The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 11, 2009, 02:23 AM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

Leupold Alumina scope covers

I was recently offered a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm with the alumina covers for $200.00 by an acquaintance low on cash, being in the same position, I had to decline, but did look up the covers as a possible add-on to a VX-1 I currently own.

Holy expensive scope covers Batman! The least expensive set I found was $80.00, or 35% of the retail price of a VX-1.

What in the world am I not seeing here? I'm sure it's a well made product, but the price seems a bit excessive. Someone who uses these please clue me in here....
Old October 11, 2009, 10:00 PM   #2
oldandslow

Dr., 10/12/09

I just re-scoped my Remington 700 ADL .270 Winchester with a new Leopold 2.5-8 power VX-3 scope and added the threaded Alumina scope covers for both ends. I got them for about the same price you mentioned, about $80.00 via the internet along with the scope for $429. The cost to me also seemed to be excessive but I was too lazy to look up other models of covers which would keep my new scope lenses safe. I would go with other, more reasonably priced covers if I had it to do over again.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old October 11, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

Thanks for the info, they look like great covers, but a bit rich for my blood. I think I will try to pick up the VX-II I mentioned if the fellow is still selling. Looks like new at about half the retail, including the covers.
Old October 11, 2009, 11:32 PM   #4
zoomie

Heck, I'll take it if you don't buy it! For $200, that's a steal.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:03 AM   #5
mkim1120

how good are these scopes?
Old October 18, 2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
how good are these scopes?
Ah, the age old scope quality question. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Telescopic sights are an example of a product where you get what you pay for for the most part. Decide what you need a scope to do and purchase a product that matches that level of performance. It's very easy to overspend, not that you won't get a quality product, just that you may not ever see the benefits.

I just picked up a new in box Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm 40 $167.00, or about 27% off the average retail price. For my needs, that's a great deal. The VX-1 line of scopes is a high end entry level scope. It's not a $1200.00 scope, nor is it advertised as such. It's a quality sight for someone who hunts and shoots on the range casually.

Leupold makes a range of quality, sort of a good, better, best. The VX-1 is in the good range, many other manufacturers are closing in on the same quality in that price range. Leupold makes quality optics, but look through a few other brands before you make the decision to buy. Your eyes make the decision, not mine.
Old October 29, 2009, 10:17 PM   #7
wetdawg

Leupold scope quality

American made- top notch optics, a warranty for the lifetime. They're very good. VxII is a superb scope for any cartridge rifle combo. And protecting the lens goes with covers and a quality lens cleaning kit.
$200 with the covers, it's a great deal!
There has never been an enemy soldier killed with: A Basketball, A Volley Ball, A Bowling Ball, A Tennis Ball, A Boxing Glove, A Baseball, A Football, A Golf Ball...This has always been the task of an accomplished MARKSMAN!!!