The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 9, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1
san_chang4837

need some help with purchase

I recently put on layaway a sig p226 9mm for $570.
It was something the police bought but never really used or something like that (it is still consider used). I looked at it, and everything seems new, even the barrel. I liked it a lot.

I'm rethinking this decision because I wonder if it is too steep of a price to pay for a gun with 1 year warranty. Not to mention that this gun can end up being stolen (even with a safe). I'm considering switching to a taurus pt92 with a lifetime warranty and lower cost. Mostly, this gun will be for the range and home. However, I do plan to carry it once in a while.

I read on this forum that sigs are great, but they still sound like luxury guns. My philosophy is that I want a workhorse gun not some expensive showoff gun that I'd have to baby.

Edit: The Owner also showed me XD's, a tangofolio witness CZ75 clone, a S&W sigma, and a beretta 92.

Let me know what you all think. This will be my first, and probably last handgun. My next gun I plan to get is an o/u for skeet, and that will be a few years down the road.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Very Interesting Assumption~!

Greeting's Sir-

On the subject of SIG's, first let me say that the "Classic P-series
SIG's" are world class firearms in every respect. Are they worth
the money that dealer's charge for them? IMHO, every penny.
I carried a .45 caliber West German SIG-SAUER for 'bout 12 years
as a LEO duty weapon; and it NEVER let me down. I refer to it
today as, "MY BACON SAVER".

In comparing factory warranty's, you are much more likely too
have to use the Taurus Limited Lifetime Warranty, than you are
SIG's one year warranty. Any firearm will require intervals of
maintenance. If you don't perform it when necessary, well then
you are asking for big time trouble.

Is the SIG P226 you put on lay-a-away one of the factory
reconditioned preowned SIG's? Some great deals can be had
by purchasing one of these guns. In police circles, some of
their firearms see many hours in duty rig's; but less time
actually being fired. If the weapon in question is in great
shape, $570 don't seem like a bad price.
Old May 9, 2006, 01:18 PM   #3
whitebb

Take the Sig, forget the Taurus. Taurus builds a good gun, but Sig builds a Awesome one. You won't regret buying the SIG, trust us.
Old May 9, 2006, 01:37 PM   #4
HK_P7

My first handgun was a Sig (P225). I still own it, and I don't regret buying it. Of the guns you mentioned, I think the Sig P226 is the way to go. The 226 is also on my list of want to buy, if I ever make up my mind !

I have owned 3 sigs, and I have never had a problem with malfunction. I also did not have a problem getting what I paid for them (232, 239).
Old May 9, 2006, 01:56 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

get the sig. its not a safe queen. you won't need to baby it. if its stolen, well you have homeowners or renters insurance with 'theft coverage', right? no big deal.
Old May 9, 2006, 02:22 PM   #6
Fremmer

I would go ahead and buy the Sig. The Sig is a great gun, and this is coming from a 1911 .45 ACP guy. My first choice for a 9mm is the Sig 226.

Quote:
I read on this forum that sigs are great, but they still sound like luxury guns. My philosophy is that I want a workhorse gun not some expensive showoff gun that I'd have to baby.
A Sig 226 is not a luxury gun that will have to be babied. It is fightin' handgun that is issued to or selected by many police departments and government agencies. It is an accurate, reliable, and well-made handgun -- certainly not a safe queen.

Quote:
I'm rethinking this decision because I wonder if it is too steep of a price to pay for a gun with 1 year warranty.
In my opinion, $570.00 for a Sig 226 that is in excellent condition is a reasonable price. The retail on new Sigs is often much higher (I've seen them priced at $750.00). $570.00 for a well-made gun like a Sig is not expensive. If you want to do a price check, contact WildAlaska, and see what he can do for you (you probably won't do better than his price for new guns).

"Only" a 1 year warranty? So what! Sigs are so well made that they often shoot thousands and thousands of rounds before needing repair. A well-made German car may not offer the same 10 year warranty that is offered by Kia or Hyundai, but then again, well made vehicles often don't need warranties, and you generally get what you pay for.

Quote:
I'm considering switching to a taurus pt92 with a lifetime warranty and lower cost.
Then you'll get what you pay for. A Taurus ain't no Sig. Now don't get me wrong; a Taurus is not a terrible gun, but it won't hold its value like a Sig will. Do some research on Taurus' warranty work (how long it takes, etc.).

