The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2005, 12:40 PM   #1
Dom

First Time Shooter - need advice on purchase

A friend took me Skeet shooting yesterday. This was my first experience with a shotgun - or any gun for that matter.
Anyhow, I am hooked!
He let me use his Beretta 686E - which I did quite well with..scoring between 13 & 18 out of 25 in the four rounds we played. I beat him twice!

I look at the prices for his gun and can't afford to spend $1500 for a gun.
I also dont think I should spend that much for my first gun.
That being said, what am I not getting in a gun that retails between $400- $600 new that I WOULD be getting with a gun like the Beretta 686e???

As a new shooter, what kinds of things should I consider for my first shotgun?

Any/all advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dom
Old November 28, 2005, 01:02 PM   #2
baf2003

first timer

dear dom, My first gun was a New England Firearms 20 ga. Pardner model. it's a decent hunting gun, especially for what i paid for it. 60$ used. You can pick one up at pretty much any wall-mart. But i have recently aquired my dad's Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga., and i'm thrilled with it. Kick is minimal, it has a full choke for tight grouping, it has a 30" barrel, and shoots very straight. I'm going to buy another myself when tax returns come. You can pick a decent one up at Wal-mart for just under 300$ new, or find a used one cheap.
Old November 28, 2005, 01:10 PM   #3
Dom

Baf,

Thanks for your quick reply. What though, does a $1500 Beretta offer that a $400 shotgun doesn't? Other than appearance, is there a difference in performance or comfort?
I know that no amount spent on a gun will correct a bad shot, but,
being new to this I want to understand the difference and what you are actually getting for the additional costs.
I am in no way going to spend $1500 for a gun - but am thinking maybe I could find one used in decent shape for around $600 - $800, maybe I would fork out the extra $$$ over a less expensive new gun if there are substantial benefits in peformance and comfort.

Dom
Old November 28, 2005, 01:50 PM   #4
baf2003

beretta vs remington

There is a slight quality difference between the two. Plus, you are paying more mostly for the Beretta name. Don't get me wrong. It'a an awsome shotgun. But it's the kind of shotgun you get gunshy of. You pay that much for a gun, and then you're afraid to use it for fear it will lose value or become damaged. Trust me. The Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga. with the full choke and longest barrel you can get will give you the most bang for your buck.
Old November 28, 2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Harley Quinn

Shoot others, buy later.

Don't be so quick to buy, are my thoughts.Talk to others at the range. Shoot other guns, ask questions. Find out why the gun shot better for you than your friend or as good?
Fit has a lot to do with skeet and trap, quick reflexes are helped with guns that fit. Next you will be reloading or you will be spending lot's of dough. Very expensive sport. The gun is a bargin.

Harley
Old November 28, 2005, 02:17 PM   #6
Dom

Baff & Harley,

Thanks for your replies.
I'm not looking to buy quickly - just get educated more quickly.
I do want to try others out. I only used two different shotguns yesterday - the beretta I preferred (alot).
For now, I just want to get an understanding of what my money will buy to narrow my options and then try a few from there. Then...hopefully buy one.

What about maintenance, availability of replacement parts, optional parts, ect... - is that a factor to also consider?

Dom
Old November 28, 2005, 02:31 PM   #7
baf2003

Dear Dom

I put about 75 rounds through my 870 between friday and saturday and it still doesn't have much build-up. Never the less, i suggest cleaning any shotgun inside and out after each day of shooting. It will save you heartache in the long run. There is a huge availability for parts on 870s. You can do pretty much anything you want to them. I use mine for skeet, hunting, and HD. But there are several other options. Winchester makes some decent 12 ga. pumps, doubles, and singles as well, and are reasonably priced. i just can't see spending 1500$ on a first shotgun, if you know what i mean. That's a lot of money to have wrapped up in something you might decide you don't like or lose interest in.
Old November 28, 2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Dom

Baf,

Trust me - I have no intention of spending $1500 for my first gun. But would consider $500 - $700.

Thats my point....
I could spend $700 on a used Beretta or similar, or spend $400 on a new Remington/Spartan.

I wouldn't mind spending the extra couple hundred or so on a good used gun if there is reason enough (more than just looks/apprearance) to justify it.

Thats what I am looking for...those reasons to justify it (or not).....

Dom
Old November 28, 2005, 02:52 PM   #9
Harley Quinn

Go to a good BIG gunstore.

