The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 9, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1
300wsmman

Easy Turkey Calls

Can anyone help me pick out a few good easy turkey calls, including mouth calls, and box calls, and locater calls, and any other kind of calls that are EASY and sound good.
Old July 9, 2007, 05:33 PM   #2
NRA4life

My favorite mouth call that I found very easy to perfect is the Lohman 839. As I have not been turkey hunting all that much since moving from Missouri, I have not purchased them in probably 10-12 years. I hope they still exist.
Old July 10, 2007, 10:34 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

Without getting into specific brands/models, the easiest type to pick up with ZERO practice and sound good is a box call or push-call. But with most box calls, it limits you to realistic yelping only without some added skill.

The easiest to use well (sound good), with just a LITTLE bit of practice, and my favorite type, is a pan/striker call. With 1-5 minutes of practice, yelping is easy. With another 5 or 10 minutes of practice, purrs are pretty easy. With another half hour of practice, fairly realistic soft clucks can be made on the edges of the pan. I always carry 2 pan calls: a slate pan/wood striker for normal conditions, and a glass pan/acrylic striker for rainy conditions, or just to change up the sound a bit.

Mouth calls are difficult to make sound realistic without a lot of practice. In the early season, and/or where there's not much hunting pressure, and/or if there's a high(er) tom to hen ratio, then a not-so-good mouth call yelp will still bring them in usually.

On locator calls, I don't mess with owl hoots or crow calls anymore, because I found that a gobble call works best as a locator, or for that matter a loud hen yelp. I use one of those black rubbery gobble calls that you hold in one hand and shake vigorously for the gobble. Some people will say that that is dangerous, to make a gobble sound, but if someone is out there stupid enough to shoot a dude dressed in camo, carrying a shotgun, and holding a black rubber doodad in his hand, then all bets are off on that kind of yahoo anyway, so I don't think actually gobbling is going to matter.
Old July 10, 2007, 02:57 PM   #4
lockedcj7

I've found diaphragm calls to be very easy with a little practice. I stick a couple in the truck a week or so before season starts and practice a little driving to and from work. I've never won any contests but I've killed lots of turkeys. I've tried all the others but they create too much movement and/or necessitate a last-minute switch from call to gun.

I can't recommend a brand since everybody's mouth is different but I've used Quaker-Boy and Primos and they work good for me. I also prefer double or triple reed styles because they sound like a raspy old hen IMHO.

I also don't do locator calls anymore. I've just never seen them work with any regularity. A really aggressive cackle like two hens fighting usually gets 'em to gobble if anything will.