The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2005, 03:12 AM   #1
beardking

Lee Auto disk and multiple calibers

I have a Lee turret press with the Auto Disk powder measure and I have been only loading for .40 S&W. Well, as of about 2 days ago, I'm going to be reloading for .38 Spcl. I plan on buying a extra turret plate (or whatever the heck the die holder is called ) to set up for the .38, but wondered if the people out there that have this press have a seperate powder measure for each caliber they use. This seems like the easiest way to switch back and forth, but wanted to get other peoples input before laying out the funds.

Thanks in advance
Beardking
Old January 1, 2006, 02:35 PM   #2
JDG

I have the Lee Pro Auto-Disk, on my turret press, and it has a swivel adapter already on it. Changing it over is a snap. If you have the other measure, you can get the update kit.I would get another turret for each caliber you reload for. JDG www.leeprecision.com
Old January 1, 2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

Yeah, going to the Pro or putting update kits on the AutoDisk is a vast improvement. The variable charge bar that comes in the kits helps too.

Multiple measures are a good idea IF you have standardized loads. You can just leave a turret permanently set up for a standard load. I tinker and have to reset every time, anyway.
Old January 2, 2006, 02:00 PM   #4
DeltaWhiskey

I got a Pro Auto Disk for Christmas and have been swapping back and forth in 5 different calibers since I've had it. It might not be worth the expense of buying another just for one more caliber since it is so easy to change for each one. When i was using the Lee Perfect Powder Measure I got an extra one with an eye to set one for any caliber I might use, but that idea just went by the wayside and I just had extra parts laying around.

Definitely purchase the extra turret plate for each caliber die set you have, it'll really make your life easier come caliber change time.
Old January 3, 2006, 12:17 AM   #5
rwilson452

auto disk

In pistol I load both .45ACP and .38SPL. I have two complete turrets with their own autodisk powder measures. Both have the adjustable charge bar. One is the older low end that has been upgraded the other is the newer premium model. the original has the swivel base as I didn't start out with two powder measures. At the price it just seemed the way to go.
Old January 3, 2006, 11:44 PM   #6
rwilson452

auto disk alturnative

Getting a seperate adjustable charge bar for each chambering will save you a few bucks but I stick with getting a seperate powder measure for each. if you do it over time you will not notice the pain to your wallet as much.