The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 17, 2000, 11:50 AM   #1
jeepCJ

Want to stay aroung $100-125, I am sure you have all wished you "hadn't bought that bag"? I will be carrying 2 1911 styles, 8 mags average and the usual amount of gear for an average IDPA shoot. I have picked up a few of the no-name $60 bags at gunshows that looked OK at the time only to be disapointed later when I packed um up full and they were very flimsy. Does anyone use the Dillon bags? Do they have mag holders in them? They really don't say?
-Dave
Old September 17, 2000, 01:38 PM   #2
VaughnT

I just purchased a Small Pro Deluxe from Bagmaster and would encourage you to not.

It isn't that these aren't well made bags, or that the company isn't great (they were extremely helpful in selecting the right bag for me needs), it's just that the bag isn't well designed, IMNSHO.

There are no mag loops. The interior is one large space broken up two panels that velcro to the sides for adjustment. And the gun pockets are on the long sides. This makes them unnaturally long for the 1911, with lots of wasted room, and not too tall.

Overall, I think this might become a camera bag.

Now I'm looking at spending $165 for a Waller rangebag. The pic in the magazine shows a model that has mag loops, great departmentalization, and some more. Very interesting.

Of course, another option is the cheap plastic toolbox from Lowe's. With your guns and optics in protective cases, you can carry all of you stuff with you and have a handy place to sit when you get there.

------------------
When Reason Fails.....
Old September 17, 2000, 03:45 PM   #3
jeepCJ

Thanks Vaughn,
Bagmaster was one of the ones I had gone to online and they look good from the pix, I have been told to stay away from Uncle Mikes as well. It is incredable how many "Pro-bags" don't even have mag pouches or some small pockets to organize little stuff, just a few big spaces that everything gets jammed into.
-Dave
Old September 17, 2000, 04:48 PM   #4
Geldor1

I have a Dillon range bag. I don't shoot IDPA, only at the local indoor range. When I go to the range, I usually take 3 - 4 pistols and about 200-300 rounds for each one. Holds everything I need. There are 2 full size zippered pouches , 1 on each side of the main compartment. In 1 of the pouches, there are 2 pockets that I can hold 8 - 10 G17 mags. In the main compartment, there are 3 pouches with a velcro flap. I used to carry all my range 'stuff' in a gym bag. Man, don't know why I didn't buy a Dillon bag years ago. Hope this helps.

------------------
Gun control means hitting your target!!!
Old September 18, 2000, 03:28 PM   #5
Imbroglio

I have a large Assault Systems range bag and it is really well made. I have loaded the thing up to the point where I could barely even carry it and it held up just fine. The features are:

Large zippered outer compartment.
Removable inner compartment that has:
2 inner zippered handgun compartments with removable dividers.
2 removable 4 slot mag holders.
2 removable center compartment dividers.
Heavy duty webbing and stitching all around.

I think I paid around $120 from Entreprise.
Old September 18, 2000, 04:06 PM   #6
JoeHatley

Best: MPI range bag from Midway

Worst: Paper sack from grocery store

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old September 18, 2000, 06:34 PM   #7
jeepCJ

Thanks for all the input, going shopping now!!!
-Dave
Old September 20, 2000, 01:04 AM   #8
bk40

Best? Green Mountain Sport Specialties "big bag". Pricey, but well worth it for all the features it has.

Bagmaster's are good also.
Old September 20, 2000, 01:11 AM   #9
mib2000

Good idea for a thread.

Second the motion for Green Mountain Sport Specialties. Have owned their "Todd Jarrett Model." Super well-designed, bombproof construction.

Because I have to lug a lot of gear around at three-gun tactical matches, I now have gone to the Dillon "Range Pack." Again, cool design (it's a backpack) and well-made, heavy duty nylon with solid stitching.

------------------
Check chamber,
mib2000
Old September 20, 2000, 02:46 PM   #10
Joe 543

Get the Shooting Systems range bag! Best there is. Formerly Assault Systems.

Joe

It's been a while
Old September 21, 2000, 12:41 PM   #11
Ledbetter

On a budget? Try a milsurp ballistic nylon tool pouch. Mine holds stapler, ammo, mags for four guns, can of remoil, pair of spotting binocs, rags, small tools and spare parts. Has six exterior pouches (each big enough for three BHP-sized mags), two large side compartments, one large interior compartment.

Something like $40. Check cheaperthandirt.com.

Worst range bag? Does S&W make one?

Regards,

Ledbetter