The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2017, 05:46 PM   #1
MMitch

Glock 43 First Impressions

So today I finally caved and bought a Glock 43. This choice came after hours of research over several days. The main reason I chose Glock over the competition is how the gun feels in my hand (which further reinforces that you should never buy a gun online without handling it).

The competition was the P-64, Bersa Thunder .380, and the S&W Shield. These are all outstanding firearms and I'm sure that they would have served me admirably. The P-64 was considered for its size but was thrown out due to lack of aftermarket support. Ther Bersa was considered because I love DA/SA pistols but was thrown out because I didn't like how thick it was. The Shield was only considered because it was cheaper and had higher capacity, but I've never liked the ergonomics on S&W M&P's.

So here it is. I got this really cool Dou-tone FDE frame. It's a small thing but I think it dresses up the Glock a little more.

Overall the gun shoots very well for its size. When shooting +P loads the gun definitely snaps, but with Blazer brass 115grs the recoil is very tame. I'd describe the recoil as reserved, almost like a spring under tension trying to uncoil but never doing so. Whatever Glock has done to limit the recoil in this gun is working. There is quite a bit of muzzle flip but nothing compared to the similar sized XDS that I used to own. I had no stoppages in the two-hundred rounds I shot this morning. Currently, the gun is loaded with Hornady Critical Duty and had no problem running through 50 of those while at the range.

The trigger is definitely heavier and has a noticeably spongy take-up. The break is clean every time and the reset is short. This allows the gun to function very well after the first shot is fired. My groups were OK and at combat distances this pistol has absolutely no issues holding solid groups.

Here's a group from 7 yards. Mind my tendency to pull low left.

For now, the pistol is riding in a cheapo Uncle Mikes nylon holster. It conceals better than my S&W J-Frame under a T-Shirt and gives me two extra rounds. The pinky grip allows me a better hold on the gun, but the standard base plate still allows about half my pinky on the gun.

If you have any questions please ask away. I figured I would do a write up for anyone considering one.
Old July 15, 2017, 06:07 PM   #2
CalmerThanYou

Hope you enjoy the 43, I really like mine, and it carries well. I have a Hyve Technologies +2 extended mag you may want to take a look at. Increases grip surface, capacity and looks cool to boot!!
Old July 15, 2017, 06:09 PM   #3
MMitch

I just invested in a Pearce extension. I'll look into that company too though!
Old July 15, 2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I recently had the opportunity to shoot a G43, and (sadly) must admit that I didn't care for it. At least not as much as I liked the Shield or XDs (in that order). Nonetheless, welcome to TFL, MMitch, and thank you for the review.
Old July 15, 2017, 06:43 PM   #5
MMitch

We all have our own preferences which is great.
Old July 16, 2017, 08:27 AM   #6
lunger

Congrats on the new 43. I also chose one after trying other options. It has since become my every day carry.

A unsolicited suggestion on the low left. I also had this issue. For me I switched from using the pad of my trigger finger to the first joint. That was all it took for me. Worth a try .
Old July 16, 2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Fishbed77

Nice pistol.

I was recently in the market for another conceal carry 9mm and also heavily considered adding a 43 to the stable (and maybe still will one day), as it feels good in hand and I tend to shoot the double-stack Glocks very well.

But it was just too hard for me to ignore the fact that the Shield costs less than half the price (at the least with the recent S&W rebate), is practically the same size, and has better capacity. But the Glock still feels better in hand.
Old July 16, 2017, 11:07 AM   #8
Jim Watson

I agree with Fishbed. I got to shoot a friend's new G43 yesterday and prefer it to the Shield. But they are nearly giving Shields away, so you need to make the comparison. He did and he went Glock.
Old July 16, 2017, 12:06 PM   #9
MMitch

Price was a big issue for me too. I ended up trading an old gun which cut the cost down considerably. The Shield is definitely a better value proposition, if it fits your needs/hands.
Old July 16, 2017, 12:32 PM   #10
LockedBreech

Glock 43 First Impressions

I bought the cheap shield (ended up $215 out of pocket) and still ended up trading for a G43. I just can't make the M&P hinged trigger work for me, no matter how hard I try.

Quality control seemed excellent compared to my 2010 M&P 40 and it cycled 100 perfect Gold Dot 124 +Ps.

If the Shield works for you it's really a solid choice, even at the normal price point. I just shoot the Glock better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 16, 2017, 12:38 PM   #11
mk70ss

I like mine a lot, just wish the trigger was a little better out of the box.
Old July 16, 2017, 04:04 PM   #12
Doc Holliday 1950

Mitch,
Welcome to the family. I too did the research and bought the G43. Mine came with front & rear Glock factory installed night sights. I didn't care a fig about the price difference of the shield. All I cared about was how it felt and how it handled. This little gem is a real straight shooter now that I adjusted my grip slightly.
Enjoy !!!

Doc
Old July 16, 2017, 05:30 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

At the time I was looking, I also compared a number of different makes side by side. This was probably a short time after the 43 came out. The LGS that I usually use, showed me a 43 that they had ordered and a customer hadn't picked it up yet. Unfortunately, at that time, delivery on the G43 was iffy at best so I went with the Shield. Had they had the G43 ins tock, it would have gone home with me.

Don't get me wrong - I really like my Shield and I now much prefer to carry that rather than my Smith 36 snub J frame.

A great write-up and with some practice with you new G43, you'll take care of the low to left shots I'm sure the more you get used to it. Thanks for sharing and enjoy it! I like the duo tone - it looks sharp!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 16, 2017, 10:52 PM   #14
MMitch

I too used to carry a J-frame. They are great guns, but I have near zero confidence in reloading it during a shooting.

The main reason I changed was that reloads under stress were significantly easier for me. My .38 now rides in my fiances purse with some reduced recoil loads. Somehow she shoots that better than anything else I put in her hand?
Old July 17, 2017, 12:52 PM   #15
vba

I picked the G43 over the Shield as well, even considering the price difference. Just felt better to me and I'm used to Glocks.
Old July 17, 2017, 10:08 PM   #16
Mosin44az

To me the big difference is the difference in size. I pocket carry here in Arizona, and the Glock 43 I can carry in my front pocket (De Santis Superfly, no panel). The Shield I THOUGHT I could carry that way, but no.

The Shield is actually more comfortable to shoot I think, though the Glock is comfortable, much more so than I thought when I first rented one.

They both seem about the same in accuracy. Both are very good carry pistols in 9mm.

If you pocket carry, the Glock wins. If not, I can see choosing the Shield, especially with the giveaway pricing these days.
Old July 18, 2017, 12:34 AM   #17
tallball

I have owned three small 9mm "pocket" pistols and handled all of them. The G43 is easily my favorite. Only two semi-automatic pistols have made it into my carry rotation, and it is one of them.
Old July 18, 2017, 02:59 AM   #18
MMitch

Maybe one day a shield will find it's way into my rotation. The fussy look of the M&P shield has always driven me away from it. I'm definitely a minimalist when it comes to firearm ashtetics.

Tags
conceal carry , concealed , glock , recoil sensitive , small gun