Try putting the shotguns up to your shoulder and point aim at something. Go with the one that fits you best, as in fits your build... Right now Big Five is
having a real sale and it's less than 3 hundred on Mossy's. Great first gun...IMHO

Harley
Old November 28, 2005, 02:58 PM   #10
baf2003

what part of the country do you live in, dom? what state?
Old November 28, 2005, 03:00 PM   #11
bclark1

are you looking for a particular kind of shotgun? the 686's an over/under (right? i've never handled one...), those can be pricey. side-by-sides, same deal.

pumps are the workhorses, and what most people start with. you can get a good, new pump, remington or mossberg or another well-established brand, for $300-400 if you want options like a magnum chamber or camo pattern. cheaper if you just want a shooter.

i've moved onto semi now, i like it a lot more, although maintenance takes a bit longer and becomes more critical since you can't just rack it harder if you start to get the fouling built up. for the sub-$1000 range, i really like winchester semi-autos, i think the $100 manufacturer rebate goes another couple days until the end of the month too if you rush it.

parts and accessories, as mentioned, need t ocome into play too. even choke tubes add up. if you opt for a higher-end gun, you'll probably get a few with it, but the entry-level ones typically come with one tube. you'll want your modified, your improved, your full, your extra full for turkey, your rifled one for slugs, so on and so forth. tubes and everything else comes cheaper for the domestic shotguns, and so on.

any old way... i'm rambling and need to jet since i'm at work... but good luck on your purchase and enjoy shooting!
Old November 28, 2005, 03:13 PM   #12
Dom

I am in NJ.

Yes, the 686 is an OU shotgun. I liked it, and would prefer to stick with something of that style. I would prefer not having to pump it as well (like the 686 I was using).
The other gun I tried was a Remington (but dont know model #) and was a single barrel that would load 2 at a time from underneath.

Dom
Old November 28, 2005, 04:25 PM   #13
baf2003

i do believe winchester and remington also make nice ou shotguns. Check those out, too. go to thier web sites and see what they have to offer you.
Old November 28, 2005, 05:17 PM   #14
Dom

Opinions please...

I dropped by a local dealer, and the salesman told me that a $500 gun would not last very long if I used it even a couple times a month to shoot 100 rounds. He said it wouldnt be before long that I would start having issues with it that would require it being sent in for service.
However, he highly recommended the $1500 Beretta gun for opposing reasons.

I dont know...was I being fed a line of B.S. because he wants to sell an expensive gun, or, is there ANY truth to what he is saying?

Advise please...

Dom
Old November 28, 2005, 05:30 PM   #15
baf2003

b.s. my 870 has been around for 30+, and it's seen a few rounds. the origional barrel is pretty much still new. it really takes a lot to wear out a shotgun barrel if it is even halfway decent. he's prolly making commision on sales and wants a nice christmas bonus. don't give in to that guy.
Old November 28, 2005, 05:48 PM   #16
Death from Afar

Dom, just hang out at the range and try as many guns as you possibly can. I scoffed a bit at what the sales dude was saying, very few guns need anything approaching routine replacement of parts. A good well made gun will last a very long time providing it is kept clean and out of the mud. If you really want an O/U just get a cheapo modle to shoot, and then see what the pros use. Dont forget, as well as the gun you need a cartying case. some ammo, some cleaning gear, ear protection etc. With all that latter gear, buy the best you can afford, and when you work out what gun you want, trade your first one up.
Old November 28, 2005, 06:00 PM   #17
rapier144

Find a nice used shotgun that fits you well you'll know it when you throw it up and it naturally points meaning that when it comes up it aligns with your eyes without having to move your head much. I got lucky and bought a ithica model 600 that fit me perfectly. Spent $395 dollars for it and i would out shoot guys that spent $3000 for their guns. Don't worry about if the gun is durable enough. I shot thousands of shells with mine and it never gave me a problem. No telling how many were shot out of it before i got.
Old November 28, 2005, 06:29 PM   #18
shureshot0471

Rem 1100 If you are goin to just keep skeet shooting this is also a good gun for Upland game birds also good luck
Old November 28, 2005, 06:29 PM   #19
Dom

You guys are offering some good advise and tips.
I appreciate it. If there is anything else that anyone can think of...chime in.

Thanks!
Dom
Old November 28, 2005, 06:41 PM   #20
95gtman

I shoot skeet with a winchester 1400 Mk2 that my dad gave me. Not a real exspensive gun, but I can shoot the hell outta skeet with it. So I will just echo what has been said and buy what works for you.
Old November 28, 2005, 06:49 PM   #21
baf2003

if you really want an ou shotgun in any gauge, bottom line is it's gonna be pricey. even for a remington 332 ou 12 ga, they want 1500$. that's why i will prolly never own an ou shotgun. to expensive. i can go to wal-mart and buy a rem 870 for 300$ new, or pick one up for under 100$ used but still nice. i'm even concidering a used win model 12. but it's whatever you want, i guess.
Old November 28, 2005, 07:28 PM   #22
Dom

Baf,

Remington has the spartan spr320 model for around $500 range. From what I have read so far - good gun for great price.

Dom
Old November 28, 2005, 07:33 PM   #23
baf2003

good to see you are doing your homework. i didn't know about that. i just went to the remington web site and found the 332. really great looking gun. i'll have to look into that. i just might buy one with my tax refund
Old November 28, 2005, 07:46 PM   #24
95gtman

At the store we sale the Spartan's for about 368 before tax. Good guns for the money. Russian made imported by Remington. They are heavy O/U's, and a little stiff brand new, but I think they would get the job done.
Old November 28, 2005, 08:02 PM   #25
baf2003

well, that put's any spartan product out of my mind. i'm all about the usa and i won't buy a new gun that's made anywhere else. but it does sound like a steal.