The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 1, 2015, 10:20 PM   #1
Rookie21

Withdrawals

The competitive season is over! Or at least for me locally and the Nationals is long over with. I shot some after that in late September and a couple times in October. But not since. I'm itching to practice but more so I really want another match/tournament. Heck even bullseye is over locally.... Winters weren't this bad when I wasn't a competitive shooter.
Old December 2, 2015, 12:08 AM   #2
Model12Win

The season is just getting started for me.

I've got a Harpers Ferry 1807 percussion converted .54 caliber horse pistol, and a Colt's revoling belt pistol of naval caliber that are begging to be shot. Yeah, I chose a crummy time to get back into black powder shooting... cold, numb fingers don't make it easy!
Old December 2, 2015, 12:42 AM   #3
Hawg

The only one I compete against is myself and I don't care if I lose or not.
Old December 2, 2015, 10:21 AM   #4
g.willikers

No indoor shooting matches in your area?
If not, you could start one, if there's an accommodating indoor range.
Or maybe a shelter at a local outdoor range could be built.
One I used to go to had a shelter made of scrapped out porch doors and windows, with a propane heater.
Worked pretty good, too.
Another one had a old trailer with a heater folks shot out of for rifle silhouette matches.
Both were kind of primitive, but better than sitting home complaining.
Old December 2, 2015, 07:32 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Rookie - I feel your pain!

As I get older . . . I hate winter weather all the more. Usually, we're in AZ by now and out there, it's very pleasant shooting outdoors this time of year. We usually go to the Pima County Range up north of Tucson where you are shooting with the Catalina Mountains as a back drop - beautiful place.

Here in MI . . I have a 50 yard range on the farm. I stop shooting before November 15 when deer season starts . . and by the end of it, Nov. 30, it's usually cold, wet, maybe snowy and just plain miserable so I end up doing more in the reloading room.

As far as competing . . . I usually shoot alone and compete against myself . . which means there is very little competition! :roll eyes:

If you don't have any matches nearby but still are able to get out and shoot . . . maybe you should try and find a "postal shoot" or even start one with the fellows you know. Just don't bet down about it . . . Spring WILL come . . . eventually!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 3, 2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Model12Win

Quote:
No indoor shooting matches in your area?
No, the ranges around here says all the black powder smoke clogs up the filters.

One more reason why I'm slowly beginning to dislike winter. Used to be my favorite time of year, but anymore not so much since I've taken up so many outdoor hobbies.
Old December 4, 2015, 09:45 AM   #7
g.willikers

There's really only one solution for your problem.
Become a southerner.
But then, no doubt, we'd be hearing complaints about how it's too hot to go outside in the summer.
Ya' can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time..........
Old December 4, 2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
There's really only one solution for your problem.
Become a southerner.
But then, no doubt, we'd be hearing complaints about how it's too hot to go outside in the summer.
But, but, but it IS too hot.
Old December 4, 2015, 09:48 PM   #9
44 Dave

Where I live we have "snow birds" they live up here in Summer then fly South for Winter.
Old December 5, 2015, 08:59 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Move to Arizona . . . it gets hot but just ask anybody . . "it's a dry heat". :roll eyes: That's why my wife and I are "snow birds" . . we go back north in the summer!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 6, 2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Move to Arizona . . . it gets hot but just ask anybody . . "it's a dry heat". :roll eyes: That's why my wife and I are "snow birds" . . we go back north in the summer!
Come down south where the humidity is high. You'll appreciate that dry heat.
Old December 6, 2015, 09:36 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Hawg - years ago, my folks had a place in Florida where they would "winter". A nice place to visit but I always felt like as soon as I got a shower and dressed, I was ready to get another shower due to the humidity. My in-laws lived there as well year round for a few years . . we visited them once in July . . never again.

That's why we chose to be "snowbirds" in AZ . . . and I love the dry heat. But, we still have to come back to MI in the spring/summer due to still having property up here. The past couple of years, we've had to delay our departure to AZ as my Mother in law is 94 and in Assisted Living in MI (she used to winter with us in AZ). Hopefully we can "escape" right after Christmas and head to AZ for a couple of months. Been there in the summer and it is hot! But eventually, we may do it full time . . . and spend the major part of the day in AC!