The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 27, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
BerdanSS

# 1 reticle Muzzle loader scope?

Any one know of a low power (1-4 or something close to that) muzzle loader scope with a German # 1? Can't really find anything.

Other suggestions for a low power scope with a simple reticle other than a duplex? something that won't get destroyed with 150gr magnum loads.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Pahoo

Many Choices

Have you considered a Shotgun-M/L rated scope with the longer Eye-relief, like the Pro-Diamond and perhaps, even illuminated? I see them listed in Natchez, all the time. ...
How about a RedDot

Be Safe !!!
Old February 28, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
SSA

Nikon Monarch 1-4 with the #4.

Leupold custom shop.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:47 PM   #4
BerdanSS

Pahoo

Thanks I'll check that site out, not wanting a red dot.

SSA

I think I was looking at those this morning...but at the one with the circle dot.

Will any rifle scope work? or does it HAVE to be for a muzzle-loader. I would think the shock would be less on a ML than say a .300 win mag.
Old March 1, 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
SSA

Any good rifle scope will work. Almost all the low-powered scopes available have a duplex, or some sort of a ballistic compensating reticle, or take batteries.
Leupold makes the 1-4 or 2-7 with half a dozen different reticles. Turkey plex, pig plex, sabre, wide duplex. There are probably a dozen more available from the custom shop.
Old March 2, 2013, 02:56 PM   #6
BerdanSS

DNZ Game Reaper Mount?

I've narrowed it down to four. Nikon 3x32 BCD, Millett 1-4x24 DMS, Leupold 1-4x20 VX-1, or a Burris fullfield tactical 1-4x24.

I also found this nice, solid looking scope mount made by DNZ.

Anyone use one of these? thoughts? This is made specifically for CVA inlines older than 2009. Looks solid, I know it will obstruct the top of the breech plug for primer removal, but I can still get it out the side.

Last edited by BerdanSS; March 2, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:32 PM   #7
SSA

The Nikon 3X32 might be too short to fit in a DNZ mount.
Old March 3, 2013, 12:01 AM   #8
BerdanSS

Thanks for the heads up...I'll measure the scope when I go to gander mountain tomorrow afternoon. They carry all of the ones I mentioned in stock except for the Millett. They have the Nikon 3x32 BCD in stock cheaper than I could find it online.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:10 PM   #9
BerdanSS

Well after doing a mock up of the reaper mount with an extra PRI rail section I had....I fount it to be a complete PITA to remove a primer with a one piece base/ring setup. And as SSA said, I believe the scope I decided on wouldn't fit in the mount.

So I opted for the Durasight Z2s. They are two solid bolt on ring/mounts for a 1" tube and were made for the CVA. They'er pretty nice and well made for $25. And they match the color I did on the barrel to boot.

Old March 4, 2013, 09:11 PM   #10
bamaranger

Leupold

I bought a used Leupold 1-4x shotgun scope off ebay, (Vari x II) and shipped that rascal off to Leupold. For $55 bucks they put a genuine German #1, that big funky 3 post reticle, in it. I had it back inside 2 weeks.

For quick and close, out to about 150 yds on deer, and in bad light, it works very well. You will see a non illuminated #1 , in bad light, better than any other non illuminated reticle on the market, I am quite certain.

It would be ideal if one were wanting to scope a turkey gun also.