The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 10:19 PM   #1
hightechstuff2

WFT Case Trimmer and Lee Sizing Die for .223...

Hey Everyone,
I'm slowly putting together my reloading setup and recently purchased a WFT case trimmer for my 223 brass. So, I had to try this thing out right away.... I have a Dillon 1050 and .223 Lee dies. Yeah, I wanted Dillon dies but didn't want to wait for the long backorder.

So, I used the full resize die and resized a few cases. The problem is, the cases are damn tight in the WFT. You really have to pull hard to get these suckers out.

I first blamed the WFT but then I decided to check an unfired 223 in the trimmer and it slips in and out just fine. Now, I have the Lee die set in the 1050 as described in the instructions... Bottomed out on the indexing plate and then backed off a quarter turn.

So,,, Am I doing something wrong? Do Lee dies suck? Do lee dies not work in the 1050? A little advice would be great as I'm a total newb at reloading.
Thanks!
HTS
Old March 1, 2013, 01:07 AM   #2
higgite

Why did you back the die off 1/4 turn? My Lee sizer instructions say screw the die in until it touches the shell holder, then lower the ram and screw the die in 1/4 to 1/3 turn more. Sounds like the die isn't adjusted properly to resize the case shoulder.
Old March 1, 2013, 01:29 AM   #3
hightechstuff2

Yeah, my bad... I meant I screwed it "IN" a quarter turn, not out.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
hightechstuff2

Anyone.... Anyone.... Bueller...
Old March 2, 2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Mobuck

Maybe I'm a little green(only been handloading for 45 years) but I'm not familiar with a WFT trimmer.
I use LEE dies and haven't had any problems with them doing a proper job of sizing the case.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:49 AM   #6
Sport45

Quote:
I use LEE dies and haven't had any problems with them doing a proper job of sizing the case.
Me neither.

Have you tried sizing a case with that die in a single stage press, verifying the case holder contacts the bottom of the die while sizing?
Old March 3, 2013, 04:22 AM   #7
chris in va

What lube are you using?
Old March 3, 2013, 01:50 PM   #8
hightechstuff2

I used One Shot for my test. After reading about 100 or so people hating the stuff, I picked up a bottle of lanolin and plan to make a 10:1 mixture of 99% isopropyl and lanolin and see how that works in the press. I'll try it today.

I have not tried the die in a different press as all I have is the 1050. The die does go all the way down the brass and physically hits the shell plate.

Well, I'll try again with the DCL clone and report back....
Old March 3, 2013, 02:55 PM   #9
FtrPilot

Do the resized cases fit into your rifle's chamber OK, or are they also a tight fit in your rifle's chamber? If they chamber OK, then I would suspect that the WFT is out of tolerance. If they are tight in the WFT and your rifle's chamber, then I would suspect that the Lee dies are out of tolerance. If you suspect the Lee dies, then you may want to try a small base die such as:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/205...-223-remington

Hope this helps.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:01 PM   #10
hightechstuff2

Okay, I used the Dillon Case Lube clone and the brass swages smoother in the Lee die and also fits "Better" in the WFT. Still a little sticking but not nearly as bad.

I checked a cartrage in my 5.56 chamber. I'm no expert but it seems to fit okay. It's a little tight but it will fully seat if I drop the bolt from about a quarter inch. Extraction seems fine.

Is it general consensus that I would have to reset the trimmer for each type of headstamp? They seem to over-trim when I try a different headstamp. Like LC versus FC.

I guess this is just all part of the learning process. It seems like necked cartrages can be a real PITA.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:35 PM   #11
jeffreyulatan

I used to use the WFT trimmer a long time ago. I had the exact same problem as you. The problem was the die I was using. I adjusted it using a headspace guage, and also adjusted the WFT trimmer. It was a pain to adjust the trimmer to make it trim 1.750. Also when using that type of trimmer DO NOT FORCE the brass into the trimmer. Use light downward pressure, twist and remove.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Dave P

I wish I knew what a WFT is.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:55 PM   #13
tmorone

The only time I've had a problem using that die is when I didn't take the lube off cases before using it. Once they're de-lubed it works great.

Finally I got sick of my fingers hurting and stepped up to the Dillon 1200 trimmer though. Wawaweewah is that thing great!
Old March 3, 2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Sport45

Quote:
I wish I knew what a WFT is.
It's the World's Finest Trimmer. (At least that's the name of the thing.)
Old March 3, 2013, 09:41 PM   #15
jason75979

Re: WFT Case Trimmer and Lee Sizing Die for .223...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
It's the World's Finest Trimmer. (At least that's the name of the thing.)
Thank you, almost 3 days I've been wondering *** is a WFT
Old March 3, 2013, 10:06 PM   #16
brokenanew

I didn't know what WFT was either. Where did you get the dies? I had a .223 LEE full length sizing die and it just barely, I mean right on the line size within specs which wasn't good enough for my Colt AR. They would cycle out of the AR but if I had to manually eject it, I sometimes had to get mean with it. Come to find out it(the dies) was a counterfeit from China. I got it off ebay. It was a darn good counterfeit though. Cases sized in it would actually work in my bolt but not in the AR. The other dies in the kit work like a champ. Either way ill never buy something like that off ebay again.

That was just my experience. Make sure you measure all aspects of the case and see if its sizing within specs?