The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 22, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
FYN409

S&W BG380 Safety

I just picked up a BG380 yesterday from the LGS. Got it home and all cleaned up, but have not fired it yet. Any of you notice the safety being VERY still? I mean it is very difficult to engage or disengage. Almost takes 2 thumbs to engage. Should I expect it to get better once I get some rounds down range with it?
Old October 22, 2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Nakanokalronin

It's stiff, but it's more easily pushed off than on. IMO it's totally unnecessary since it's a complete DAO trigger pull and all it does is block the trigger. There's also a firing pin safety that won't move until you complete that DAO pull.

I just leave mine off because I know it's not going on by itself.
Old October 23, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
IMO it's totally unnecessary since it's a complete DAO trigger pull and all it does is block the trigger. There's also a firing pin safety that won't move until you complete that DAO pull... I just leave mine off because I know it's not going on by itself.
+1, although I don't have a BG380.

IMHO there's no particular tactical or functional reason to ever even touch the thumb safety on a BG380. It's most likely incorporated into the design so S&W only has to offer one version of the gun.

Tags
bg380 , safety