The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 2009, 11:53 AM   #1
BigGunsMoreFun

Which of these 3 shotguns for clays?

I'm thinking about getting a new shotgun for shooting clays. I shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays quite often. Up until now I have been borrowing or renting shotguns or using one of the cheap shotguns I own.

I really like side by sides. I can't stand over and unders (it feels like I'm trying to swing a baseball bat around). Autoloaders are nice when I shoot a couple of rounds of sporting clays (250 rounds in a day) due to the reduced recoil.

So here are the 3 guns I really like that I have used by either borrowing or renting. I'd like to know which of the 3 any of you would buy if you could only buy one and why you think it is a better gun than the other 2.

1. Remington 1100 Competition

2. CZ-USA Model 202b Bobwhite

3. Beretta AL 391 Urika 2 Classic Sporting

I know there are probably better guns out there if I wanted to spend the price of a small car but I'm looking for a decent all around clay gun somewhere close to or under $1500.

Out of the 3 above I really liked the CZ the best. I am partial to SxS, double trigger shotguns. However, I don't know much about CZ guns and it does get rough shooting 200+ rounds a day. I know that Remington and Beretta are good reliable guns.

Right now I'm using a cheap Remington SPR453 autoloader. It's one of those cheap Russian / Baikal guns. It's okay but it leaves quite a bit to be desired. It's definitely a case of you get what you pay for with that gun. I'm ready to upgrade.

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Molon Labe,
Joe

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid."--Mark Twain
Old July 12, 2009, 01:04 PM   #2
oneounceload

Personally, I would go with Beretta first, Remington 2nd and the CZ 3rd.

The Beretta is THE semi auto you see in sporting clays....easy to take care of, well built, will last a long time. Remington's are an older design, albeit a good one (I have a sporting clays model in 28 gauge), but there have been numerous mentions of spotty quality as of late. The CZ, being Turkish, also has been getting reports of spotty quality, and there is some question whether it is up to the rigorous shooting demands of sporting clays over the long term.

FWIW, the current NSCA champion uses a Beretta 391
Old July 12, 2009, 02:14 PM   #3
mwar410

the 391 is the all around gun. it does very well for all aspects of clay shooting, as well as hunting. It has "fit" adjustments that the other two you mentioned don't. I shoot one for clays , and my other is my hunting gun. You can't go wrong.
Old July 12, 2009, 10:01 PM   #4
clang

Definatley the Beretta 391, but there are many Rem 1100 fans out there.

If you want to save soem money, look for a used Beretta 390. Mobil Chokes instead of Optima and not back-bored, but a reaaly great gun that can be found used for around $500 (if you lok hard enough).
Old July 12, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

clang meant me...... rem.... always
Old July 12, 2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Ruger4570

From my experience, I'd go with the Berreta first, Remington second. I apologize, CZ's aren't on my radar at all.
Old July 12, 2009, 11:32 PM   #7
3 gun

Which one fits?

Doesn't matter how nice the gun is if you can't hit with it.

I have a friend who let me shoot his very nice trap gun. I would have been better off with a slingshot and ball bearings. He can shoot lows 90's with it. I'd be doing good to hit 9. I'd normally be in the mid to upper 70's with a Mossberg 500.

The Beretta has a shim kit available that allows a bit of custom fitting to be done at home. No idea about the others. It gets my vote based on that extra touch.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old July 13, 2009, 01:40 AM   #8
zippy13

Greetings and welcome aboard, BigGuns,

391, then the 1100 and CZ isn't on my radar, either.
Old July 13, 2009, 11:54 AM   #9
BigJimP

I agree with Zippy and OneOunce ....
Old July 13, 2009, 10:40 PM   #10
.351winchester

a little above your max price range, but the Benelli Supersport is AWESOME and worth every penny. I'm more into combat shotguns and don't shoot clays but I fell in love with that baby when I got to fire one (got 8/10 hand (the red plastic thrower) thrown, first time ever shot clays, which was very fun). Trust me, I don't know much about sport shotguns, but do know this has to be the pinnacle of them, do yourself a favor and check one out, I believe they are 1800. MSRP, friend got his for 16.

I don't know capacity rules for these sports but the 1100 Tac 4 is a 3-Gun shotgun that would make a good all around, one general purpose shotgun, it's a 9 shot with 22" Vent rib bbl. nice to not have to reload as much. That Supersport is incredible though, and IMO beautiful, feels magical to shoot.
Old July 14, 2009, 05:16 PM   #11
BigGunsMoreFun

Thanks Everybody

I appreciate all the feedback from you folks. I was leaning toward the Remington 1100 but now I'm not so sure. The Beretta might be the way to go.

I've used all 3 and generally average around 85 with the semi-autos. The SxS gets rough after 50-60 rounds. I usually average around 70-75 with the SxS.

I might have to break down and buy two guns. When I shoot skeet, I average a lot better with the SxS. Generally I can hit 23 every round of skeet with the occassional 25.

For some reason (It might be all in my head) I don't do as well with semi-autos shooting skeet. My average is around 18 and rarely do I break 20.

As for O/U shotguns, I'd do better throwing the gun at the clays than shooting it. I'm not sure why that is. I know a lot of folks use them and do real good with them.

Decisions, decisions.

Molon Labe,
Joe

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid."--Mark Twain
Old July 14, 2009, 05:33 PM   #12
perazzimx14

What O/U have you shot. I have shot Brownings, Beretta's, Perazzi's, Remington's and several others. They all react differently! Some of them felt dead in my hands, some were to lively, others felt like I was holding a fence post and some just fit naturally. Also withing each model O/U there can be had in several different configurations.

All I am saying is don't rule out O/U before you shoot several different guns.
Old July 16, 2009, 07:03 AM   #13
eastbank

i shoot a rem. 1100 and a browning o/u and a s-s browning bss and the find in singles the rem 1100 is ok, but in doubles the o/u,s and s-s,s with the two different chokes make it easier for me. eastbank.
Old July 16, 2009, 10:24 AM   #14
RoscoeC

I picked up a Beretta A390 for $450.00. My buddy has 2 391s. I wouldn't trade my 390 for both of them. Nothing wrong with the 391s, I just prefer the simpler 390, and it has been 100% reliable in every way. As far as fit is concerned, the 390 and the 391 can be adjusted for drop and cast enough to fit most average folks. I slightly changed the cast on mine, and it is a perfect fit.

I know there are a lot of folks that are totally dedicated to the 1100, but my shotgun quest is done with the 390. Well, except for when my ship comes in and I can afford a really nice O/U.
NRA Life Member
Old July 16, 2009, 11:07 AM   #15
publius

Beretta all the way. i've got several 1100's and only trust one of them and the CZ just kicks too hard for extended shooting.
Old July 16, 2009, 11:30 AM   #16
eastbank

yes i like the beretta too,the first time i shot my friends 686 o/u i shot a 22 at trap. it fit me pretty good. eastbank.