Quote:
This will be my first, and probably last handgun.
Ha! We'll see about that! You may contract gunitis, and feel compelled to purchase more of them.

Last edited by Fremmer; May 9, 2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 9, 2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Bearbuck

Warning!!! Please Read!

Man please don't go and do what you are thinking to much on and getting ready to do. They always say, don't change your gut feeling, your instict choice. That would be like a logger trading a chainsaw for a hacksaw. Both will cut wood, but my oh my how much sweeter that chainsaw is. I know in retrospect the "extra" money sounds good to save, but I feel you would end up using that money anyway, later, trying to trade out of the Taurus. I mean like someon said above, The taurus is a good gun and would do a good job, but after having gone as far as putting that Sig in Lawaway and knowing it was going to be yours, you would lay awake at night wondering and that ain't good. Worst off, you see somone at the range or rent one to see and shoot a Sig and Fall in Love. Then you would have to pack away that Taurus with that Sick empty feeling in the pit of your stomache and get in the truck and go home. For the next few days stuper around in silence and shock that " I almost had that Sig , buy???" Man don't do this to yourself. If you can get this Sig now then do it. Take this advice from others who have made such mistakes and suffered such agonizing pain.

Whitey
Old May 9, 2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Tommy Vercetti

I'd buy the Sig

nobody ever regrets buying the best..
Old May 9, 2006, 08:52 PM   #9
san_chang4837

Ok...

looks like this would be it. I just returned the walther p22 so that I could have money for this. I doubt I'll miss that p22 now.

As for catching "gunitis" I do plan to purchase more guns, just not handguns. The Lord forbid that I should become one of those people with enough 1911's stacked in their safe to arm a small militia (I've seen the pictures on this forum). It just doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the advice, it seems like a silly question now that everyone has had their say.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:21 PM   #10
NavyLT

Do you have a chance to shoot them all? Rentals at a range for instance? I love my Taurus PT92 and have not regretted it one bit. I would say if you can, rent them all and see what shoots best for you.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:37 PM   #11
Fremmer

Quote:
The Lord forbid that I should become one of those people with enough 1911's stacked in their safe to arm a small militia (I've seen the pictures on this forum). It just doesn't make sense.
You'll understand the devotion to the 1911 after you become familiar with the .45 ACP round and the 1911's single-action trigger.

Enjoy the Sig!
Old May 9, 2006, 11:32 PM   #12
Kermit

Price wise, the SIG appears to be a nice deal...I'd stick w/ it and enjoy it
Old May 10, 2006, 06:04 AM   #13
DunedinDragon

I'll put it to you this way if it will make you feel better about your decision:

I have NEVER met anyone that regretted buying a Sig.

I have met SEVERAL people that regretted buying a Taurus.

Not that Taurus's are bad (I own one), but it's just not a Sig.
....'Nuff said......
Old May 10, 2006, 07:16 AM   #14
fairview mick

Sig vs. Taurus

I don't own a Taurus, so I can't speak for that. I bought a used 9mm Sig P226 from CDNN investments, and liked it so much that I went out the next day and bough a new P 226 in .40 S&W. Can't miss with the Sig. I don't believe from my readings that the Taurus compares favorably with the Sig. Also, what's wrong with owning a "Luxury" gun. Does that mean that you're some kind of yuppie or ????
. When I first started working in a gas station part time, all my hard earned extra money went into Weatherby rifles. That certainly didn't make me any more aloof than any other regular shooter!!!!!!!!!
Mickey
Old May 10, 2006, 09:30 AM   #15
flashman70

+1 on what Fremmer said.
Old May 10, 2006, 11:07 PM   #16
san_chang4837

Very Sorry To All Of You

I'm very sorry to all of you. Due to a turn of events, I am now saving that extra money from my returned p22 so that I can send my mom and aunt on a spa trip (single mom, she deserves it). She is going on a two month sick leave.

I'm a college student on scholarship (means I don't work), so I won't get any more money for a while. It's all extra money leftover from Chinese New Years lol!

Thanks for all of your advice. I agree now. SIG is my dream gun, but it will have to wait. I'll post a range report or something after I get my pistol and go to the range.

EDIT:
Old May 10, 2006, 11:11 PM   #17
san_chang4837

Oh no I just realized that now my goal has been raised from one to two handguns...