The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 28, 2015, 05:28 PM   #1
cshore93

Optic Recommendations

I just bought a Rem 700 in .308 and put an archangel stock on it. I am now moving to the optics. What is the best quality scope I can get for plunking steel from 500 to 1000 yards? With a price range of around $750. Thanks!
Old February 28, 2015, 05:53 PM   #2
gbc123

Swarovski. They are the clearest... Also the least tunnel vision prone, I think. The fact that they use quartz lenses is what makes them so clear, also durable... It might go out when knocked, but after 10 + years of field use it will still be clear.
Old March 2, 2015, 10:33 AM   #3
AllenJ

With that stock I'm assuming this is a tactical setup? If so I'd look at the Vortex Viper PST line or a used Leupold Mk 4. SWFA also has fixed power tactical scopes for much less than your stated budget, you could use the savings for good rings/mount. The SWFA gets very good reviews.
Old March 3, 2015, 12:54 AM   #4
cshore93

AllenJ: Yes it is going to be a tactical set up. I was actually looking at the vortex Viper pst line before your comment. I have one question about them. Should I go with first focal plane or second focal plane? What are the differences? Is one of them simpler to use than the other? I'm a litle confused about subtensions.
Old March 3, 2015, 02:51 AM   #5
weedsnager

Look at vortex...best bang for your buck
Old March 3, 2015, 06:39 AM   #6
DPI7800

Quote:
I have one question about them. Should I go with first focal plane or second focal plane?
I am a fan of FFP scopes however not all are created equal. Having a Vortex PST 4X16 FFP and a Leupold Mark 6 FFP there is a massive difference. The Vortex has a very large reticle which is great for low power viewing. However being a FFP as you turn up the magnification it becomes annoyingly large. While the Mark 6 is a much finer (thinner) reticle, it is harder to see all the stadia lines at lower magnification but you probably are not using holdover at 3 power.

Being what you budget is and what you are going to be shooting and the distances you may want to go with a SFP unless you plan on competing in tactical matches.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:00 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

I can't say whether it is the best or not through a lack of experience, but I can tell you what I have and what my experience has been.

I have a .308 and on it I have fixed a Burris XTR312. That is a 3-12x50, 30mm tube.

I have not shot it out to 1000 or even 500, but I have observed objects at that distance.

I'd say it is doable, but perhaps not the best magnification. I think it I had an 18 or 24x scope I'd feel better equipped for LR stuff. SOme say 8x fixed power is enough for 1000. For them perhaps, but I would struggle.

However, I will say that when I have looked at those distant objects, I have been able to see them and the image was clear. My scope also has nice big turrets and parallax adjustment.

It ma not be the bet model for you, but Burris may have other models that suit better. As a brand I am happy with the product.

Hope this helps narrow choices.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:07 AM   #8
MarkCO

The best optic for the money in the range you are looking at are the Burris XTRIIs. Excellent glass, excellent warranty (that you won't need) and all the features LR shooters desire.
Old March 3, 2015, 10:16 AM   #9
AllenJ

The knock on second focal plane (sub tensions change as you change the magnification power) is you have to be at full power to use it to range with and you have to know different values for each power if you are going to use the reticle sub tensions to shoot with. This is something I like with my hunting scope, it allows me have multiple distances for for each mark (the reticle is Swarovski's BRH) depending on what power the scope is on. For my tactical rifle though I prefer the FFP (sub tensions remain the same no matter what power the scope is on) as I'm usually dialing most of the correction in and I like it's simplicity under timed situations. What you should go with is really a matter of opinion. Most people are going with FFP but some really good shooters like SFP.

Lots of information to help clear your confusion with sub tensions on the web, youtube has some good videos too.

Have you decided if you want MOA or MRAD?
Old March 3, 2015, 01:06 PM   #10
603Country

I have SFP and FFP scopes. If a fellow is a deer hunter at ranges below 400 yards, and has something with 270 type ballistics, then any SFP scope with or without BDC lines and with adequate magnification should be fine. If shooting beyond 400 yards is planned, and if targets are small (prairie dogs or small target dots), then more precision is going to be needed. That would suggest FFP scopes would be best.

I'm a hunter (deer, coyotes, pigs) and a non-competitive target shooter, and still have not decided whether or not I prefer FFP for general hunting. The nice big buck I killed this year was about 250 yards away, and I had only seconds to get the rifle up, get on target, and shoot. Turrets are not much use in situations like that, so FFP did me no good.

If, however, I saw a coyote at the far edge of my hay field (506 yards) and had time to set up, twirl a turret and shoot, I'd rather have my Viper PST FFP scope than anything else I have.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:46 PM   #11
JungleBoogey

I'm a Zeiss kinda guy although I do have a few other good quality scopes on my rifles. I have 2 Conquest DLs (3-12x50), one on a Tika .308, the other on a Mossberg 30.06 (though the cost is a little over the $750 mentioned). I'm now looking to mount on my R93 (.308) a Zeiss 4-12x42 Terra with the RZ8 reticle (I like the distance markings). The price is about $500. I'm hunting large deer and wild boar up to about 300 mtrs and in most cases I have the time to set up so SFP isn't/hasn't been an issue for me.
Old March 3, 2015, 03:52 PM   #12
cshore93

Thanks guys, this helps a lot. And I am most familiar with MOA. Therefore I feel like it would be easier to stick with it.

Tags
1000 yards , optics , rem 700