The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
flcjinflorida

SCCY CPX 2

I want to know if anyone has seen this brand, and if they have, what they thought about it.

I currently use it as my CC gun, and I love it. The trigger has a heavy pull (9lbs.), so I know it won't go off accidentally. It shot straight right out of the box.

Other than Glock, this is my favorite brand name of guns.

All opinions are welcome!

"I carry a gun because my back can't handle the weight of a law enforcement officer. " -Me
Old March 27, 2012, 12:53 AM   #2
kozak6

They are nearly completely unknown generic Keltec copies.

I have no idea whether they are good or bad, or what degree of customer service the manufacturer offers. Since they represent such a drastic unknown, I'd personally stick to Ruger or Keltec instead.
Old March 27, 2012, 07:03 AM   #3
big_bad_kitty

Do not be afraid to purchase one and carry it for your CC. I have sold them for the past two years and have three in my own personal collection. It is a neat little gun to own and shoot! Small, compact, heavier trigger pull and very accurate out of the box. Of all the ones I have out to customers, I have had one bad trigger assembly. Sent it back to the factory for repair and it was back in less than a week! They installed a couple of updates and the new trigger assembly at no charge. Great value for the money and if you shoot decent ammo it will perform with no problems. JMHO!!

Last edited by big_bad_kitty; March 28, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old March 27, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4
flcjinflorida

@Kozak

The manufacturer has guarantee that stays with the handgun instead of the first owner. No matter how long the weapon has been in circulation, if you have a problem with it, they will fix it for you and will pay the shipping and handling charges. The gun shoots straight, and I love it.

I hope more people give their opinions on this wonderful gun.

"I carry a gun because my back can't handle the weight of a law enforcement officer. " -Me
Old March 28, 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
wbw

First off I'll admit that I don't have one, nor have I shot one. That said, they may be improved now, but four or five years ago when I did some research on the forums, I found nothing positive written about them. I passed on them.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:04 AM   #6
kozak6

Taurus offers a similar warranty except for the shipping part. So what? I'm still not sold.

Google suggests more bad reviews than good.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:31 AM   #7
deerslayer303

I have the CPX2 with the stainless slide. I love the little gun, it is as accurate as I am. You can be really accurate with them, if you just pull the trigger say half way (you can watch the little hammer travel rearward) then line up your shot and then finish the pull. I like to think of it as shooting it single action (well kinda). Its reliable too. Of all the ammo I ran through it, I've had exactly ONE stove pipe (with my reloads). Its a great little gun for the money and customer service is really good. I wouldn't shy away from another one. A friend at work bought his black one the same time I did and his has been a great gun so far. With that said, the first generation of SCCY's were pretty unreliable and the company got a bad rep from that. But this new generation of them are pretty good from what I can tell. And the people that bad mouth them DON'T EVEN OWN ONE! Go over the the SCCY Forum and read up, most everyones opinion of the new version is pretty good.
Old March 29, 2012, 05:12 AM   #8
bamiller

I don't own one of these nor do I know anything about them so as far as I know they may very well be a good pistol. What I am commenting on is the faith people seem to put in a lifetime warranty. A lifetme warranty is thrown around a lot in the marketing world but just remember that it is only good if the company is around for your entire lifetime and has the financial strength to back it. A lifetime warranty doesn't mean squat if a company goes out of business a year after you purchase a pistol. For this reason I don't put as much weight on the warranty as the company's customer service reputation and length of time its been making a quality product.
Old March 29, 2012, 06:02 AM   #9
deerslayer303

Quote:
A lifetime warranty doesn't mean squat if a company goes out of business a year after you purchase a pistol
This is very true, and well said cant hardly disagree with you there. I haven't had any trouble out of my pistol so far. They really do seem to be built rather well. However I do want to change the guide rod to the steel one that Midway sells.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Budda

I had a first gen. (SKYY) before the law suit....it was ok. till I found the blown apart chamber pictures on the web. You get what you pay for.

