The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 10, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Desertfox

SPOT gps/emergency tool

Ok it looks like I should think about replacing my old(3 year) gps unit with this new SPOT Emergency tool.
It looks like you can find them for about $200-300. I think this is a "hunting device" so I hope this is the best place for feedback.
The question is; what is the deal with the service fee of "about 27 cents a day"
Can you just get the service activated for a couple of months a year when you use it, or do you have to have it year round?

This unit will send text messages to cell phones or e-mails. It gives your gps location and has a Help button that contacts the nearest authority with your location. It sounds like the everything emergency tool.
Feedback from actual experience preferred.
If you own one, can you tell me about activating and de-activating your account. I really only need it for 2 months a year.
Old June 10, 2008, 10:38 AM   #2
davlandrum

DesertFox - I hope you get some replies, as I am also very interested in this. I am afraid it is too new and there might not be a lot of feedback on it.

I wouldn't replace my GPS with one, though. What I have seen looks like you can't use it for much other than sending signals like you mention. I think it has 2 different "non-emergency" signals that you preset to email or cell phones - 1 just says "I'm OK and located at xxxxxxx" (suposedly the email will tie in to mapquest or something as well), the other says "Need help", but doesn't go to the authorities. So if you have a big bull down, you can get your buddy to come help you (best case), or if you run out of gas in the boonies, he can bring you some fuel (worst case).

Reason I was interested is my wife is a chronic worrier and most places we hunt there is no cell phone coverage, so every 2-3 days we go into town and make a phone call. Not that I mind grabbing a big-ole-burger for lunch or re-stocking ice, but with the price of gas now..... So it would help me if I could just push a button and shoot her an email that all is well.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 10, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Maybe for a severe injury it may be the cat's meow but I doubt I would ever have one Who makes this device?
I am a strict and LOYAL Garmin user. They are the ONE maker who has kept the controls and lingo fairly consistent model to model... Helps the simpler minded of us I do not need map features, but would need basic GPS features. With a GPS you can send location via text if your cell phone works... Or you could by a GPS/SAT phone for remote locales.
Brent
Old June 10, 2008, 03:11 PM   #4
davlandrum

Brent,

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...Spot&noImage=0

It does not replace a GPS. I thought about a Sat phone, but IIRC they were $2K...maybe way off as it has been a few years. Or I know you can rent them.

But this little unit at less than $150 plus $100 annual fee makes a lot of sense for where we hunt and how we hunt. Archery Elk season here is a month long and guys come and go throughout the season. This way, I could get some help getting one out (no cell phone coverage).

If I divide the annual fee by days I am hunting - it would be around $2 a day.

Definitely not a must have for everyone, including me, but I can see the benefits.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 11, 2008, 10:44 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Well I own one, although I have not set it up. I was planning to try the AT this Summer and some worriers in my family bought it for me(Life intervened and I am not on the AT. I have read a lot about it though, and held it in my hand for a good look. I believe it does display your coordinates, but it does not feature a map. Will not replace your GPS. It is guaranteed to send messages from continental US in 20 minutes most place, and under three hours from all. There is a coverage map on their site. Your phone can sometimes send text messages out when you do not appear to have any bars, but I this is still supposed to be more reliable. You can get SAR insurance for $6. I would definitely get this insurance if I were you. The las thing you want is to have it get bumped in your pocket and two hours later a helicopter comes rolling over the horizon and 2 dozen NPS rangers are trying to get to you by land. Easily a 100k bill. Even if you actually need the SAR, you wouldn't want to pay for it. Probably as useful as sending the message itself. It is light, 8-9 oz I think. You can have 5 phone numbers contacted for the non-emergency signals. Cost is $150 for the device off their site and then their are several service options. One can track your progress via google maps so people always know where you are.
The coverage is supposed to be much better than GPS, although it still has problems with canyon walls, dense tree coverage etc. I go on a yearly river trip on the Rio Grande on the US-Mexican border and I will feel much better having it next year.
Old June 13, 2008, 09:42 PM   #6
jrothWA

Spot allow you to enter two messages...

1) is general "I'm okay"
the,

2) is "HELP!"

Both deliver your GPS location nothing else.

I'm setting mine up this week-end.
google "findmespot" for additional info
Old June 14, 2008, 03:20 AM   #7
Hook686

While a cell phone (Nokia N75 smart phone $.01 with 2 year AT&T sign up) can show a position, lat. & lon., and a gps unit costing about $150 (Garmin nuvi 200 Portable GPS) can also do so without any service fees, it remains that communication requires being in range of a cell tower. There is an advantage to a monitored channel in an emergency situation, like 911 with the cell phone if you are in range of a tower.

The need for a monitored emergency number is certainly a personal choice and does cost .... $99 a year is the fee I seen.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:40 PM   #8
jrothWA

$99 per year..

is cheap insurance.
Old June 17, 2008, 07:51 AM   #9
PDXGS

I've got a SPOT and it's not bad.
You can send three types of messages -via satellite so cell covverage is not an issue. The mesagges types are:
1-I'm OK
2-I need non-emergency help
3-I need emergency AID/activate 911

All messages sent will include your position and whatever text message you pre-program it to send via their internet site like, " If you get this mesage I'm out hunting on such and such mountain and my car is parked here. I'm wearing a green shirt and have supplies for three days" Good stuff for the SAR team to know.

For an extra $50 you can add a tracking function to the package. This means that the unit will chirp your local to satellites every 20 minutes. If you give access to your wife or SO they can log into your SPOT website page and monitor your movements.

I use mine for Search and Rescue to track my searches and also for long distance motorcyle riding. It works in most places on the globe and is pretty cheap compared to an Emergency Position Indication Radio Beacon- EPIRB which can only be used in an emergency- they can basically only be used for 911.
The SPOT unit is relatively small, light and waterproof.
It will not replace a GPS.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jorge
Old June 17, 2008, 10:17 AM   #10
davlandrum

PDXGS,

Great info, thanks!