The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 18, 2014, 04:48 PM   #1
lawstudent

Petition for FOID Card in Illinois

Hi, would anyone mind sending me a sample petition to the Circuit Court appealing the Illinois State Police’s denial of a convicted felon’s FOID card application? I'm trying to file a petition on behalf of my client, but I'm not sure what information to include on the petition itself.

Thank you!
Old April 18, 2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, lawstudent!

I don't know for certain that any of the lawyers here are from Illinois, so I'm not sure any of us has an Illinois petition like the one you describe on hand. With that said, a quick Westlaw search on "felon and FOID" turned up a couple of cases.

For example:
Hiland v. Trent, 373 Ill. App. 3d 582, 868 N.E.2d 396 (2007)
Martin v. Office of State's Attorney of Cook Cnty., 2011 IL App (1st) 102718, 959 N.E.2d 1264

Perhaps you could pull the petitions from the records of the appellate courts on those?
Old April 19, 2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Luger_carbine

I think you would be better off posting on the IllinoisCarry forum:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showforum=3

I think they even have a few topics that deal with this very question.
Old April 20, 2014, 06:32 AM   #4
wally626

Just a question, but under what circumstances would a convicted felon be allowed a FOID card since they are in general forbidden from owning guns? I would assume one that has had their civil rights restored, but any other circumstance?
Old April 21, 2014, 06:49 AM   #5
2ndsojourn

^^^ If the procedure to get a FOID card in Illinois is anything like New Jersey, forget it. It's much the same procedure for buying a gun.
Old April 21, 2014, 06:57 AM   #6
Armed_Chicagoan

The procedure is nothing like that in NJ. No fingerprints, no meeting with local or state police, no multiple forms to fill out. Just fill out a form that is similar to a 4473 and send it in along with $10. 3-6 weeks later (the wait has gone down a lot since last year) you get your FOID which is good for 10 years.

A PITA and probably unconstitutional, but not nearly as bad as some would lead you to believe.