The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2008, 03:46 AM   #51
LanceOregon

Hey, you can buy some pretty powerful air powered rifles these days.

This hunter from New York City managed to take a large Bison with his air gun:

Old June 7, 2008, 04:50 AM   #52
milemission

Dang, what caliber is that thing? I want one!
Old June 7, 2008, 08:21 AM   #53
shortwave

Don`t know about air rifle but wife hunts with car. Car is very effective and they`re kinda like a 45 cal. Slow moving,big,heavy projectile. P.S. Her yearly bag limit usually surpasses mine as I hunt with bow.
Old June 8, 2008, 04:12 PM   #54
alfred

I do have A Daisy fully capable of killing a Deer.

I saw a while back where they had found the air rifle that Lewis & Clark took on their expedition.It went to the west coast and back.

I have a Daisy .22 rim fire made by Daisy that I bought at Wal-Mart years ago.While it would kill a Deer,1000 lb.Steer,Polar or Kodiak Bear with a very careful placed shot,It will be a very last resort on my part.I would rather hold the beer and watch "the stash" for those kind of hunters.And no,I am not loaning my Daisy to anyone for the attempt.I don't feel like searching Bear Scat for the remains of it.

I am experienced at killing Hogs and Steers with a .22 at Butchering time.I know it will do it.I just don't like the position you need to get in for a sure fire killing shot.

I also know of a man in his 80's once killing a bear with a axe.They were having a dispute over who owned a Hog.If you are going to steal a hog from a old man down around the Okefenokee Swamp,you best steal his axe first.I think folk down there are still leary about attempting to steal a Hog from one of those Barbers.They seem to be rather possessive when it comes to their hogs.alfred

Perhaps these Daisy hunters are on on a "caged" hunt.alfred
Old June 8, 2008, 05:05 PM   #55
MeekAndMild

Quote:
I saw a while back where they had found the air rifle that Lewis & Clark took on their expedition.It went to the west coast and back.
I'm amazed.

http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm
http://www.beemans.net/Austrian%20airguns.htm
http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

http://www.lewis-clark.org/content/c...?ChannelID=300
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old June 11, 2008, 05:32 PM   #56
T-Ray

Quote:
Uncle Ben, I agree... just pathetic. Now you know what little kids who stand over ant mounds with magnifying glass grow up to be.

If hillbillie and wpcexpert live in the same state, I suggest they go paintball each other.
1. Not magnifying glasses, black cats.
2. If they go painballing, i wanna go.

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old June 11, 2008, 06:44 PM   #57
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Longevity and Air Horn

Forget the Daisy. Just wait patiently outside for one to die of old age!!! (This works best if you are young, but still can work as you get older!)

If you are REALLY OLD, like you called Noah by his nickname, you might want to take an air horn out with you. Camo up, hide behind something next to the game trail, bedding area, feed, etc...(you get the point) and when the big one comes around, give him a heart attack!

This way you do not have to chance breaking your Daisy, or...
Putting your eye out!!!

Happy Trails
Old June 12, 2008, 01:19 AM   #58
alfred

Noah's nickname was Crazy.

We all just called him Noah until he started building that boat.Then most started calling him Crazy.alfred
Old June 12, 2008, 10:04 AM   #59
T-Ray

Quote:
Dang, what caliber is that thing? I want one!
Google large bore air rifles and there's a ton of different ones. A lot are .45 or .50 caliber. I found them when i was looking for a 1,000fps .177 pellet gun and was amazed. But then i thought about it and you probably have to "get through airport security" to be able to hunt big game with one. Looks like a lot of fun though.

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old June 19, 2008, 08:27 PM   #60
sureshots

Too much Recoil

I think the Red Rider BB Gun has too much recoil for the average Deer Hunter. I find the 30-06cal. can do the job with A much more pleasant recoil. Don't you?
Old June 20, 2008, 05:23 PM   #61
wpcexpert

T-Ray--the blackcats are great but sometimes you need a longer fuse. Found that out the hard way on a fire ant mound. Made the mistake of disturbing them before hand. Put it in hole, and KABLEWEE, 1000 pist-off fire ants all up my britches. Not a good day. Tons of laughs for my buddies though.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson