The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 9, 2007, 05:25 PM   #1
CJ Journigan

Shooting Lessons In The Orlando Area

Howdy,

I am looking to start giving private shooting lessons in the Orlando area. I do not have any certifications on paper, yet, as an instructor but I am 42 and have been shooting all my life. I was raised in Bullcreek Fl. and have had a firearm since I was 8 years old. I was always naturally a good shot.

In my teens I was in the local Saint Cloud police explorers and was top shooter on their pistol team. We were lucky enough to have one of the best firearms instructors in the state at the time (Daniel Smith) working at SCPD. Dan went on to work for Kissimmee SO also as their range officer, I believe.

I really honed my shooting skills and range etiquette under Dan's instruction. At 18 I enlisted in the USMC (oooh raaah !!) where I never quallified with a score of under 247 out of 250 possible. During quallifcation if a fellow jarhead was having a problem qualifying, Top would always send them to me to work with them. I never helped anyone that didn't make it.

After the USMC, I went to work at GCI as a prison guard. I was the top shooter on their pistol team and shot top of my class in West Palm Beach Police Academy (99%). Again, I worked with alot of shooters having problems and always got them on track.

I'm not trying to brag just let people know my background. I'm not a guy who wants to show off, I just love shooting and would like to help others improve while doing something I really love and make a little $. I was thinking about starting at around $25.00 a session. If the you aren't satisfied afterwards, then there would be no charge.

No, there would be no certificates or plaques but if you just want to improve your shooting skills, I might be able to help you out.

Any feedback would be welcome.

If anyone is intrested drop please me an e-mail.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:11 PM   #2
whip1

Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on anyone without some sort of certification. There's also a big difference between having a bunch of knowledge, and sharing it with others. I'm a former Motorcycle Safety Instructor. Good riders don't always make good teachers.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:38 PM   #3
CJ Journigan

I hear you Bro, that's why I would never charge anyone who didn't feel like they got their moneys worth out of the deal.

On the flipside, ther are lots of great teachers in the world with and without certifications. I am not trying to start a school, just help out some shooters.

My certification is my experience but I am trying to find NRA instructors in my area that train other instructors and am excited to get that going.

thanks for the input

All XXXXX's
Old February 10, 2007, 12:10 AM   #4
Gbro

Ther are 4H shooting sports
http://4h.ifas.ufl.edu/Getting_Involved.htm

Youth firearms Safety,
http://myfwc.com/huntered/become_an_instructor.htm

NRA Instructor Training
http://www.nrahq.org/education/train...ate=FL&Type=IT

Get established, then start your own thing, Like an LLC with a training syllabus.
Old February 10, 2007, 01:56 AM   #5
inkie

My advice would be to contact the education dep't at the NRA ask if there are any local certified instructors or coaches who are training NRA members in your area to be certified instructors in the discipline you will teach. If none are close tell them your story they may have an alternative. I would not train any one on your own without some type of certificate showing you are proficient due to the lawyers waiting in the background if an accident occurrs. Also I am pretty sure any range or club will not let you teach any one without certification. Lastly, I strongly reccommend insurance which you can get through a company that the NRA deals with. Good Luck! an NRA Certified Instructor.
Old February 10, 2007, 06:12 AM   #6
CJ Journigan

Rodger That,

I have already spoken to the NRA firearms instructor at our local indoor range and gotten the national phone # for the NRA to find trainers in our area. I am waiting for their call back. He got all of his certifications from out of state. That's not possible for me right now but I did want to get the ball rollin'.

Thanks for the info.
Old May 23, 2010, 09:10 AM   #7
stephon1975

Shooting lessons

Hi,
I am interested in marksmanship training. I read your post and dont care if you dont have certificates. Paper and certificates are not everything, besides your doing something you love to do. Thats the american dream. I live in Orlando when do we meet and begin? I would like to see how good you are with my own eyes. I am intrested in pistol,shotgun and rifle marksmanship.Leave some kind of contact info for me ... phone#,e-mail something.Thank you for taking the time to read this email. Have a great day.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:11 PM   #8
S&W Kinda Guy

This is from February 9, 2007, which was THREE years ago. The OP hasn't been active since Last Activity: February 11, 2007 07:01 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 02:17 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

Firearms training; resources, Orlando area training schools..

Hello;
I'm not entirely sure of how much you know of the current Orlando, Florida shooting scene/firearms-tactics training.
You sound like you have a solid foundation to teach basic classes or firearms/CC license requirements to entry level students but I'd add this information if you may/may not know it;

1) Join the NRA, become a NRA certified firearms instructor and if possible a Refuse To Be A Victim class instructor. This will give you more insight on teaching new students(non LEO/corrections or military).
2) Go to the FL Div of Licensing: www.mylicensesite.com and apply/get a K(firearms instructor) DI(security instructor/teacher) and if possible a D(unarmed security) G(armed security). A MB(security mgr) license Wouldve good too but not a immediate requirement. I'd think you have a W/concealed license already as a Florida resident.
3) After you get more training-licenses, I'd work on a contract/short term basis for a central Florida area security/CCW class training center like S2; www.S2Institute.com RG Security Center; www.RG-security.com or another quality/respected company. Many new security industry students go to B&A or Brantly & Associates but I would not advise it. They teach classes and get high profile armed security/EP(bodyguard) details for film/tv & sporting events etc but they are poorly managed and run. I worked for the security firm for 7 weeks on a storm recovery detail after Wilma in 2005. The mgmt & security support staff had a lot of major problems(payroll, duty rosters, client relations). Many supervisors called themselves COL and LT and SGT but were worthless. A few officers on the posts were very upset with it.
4) The gun shop & range at Shoot Straight in Apopka/441 and the new location of Oak Ridge Gun Range near Orange Ave in Orlando are decent.
You also be able to teach range students outdoors here; www.cfrpc.com .
NOTE; I am not a member and I would check the rules/SOP before you use the range or property for any class-student use. The club officers or mgmt may grant permission but I can't speak for them.

I'd avoid the Reig's gun range on south OBT for formal classes. It's in a seedy/bad area and the indoor range is in rough shape. The Casselberry Shoot Straight location(rental range) isn't bad but they have had a few shootings/incidents there and I wouldn't call it very safe.
The Shooting Gallery by the Orange County Jail complex on John Young Highway is ok. It's been about 6 years since I went there.

Feel free to PM me if you want. As I posted the NRA & Div of Licensing seem to be the best resources to start.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:52 AM   #10
wayneinFL

Quote:
1) Join the NRA, become a NRA certified firearms instructor and if possible a Refuse To Be A Victim class instructor. This will give you more insight on teaching new students(non LEO/corrections or military).
Of course, this thread died about three years ago, but if anyone's interested you have to find a training counselor to get certified as an instructor. Go through the NRA website: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Shop around. The instructor's courses in Florida range from $140 to over $400, making it worth your while to stay in a hotel overnight if need be.