The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 28, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1
chuppathingy

Pistol-caliber carbine ballistics question...?

Hey, all. I've been trying to figure out which caliber of pistol ammunition has the best accuracy and punch for long range shooting out of same/similar-length carbine barrels. I'm particularly looking to compare/contrast the following semi-auto calibers, if possible, and any others that you might find to be useable:
9mm - .380 ACP - .40 S&W - .45 ACP - .357 SIG - 10mm - 5.7x28mm

I've heard some controversy over the effectiveness of the 5.7mm being approximately as effective as a .22 WMR, but the ballistics information provided compared the 5.7mm from a P90 barrel (10" or so) to a .22 WMR through an 18" barrel, so I'm not sure how trustworthy that info is (hence the need to compare through similar barrel lengths).

Any information that you might be able to provide about accuracy and impact performance (hopefully with references and/or sources) would be appreciated!
Old May 28, 2010, 09:23 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

The handgun ammo with the best improvement for distance shooting out of a carbine is the revolver calibers, .357mag and .44Mag. But that generally means a lever gun.

All of the pistol rounds pick up some speed from the longer barrels of carbine, some benefit more than others. In auto pistol calibers, I only have one carbine, and thats a Tommygun (semi) in .45ACP.

Can't say exactly what kind of power increase there is (haven't chronographed it), but if you can manage the horrid spongey trigger, it will put 5 shots in one ragged hold at 25yds, and, using the ladder sight, ring the 200 meter rifle gong.

I imagine a 10mm carbine would do some nice things, but they aren't exactly common.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:52 PM   #3
MHbushmaster

PCC's are fun but not all the practical aside from close range shooting.

Yes, a .357mag can gain a good amount of velocity with a longer barrel, however its still at 150 yards and in rifle.

I have a Kel Tec Sub2000 carbine in .40sw that I use as a stow away rifle on car trips, camping, etc. It allows me to have a PCC instead of just a handgun where a normal rifle wouldn't be "kosher".

I've recently built a 9mm AR primarily to finish off a lower that had no upper to make it work and partially because it is cheap to feed with my dillon 550b cranking out 115gr reloads at 250+ per hour.

It feeds from uzi mags and I've got a pencil profile colt barrel. It is light weight and pack 32 rds of 9mm fun.

Is it really practical for hunting or is it better than a 5.56 AR, nope.

But its cheap, fun, and I made it out of mish-mashed parts and its a hoot.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:39 PM   #4
ogree

Quote:
I imagine a 10mm carbine would do some nice things, but they aren't exactly common.
Agreed, out of the calibers you listed....the 10mm would probably be the best performer out of a carbine.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:45 PM   #5
bamaranger

pistol cal and long range

Pistol cal and long range do not compute. The closest on your list would be the 5.7 x28, which appears to me as a rifle ctg that shrunk!

I cannot say about anti personnel use, but the 5.7 looks like a 200 yd + varminter to me. Same out of an accurate bolt rifle would be an interesting and novel piece.

Even the power house .44 mag has a rainbow trajectory that rules out long range.

Tags
ammunition , ballistics , maximum range , pistol , rifle