The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 15, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
SPEMack618

What am I doing wrong?

I've got quite the assortment of various guns. And I generally pride myself on taking care of them, however, recently, I've been having a problem with surface rust. It seems that no matter how well I wipe the gun down before it goes back in the safe or back into its back, it will have little brown spots on it the next time I pull it out.

I've been wiping them down with a lightly oiled (RemOil) ragged before putting them up, and keep a couple of packs of the moisture absorber things in the safe/gun bags.

What else am I missing?

The guns most effected seeme to be an earlier rollmark Colt M-1991A1, an old Winchester 94, and a H&R .410 Pardner.
Old October 15, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Hal

Try something a little heavier than Rem Oil.

I like Ballistol. It sort of stinks, but, I'm happy with how it works so I don't care.

Breakfree CLP is also heavier & doesn't stink. You might try that.
Old October 15, 2013, 04:09 PM   #3
sigcurious

You might want to put a hygrometer in your safe, it will help you keep track of when its time to bake your silica packs(assuming that's what you're using) and refresh them.
Old October 15, 2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Erno86

I've heard the Rem-Oil gums up like WD-40. I like semi-synthetic motor oil.
I use an electric dehumidifier rod in my gun safe...which seems to help.

--- George Orwell
Old October 15, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Ballistol, CLPs, gun care....

I agree that you might want to try a new CLP(clean lube protect) or gun care product.
There have been several new CLPs & cleaning agents on the scene in the last 5/10 years.
I like Ballistol too.
I think it has a light pine or cedar scent. It's CFC free, non toxic & safe for your bare hands.
Other brands to try/purchase include; LPX, Weaponshield, Slip2000, Gunzilla.
You may want to recheck the area too & make sure it's not damp or moldy. If moisture/water is seeping in that might be why they keep rusting.
Do not use excessive amounts of gun care products or oils either. A small amount should do it.
See; www.Brownells.com www.mpro7.com www.gunzilla.us www.weaponshield.com .
Old October 15, 2013, 07:10 PM   #6
cjwils

You can get cheap humidity gauges by searching the internet. My gauge shows that the humidity in my safe ranges from about 40 to the high 60s throughout the year, depending on the weather outdoors, and whether or not the furnace has been running. Within that humidity range, I have not had any rust problems.
Old October 15, 2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I've heard the Rem-Oil gums up like WD-40.
Wd40 doesn't gum up, but you don't want to get it on your primers.

Also I use Remoil, have for years and it is a very light oil. I have never had it gum up. Being a reloader I have shot some dirty and sooty powders too.

I have never seen a gun rust after being cared for the way you described but your problem goes beyond your guns if you have that much moisture in your safe room.

Rice will absorb the moisture well. Think volume and surface area until you find a way to dehumidify that room or move it somewhere more dry. A nice large baking pan with a inch of rice should do the trick.
Old October 16, 2013, 04:53 AM   #8
rickyrick

Rem oil is kinda light... Similar to WD40
WD40 does exactly opposite of gumming up... It evaporates. My job uses WD40 as a cleaner due to that property.

I'd go with something heavier
Old October 16, 2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Skans

Are you shooting any corrosive ammo? Are you shooting your guns around anyone who is shooting corrosive ammo? If so, you will need to scrub down your guns better.

If you are storing your guns in a cabinet or safe, buy a goldenrod and keep it where you store your guns. I've been using one for years, and they really do work.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:02 AM   #10
noelf2

Keep an eye on any chemicals you may be storing near your safe. Is it in the same room as a washer/dryer? Don't keep chlorine bleach anywhere near your guns or they can do what you describe. Get a heater rod for the safe so temps don't change enough to cause any condensation.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:29 AM   #11
kraigwy

I use to hunt Afognak Island in nothing but rain and salt spray from the ocean.

Before I went, I coated my gun (I don't use stainless, I use blued guns) with RIG, never had a problem.

I do that now, prior to putting a gun in the safe, its gets a coat of RIG, every now and then I get them out and coat them with RIG.

RIG stands for Rust Inhibitive Grease

It works.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 16, 2013, 08:53 AM   #12
shortwave

Quote:
And I generally pride myself on taking care of them, however, recently, I've been having a problem with surface rust.
What has changed?

