The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 3, 2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

BFS III for HK range experience

I preordered my BFS trigger pack when it was first announced. I did not play with it much when I first got it. I test fired it in my SBR MP5 and put it away. Yesterday was the second time I have actually used it.

In the MP5 the BFS offers a quick second shot. While shooting at a silhouette target I could usually put both shots in the A zone. The second shot went wild a few times.

There were some modifications required to use the BFS in my 23E. I had to take the dremel to the trigger pack to get the beltfed ejector lever in. Franklin armory did not account for the wider lever used in the 21 and 23 guns so some material had to be cut out. The screw they put in the front of the pack had to be cut out as well. I think it was to align the pack on the shelf or something. The screw was to tight to turn out with hex wrench so it got the dremel treatment. After some end user improvements the BFS was ready to be used in the 23E.

Shooting the binary trigger in a 19 pound belt fed was more fun than the SBR. A RPM of roughly 500 was easy to attain. By loosening my grip and shooting very sloppy I was able to get a rate of fire close to the 800 RPM that the 23E will fire with a full-auto trigger pack. Shooting very quickly would usually end with me "outrunning" the trigger. My bursts would end with a dead trigger and I would have to cycle the action to recock the hammer.

After 300 rounds in the 23E the stupid little screw that retains the selector switch walked out. I put it back in and got it finger tight. I am not happy that Franklin armory would use such a easy to loose screw to hold in an important part of the pack. Poor design choice.

I experienced several light primer strikes (4 in 100 shots) when shooting LC M855. I had no problems with Prvi M193.

I am not very impressed with the binary trigger to be honest. The single (first) shot trigger pull is crap. It's heavy and gritty. Not as good as semi auto HK trigger. It's fun, don't get me wrong.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:33 PM   #2
ttarp

I wasn't particularly impressed using it in my MP5 "clone" either, maybe if I put more time into it I could get the controlled pairs down better, but my local ranges frown on any rapid fire, so I don't really have a good spot to practice with it.

At the moment its sitting in a PTR91 with a .22 kit, I haven't had the chance to take it out yet, but I figure it should be pretty fun with that setup.

And I absolutely agree that the selector lever is poorly designed, not only is it fugly, its a pain to switch between housings because of the hex screws.