the pocket or tucked in the waistband. I have a sedentary desk job, so I'm not doing anything rigorous. CC is not prohibited in my workplace, but there are a few snowflakes that would probably faint or call 911 at the sight of a gun.
Old December 29, 2019, 09:37 PM   #80
zoo

AK103K,

As I alluded to previously, I much enjoy many of your posts and I apologize if at times I have responded to you rather arrogantly/harshly on this current topic. I also cannot deny the very real possibility that on top of everything else readers may say about me, my being a bit of a blow-hard “internet expert” may not be totally incorrect.

However, I nonetheless continue to feel compelled to point out that it has become apparent to me that the reason you and I carry a gun are NOT the SAME as you seem to contend.

When I carry surreptitiously, It is not because I need to “pass through quite a few checkpoints where they actually were looking for and asking if you had weapons or things of the such” or because I inherently think I’m “limited to a third line back up gun” as you previously stated.

These days, I occasionally have to carry surreptitiously because the consequences of not doing so will almost certainly result in terribly negative and immediate consequences to either my or somebody else's health and wellbeing.

These days, I am at times required to work with potentially homicidal and/or suicidal individuals in close proximity and absent important security barriers between myself and said individuals and/or their associates.

What YOU seem to be missing and/or fighting is that in many situations size really does matter and a magic holster just ain’t gonna cut it! It is foolish to think your crotch area isn’t going to be assessed.

I can provide for you numerous ways in which that can and is done including physical contact and metal detection devices applied in non-conventional approaches.

Quote:
For me, the Seecamp, and more recently, a NAA Mini revolver, and a few other guns of the type, are all, third line, last ditch guns. Those type guns are really not what you want to be carrying as a primary gun, and theres really no need to do so.

Unless of course, thats what you want to do. And Im perfectly fine with that, your life is your worry, and isnt my concern. We all do what we think is best for ourselves.

Ain’t a choice of what "you want to be carrying.” I prefer a good, reliable, semi-automatic rifle for combat situations; certainly not a “tiny ass little last ditch firearms” as you described.

But when something larger stands a very realistic chance of getting you and/or somebody else killed rather than saying your life or somebody else’s life, that’s what you use.

Sorry, your faith in magic holsters only tells me you have no real street experience.

Peace and love!
Old December 30, 2019, 08:15 AM   #81
AK103K

Hey, whatever you say. It certainly appears Im not the person you are, and Ive just been living on luck day in, day out, my whole life.

Just lucky for me its been working all this time, eh?

Just curious here, but since you seem to have a lot of actual and bad experience with the Smart Carry type holsters, what went wrong for you?

And since the "magic holsters" dont work in your experience, specifically what combination are you using that is so effective?

And of course, while hiding the guns and getting away with it is very important, actually being able to quickly get to it and use it effectively is really the ultimate goal here, so Im assuming you do that regularly in practice, both getting the gun out and shooting it effectively, in as many ways as you can come up with in practice.

There is actually a goal here (other than just "having" a gun), and what you do needs to be thought through and worked out and on, beforehand. And it doenst matter how "deep" you go either. If you cant get it out quickly and effectively use it, its really not doing you any good. Is it?
Old December 31, 2019, 09:22 PM   #82
zoo

Ak103k

Quote:
Hey, whatever you say. It certainly appears Im not the person you are, and Ive just been living on luck day in, day out, my whole life.
Probably safe to say all of us are still alive today due to some level of luck. In my case it has been with a HUGE amount of luck. On the other hand, I'm generally good with survival strategies and I have a lot of training and experience but then again I would never deny the role luck has had in my survival!

Quote:
Just curious here, but since you seem to have a lot of actual and bad experience with the Smart Carry type holsters, what went wrong for you?
Wrong question. I'm still alive due to what went right for me. Having made it through many various real world search scenarios and how the searches were unable to determine I was packing resulted in a pertinent level of awareness (or confirmation of that which I was already reasonably certain).

Quote:
And since the "magic holsters" dont work in your experience, specifically what combination are you using that is so effective?
In the case of metal detection and/or digital scanning confirmation, nothing.

In cases of human detection through physical contact, the size of the weapon and location of concealment are everything.

Quote:
And of course, while hiding the guns and getting away with it is very important, actually being able to quickly get to it and use it effectively is really the ultimate goal here, so Im assuming you do that regularly in practice, both getting the gun out and shooting it effectively, in as many ways as you can come up with in practice.
If you haven't made it through the "gate" being able to quickly and effectively use your weapon are probably not going to be matters of concern for you unless they are chasing you down the street because you failed to pass their weapons inspection protocol.

Obviously, yes if needed you want to be able to quickly and efficiently access your weapon through training and practice.