If you want a good looking gun that goes bang...then it is ok...just when it breaks.....don't whine.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Master Blaster 2

I HAVE ONE. The Generation 2 are fine concealed carry pistol. Mine has never had any issues, Good trigger pull and nice grip. Their customer service is fantastic.
If you get one get a GENERATION 2. Great value for the money.
Old April 28, 2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Grandpa1466

I am pleased with mine as well. I got the 2nd generation CPX-1, as I am just more comfortable with guns having a manual safety. I have about 500 rounds through it and find it to be very accurate, even out to 25 yards or so. Recoil and trigger pull are less of an issue than that of the Keltecs. The only thing I have to watch is that it is a little picky about ammo. It doesn't like the steel-cased Russian ammo or the hard primers in the Remington stuff. Other than that, it seems happy with everything I put through it. It is not a range or plinking gun, but it makes a good carry weapon and is easy to conceal.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:37 PM   #13
reaganmarine84

I can't say enough good about my CPX-2. Honestly I have only shot about 50 rds. through it ( hey,I'm on a budget and the last time I checked,ammo costs money). No issues whatsoever. My first wife's father called me up last month and asked me to help him purchase a home protection handgun. He's a retired law enforcement officer from the wheelgun era. He said to be on the lookout for a .38 spc. revolver for under $300 new or used. I suggested the CPX-2 because #1 it was only $230 brand new. #2 Comes with a trigger lock & 2 keys. #3 it has 2 10 rd magazines. #4 9mm is the 2nd most popular round on the planet. #5 Cost. 9mm is one of the most affordable to shoot calibers around. #6 9mm cartridge technology is at an all time peak efficiency and not to brutal on recoil allowing faster follow up shots. The CPX-2 is small enough as to not be to cumbersome for his old,small, frail hands. He should be okay with the heavy DA only trigger pull because of his experience with revolvers over the years.
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm & .40;(2)Taurus OSS DS 9mm;Taurus OSS DS .40;Taurus 809;809 compact;840;PT709 "slim" SS;PT738;full size BUL Cherokee;SCCY CPX-2;Smith&Wesson BG .380;Arcus 98 DA;EAA witness P 9mm;I.O. inc. AK-47C;Zastava PAP;Mossberg 500 tactical;Marlin model 60.
Old July 3, 2012, 11:10 PM   #14
2010superglide

great ccw

I have a SCCY 9mm CPX-2 and i love it,straight out the box a great gun,easy to conceal,right on target.would highly recommend.
Old July 4, 2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Jack Bauer

I got to handle one in a local shop. I didn't care for the feel of it at all. It actually felt more blocky in my hand than Glocks do, and I hate Glocks... I passed on it...

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old July 28, 2012, 12:11 AM   #16
Bjdiaz1

Bought my CPX-2 on the CTD website and I love it. Definitely an improvement over the Kel-Tec PF-9, which I also own and use as my CCW. The CPX-2 stays in my bedroom close by for home defense because my wife can shoot it as well. Not the PF-9 due to the violent recoil. Two comments: 1) You must use the slide release to chamber the first round in a magazine (direct recommendation from SCCY by phone) - can't do that with the PF-9 because the slide release is just too hard to operate. 2) It is true the mags have some pointed corners that are uncomfortable. Filed them down and smoothed the corners. 10+1 vs 7+1 on the PF-9, but the PF-9 is slightly narrower and lighter. Fluff & buff is a must before you fire it for the first time - same as the PF-9. Future tests... fire as many different types of rounds as I can to see which compatible and which are not. I'm convinced that every gun has a personality of its own when it comes to ammo they like.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:45 PM   #17
twhidd

SCCY Industries was started up by some former Keltec employees. They had kind of a bad reputation around the forums a few years ago. To start with, the company originally spelled their name SKYY. That changed when they got sued by Skyy Vodka for trademark infringement.

I also read somewhere that the company VP would troll the Keltec forums pretending to be a first time buyer of a SCCY pistol. He would talk up his gun while at the same time bashing the Keltec. Somehow they figured out who he was and he ended up with egg on his face.

Their first generation guns were not very good. Maybe they've overcome their growing pains.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:04 AM   #18
LantanaTX

Hello, I am new on here. If I had read more reviews, I probably would have been scared to buy this gun. I bought a CPX-2 a few weeks ago. I was impressed with the gun as it seemed like a great gun for the money. It sure looked better made than anything else in the price range. I have since shot about 300 rounds through it and love this gun. Not a single problem and it seems very accurate at 7 yards and at 30 yards. The trigger pull is very smooth but heavier than I would like, but I am used to a Thompson Contender with a trigger job. This is my first defensive hand gun. My old home protection gun was a AK 47 and I only shot the TC in competition. My CPX-2 was made in July 2012. It seems like earlier problems have been addressed. I have also not experienced any lose pins. Seems like a perfect gun. I am not sure what spending hundreds more would have gotten me. I am now looking for a full size hand gun and the Ruger SR9 or SR40 Looks like a good value for my second gun.