The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2002, 06:29 AM   #1
Chief Jones

Hornady SST Bullets

Anybody out there have any experience/opinions regarding Hornady SST's? I've just started using Nosler BT's and was wondering how they compare.

Thanks,

Woody
Old May 17, 2002, 07:46 PM   #2
Dan Morris

Chief, we use the 180's in all our 06's.Accuracy is good......will know a little more on game performance this fall (hopefully). So far, haven't punched anything but paper.
Dan
Old May 18, 2002, 05:29 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Aren't the Horn's SST line that super-expansive bullet? I'd have to take a look at some leftover bullets/loading data, but did use some .223 Rem Blitz & (I thought) the SST & had the bullets coming apart at about 30 yards out. & this with a 1:9 twist HBAR barrel - rating supposedly good to go.

If I'm off the mark re SSTs - never mind.

Ballistic Tips have given me some of the best accuracy of any bullet - depending on caliber. I think for punching paper only though, one would be hard-pressed not to use Sierra's Match King line. Quite a bit less expensive than the Ballistic Tip & a real record-breaker. & you may want to play with the boattail versus flatbase styles .... my .22-250 shoots the 52 gr boattail like a dream & will not! with the 53 flatbase - & this a "just" 100 yards.

I've had varying results with the Ballistic Tip on game, depending on caliber - A Sad Day(tm) with a .308 165 gr on a doe whitetail .... , but a bud uses the 180 in his .30-378 on elk with 1-shot for 1-kill every time - close up & at very extended ranges.

May be a good idea to post what you're using the bullets for - caliber & game ... or "just" targets.