The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Use the same brass as primer?

Im readint lyman 48th before reloaing, ive read abcs and 5th edition and other books. But this is the first to mention something about the type of brass being used. I was always under the impression that all brass was brass, the same rules applied for it...some is better quality but they are all put thru the same die and have the same specs. This is saying quote, "SELECTING PRIMERS-For your first loads, we suggest you use the exact primer we used to develope out data. *In this case im using win brass and win wlr pruimers*(This confuses me allot...I know different primers cause different pressures..not types of primers, but brands IE CCI is greater than Win WLR etc.. So why would they suggest we roam on our own and use different primers for the load? What do they mean to say or what am I misenterpreting?) I know different types of primers IE magnum, large rifle, small rifle etc... cause MAJOR changes in pressure...but am I mistaken to say brands to too? ABCs and lymans 5th for shotshell said that.

ALSO! It says match primer brand and correct brand of case...aernt all .308 win primer pockets the same? OR does it mean same type like small rifle, large rifle, magnum?
Thanks!
Dave
Old May 12, 2008, 07:47 PM   #2
flycaster

I wouldn't get all worked up about that. If I'm going to load, say, some .45acp pistol rounds, I don't worry about my Winchester large pistol primers not being compatible with Federal or Remington brass. Perhaps long range target rifle shooters could get that finicky, but mixing brass and primer brands is not a big deal.

Chuck
Old May 12, 2008, 08:52 PM   #3
mactex

Unless you are really interested in getting almost perfect consistency between rounds and are loading at maximum pressure, I would not worry about it. The differences are not quite as dramatic as some books would lead you to beleive.

Also, there are differences between different case manufacturers, and many times even between batches from the same manufacturer. But, if you simply want good accuracy, instead of scalpel like precision, then go with what you have or can get reasonably priced.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Alleykat

Unless you're referring to verbiage that you've not posted, then nothing was said that would indicate that you should match primer and brass brands.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

What the manuals say is to use the same brand of primer they used and the same brand of brass they used; not that these two are necessarily the same. Many brass brands have no commercially available associated primer brand (Hornady Frontier, Starline, Top Brass, for examples). They can still be used, or they wouldn't be made. The load manuals just don't want you to change brands of any component in their listed loads without working the loads up again.

The reason case brand matters is that SAAMI only specifies exterior case dimensions and neck thickness, but allows manufacturers to do whatever else they please on the inside of a case. That results in differing internal case capacities between brands, and that difference will affect peak pressure. How much different depends on the change? It is typically more critical in rifle loads than in handgun loads. I mix .45 ACP case brands all the time and see no substantial difference. I don't mix brands for match loads, but I am not shooting maxed-out loads, so I don't really see a difference for general practice. Switching between Lake City and Winchester .308 cases is another matter, and my loads for the two are not the same, reflecting the three grains difference in internal capacity.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 13, 2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Lavid2002

Quote:
Unless you're referring to verbiage that you've not posted, then nothing was said that would indicate that you should match primer and brass brands.
Basically wondering if it was a coincidence that all the example loads had the same brand primer and casing. The wording confused me too.
Old May 13, 2008, 04:04 PM   #7
DWARREN123

I reload 40 S&W and use different brass and the less expensive primers. Starting load first and work up from there. I would suggest never going to max loads without using the best components and firearm.
Old May 13, 2008, 07:05 PM   #8
swmike

It is only necessary to use the same components as listed in a published load if you want to closely duplicate the performance.

If you are working up your own loads it is of no consequence. Just remember to continue using the same brass/primer/bullet/finished dimensions if you want your results to repeat session after session.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old May 13, 2008, 08:57 PM   #9
GP100man

components

swmike
as long as you work up the load its ok to reuse those specific components.
when you change one component wether primer, brass , powder , bullet & lets not leave out the firearm it`s time to start over at the beginning !!!

GP100man##