The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 22, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
bswiv

Some days I truly dislike my friends.......

When Mike called early on Wednesday morning to say that we needed to run down the lake about 5 miles and help him get a "big" gator in his boat he let slip that while he had two harpoons in it he had not gotten it banged and taped yet.

Hearing this we decided that as we had nearly 1 1/2 hours of legal hunting time left......and no gator of our own!......we'd hunt a while and then go help him. Besides that he's old like we are and was hunting with a girl so what he was calling "big" most likely was just one that his old wore out butt could not haul into the boat.....not something that was truly "big".

About as soon as the decision had been made that we would hunt a while longer Yul spied the one you see in the first picture ( 10' 8" ). Took us about 45 minutes to get it banged, taped and into the boat.

Then it was time to go help Mike........ And truth be we figured that when we got to him we'd find that ours was bigger than his, giving us a good excuse to make fun of him.

When we finally got where we could see him he was just sitting in the boat with two harpoon lines trailing over the side. He said he'd banged it but had not taped it because he could not get its head far enough out of the water to do so.

That's when we knew he had us............

Took 3 of us to haul it up into the boat........12' 7"........BIG......Mike stands vindicated.......

Old September 23, 2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Wow! What a beast!

They should make a tv show about gator hunting...
Old September 24, 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
BIGR

Quote:
Wow! What a beast!

They should make a tv show about gator hunting...
They do, it is about some guys in the swamp, down south. Heck I can't think of the name of it, but I have watched it before. Swampmen maybe?
Old September 24, 2011, 08:39 AM   #4
ice9_us

great story.. :?)

that is funny.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:40 AM   #5
dahermit

Being a Michigander, we have few and only very small 'gators. Please explain just how 'gators are hunted. Are they shot at distance? Are they just harpooned? If shot, do they always float? Please explain the process.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGR View Post
They do, it is about some guys in the swamp, down south. Heck I can't think of the name of it, but I have watched it before. Swampmen maybe?
I should have put a in there or something.

You should be on SwampMen.... I wonder how you apply?
Old September 24, 2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Dave P

Nice catch! Where?
Old September 24, 2011, 11:44 AM   #8
hooligan1

You fellas be sure to keep those suckers out of Missouri please!!!
Old September 24, 2011, 01:37 PM   #9
bswiv

It's called "Swamp People".......and they should not be confused with.......well.......mom used to say "if you don't have anything nice to say......"

Let's just say that not much of what you see them doing is legal in Florida and that many of the behaviors they exibit are foreign to me, Louann and our friends.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:23 AM   #10
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiv
Let's just say that not much of what you see them doing is legal in Florida...
Good thing they're in Louisiana then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiv
and that many of the behaviors they exibit are foreign to me, Louann and our friends.
They're from the swamps of Louisiana, pretty much everything about that region is foreign to just about everyone else...

Congrats to Mike. (And you too )
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 25, 2011, 10:27 AM   #11
BIGR

Quote:
I should have put a in there or something.

You should be on SwampMen.... I wonder how you apply?
Nope I will stick to being a mountain man. I don't care about gators, snakes and hot weather. Where I live you have to be like a mountain goat to get around some of the most unforgiving terrain you could imagine.
Old September 25, 2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiv View Post
It's called "Swamp People".......and they should not be confused with.......well.......mom used to say "if you don't have anything nice to say......"

Let's just say that not much of what you see them doing is legal in Florida and that many of the behaviors they exibit are foreign to me, Louann and our friends.
Really? What do they do wrong? I know nothing of the "right" or "wrong" methods, never having seen a gator, or even a real swamp for that matter.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:25 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

peetza, I don't know the "right & wrong" in great detail but when you are ready to see a gator, a real swamp, wild hogs and mad southern beavers... You know yer invited!

BTW!!! You will see all of the above and more all at the same time as you wade nipples deep in the aforementioned "real swamp"

Don't worry about gettin' cold... Fear driven adrenaline is a better body warmer than liquor ever was...

Brent
Old September 25, 2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Brent... I'm going to take you up on that, one day.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:16 PM   #15
bswiv

The short answer to the question of right or wrong ( and mind you I said "ILLEGAL" in my post ) comes down exactly to the illegal of it if we did it in FL.

What they do in LA is legal there........but not here.

We are not allowed to set free floating baits or to set hooks on lines attached to trees or whatever.

During the public hunts in Fl. if you use bait you must have the line the bait is on under your control at all times. And you can not use hooks in the bait.

I am not passing judgement on how they do it......having been a commercial fisherman I understand how hard what they are doing is, making a living off nature. So if it's legal they need to get at it as best they can.

None of that changes the fact that from what few minutes of the show I have been able to stomach.............well.........maybe I should let it drop as we are suposed to be discussing hunting.