If you have never had any prior issue before with your storage practices on these guns , have had these same guns for a long time , would seem that there has been a change in the humidity level in the area your safe is in for some reason or as has been mentioned, a new chemical being stored close to safe.

Not only would I coat my guns with something better than RemOil for now but would try to find out the reason for the sudden change.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:34 AM   #13
g.willikers

In addition to the protective oils, try wrapping them in a silicone cloth or case, too.
Or just make your own using silicone spray.
This seems to protect for a year or more, even with high humidity.
Old October 16, 2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Grizz12

I cleaned and wiped down all of mine with frog lube and the problem went away
Old October 16, 2013, 07:14 PM   #15
cjwils

I just thought of something that I encountered several years ago, that might be happening to you. Does your safe have an electronic lock or any other electronic device, which has a battery backup located inside the safe? If the battery backup was loaded with some types of cheap imported batteries, they may release corrosive gas. That can cause rust. That happened to me, and changing the batteries to a major brand solved the problem.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Sevens

Quote:
It seems that no matter how well I wipe the gun down before it goes back in the safe or back into its back
I'll ask this -- while I'm guessing you meant to say "back in to it's BAG", it brings up the question of where these guns are spending the bulk of their time.

If they sit in any manner of foam or enclosed case, that could be the problem. Inside the open air of a gun safe with nothing touching or surrounding them is what you want. Sitting inside any kind of foam or a zippered or otherwise enclosed case is not a good idea because these cases can draw and hold moisture.

These cases are absolutely fine for transport. What you don't want is to sit a gun in them for days, weeks or months.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:08 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Something to keep in mind...

The damage caused by this rust is cumulative. Each time you pull the firearm out of [whatever you're using for storage], and see those spots, it means the little pits are getting bigger and bigger. If you can't find a way to put a stop to the rust, you'll just keep developing bigger and bigger pits on the firearm. Eventually, it will look like it has a really nasty case of herpes.
Old October 17, 2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Hal

Quote:
And I generally pride myself on taking care of them, however, recently, I've been having a problem with surface rust.

What has changed?
Good catch...
(I missed that 100%. I guess I've been retired for too long and lost that "troubleshooting mindset".)

Basic troubleshooting is work back from the last change when something stops working.
Old October 17, 2013, 04:18 PM   #19
SPEMack618

Thanks for the depth of options, guys. I certainly intend to do some various trouble shooting.

Only the Colt goes back into a bag, and then into the safe. I've found that none of my handguns that came in the clunky plastic cases fit in the safe while in said boxes, so every handgun gets an Allen pistol rug bag. However, only the Colt seems to show rust. Neither my Glock, Rugers, nor S&W M&P show any signs of rust.

I will certainly look at both a humidity guage and a goldenrod.

Also, new silica packs all around.

And perhaps a dedicated handgun safe.

I personally don't shoot corrosive ammo out of those guns, but the AK gets a steady diet of Wolf 7.62x39mm stuff, but it hasn't show any abnormal wear or anything, nor have any of my other long guns.

The washer and dryer are on the main floor, the gun safe is in on what is technically the first floor, but isn't where the front door is.
Old October 17, 2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Skans

Wolf ammo isn't corrosive. However, the old Chinese ammo that came in a big tin and was widely used in the '80's and into the '90's is corrosive.
Old October 22, 2013, 07:49 PM   #21
scottbird

all that being said, remoil has teflon in it, which helps keep things slideing nice, and wd-40 has alchohol in it, both dry quickley and offer no rust resistent, or verry little. threr are a number of good gun oils out there, I prefer hoppies #9, cheap and does well. just make sure it has no alchohol in it as it can damage your blueing, I learned the hard way.
Old October 23, 2013, 11:43 AM   #22
Double J

I've had problems in the past with the silica sprays damaging the finish on wood and some plastic parts. We have high humidity most of the time and I sometimes spend weeks to clean and oil all the guns. After normal cleaning, I coat the metal parts with regular motor oil, being carefull not to touch any metal parts with my bare hand before putting the guns away. I find it easier to wipe oil off before use than rust afterwards.
Old October 23, 2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

I have about 30 packets of silica gel in my safe. Most guns I put back in there I wipe down with a silicone rag. Never had rust appear on any of my guns.