The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2011, 06:38 PM   #1
shredder4286

? for pistol reloaders

I've only been reloading pistol for a few weeks now, and I can't seem to get my Hornady powder measure to throw a consistant charge- even with small disc powder like the Alliant power pistol that I've been using for 9mm. How much variance in charges should I allow? The lowest charge listed for the round I'm working up is 4.8 Grains, and I understand it's dangerous to charge lower than that, so I've been setting my powder measure to throw at about 5.1, and it never gets below 4.8 that way. Any thoughts on this?
Old April 25, 2011, 06:44 PM   #2
engineermike

do you have the large drum or the smaller pistol drum. the smaller one works the best for pistol loads. When using the large one I was always adjusting my powder throw but after buying the smaller drum I have to adjust a lot less once I get it set. or it could be static electricity that is causing the large variance. I've never had that problem but you can call Hornady and ask them.
Old April 25, 2011, 06:48 PM   #3
shredder4286

I have both of the bushings- large and small. I've been using the small one for pistol loads. It is really dry here, so static electricity could be the culprit. The thing is- what do you do about static electricity?
Old April 25, 2011, 06:52 PM   #4
kraigwy

Wash your measure with warm soapy water, heavy on the dish soap. Let dry, dont rinse.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 25, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Utahar15

Have you ran a pound or so of powder through it to help get it lube so to speak?

Robb
Old April 25, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
BigJimP

static is likely the culprit ...and I use anti static dryer sheets ....and wipe the powder measure down inside and out until no particles of powder stick to the wall of the powder cannister .....and I put some dryer sheets into my powder storage cannister.

No more than 0.1 grain is acceptable on handgun loads.../ although you might have a little more leeway depeding on the powder you're using .../ but not much. Any decent powder measure ought to get you down to the 0.1 grain without a big problem.
Old April 25, 2011, 06:59 PM   #7
PA-Joe

Do you have a large and small rotor or just the pistons? You need a pistol set rotor and piston.
Old April 25, 2011, 07:51 PM   #8
shredder4286

Quote:
Have you ran a pound or so of powder through it to help get it lube so to speak?
Not quite a pound yet. More like 1/2 lb probably.

Quote:
static is likely the culprit ...and I use anti static dryer sheets ....and wipe the powder measure down inside and out until no particles of powder stick to the wall of the powder cannister .....and I put some dryer sheets into my powder storage cannister.

No more than 0.1 grain is acceptable on handgun loads.../ although you might have a little more leeway depeding on the powder you're using .../ but not much. Any decent powder measure ought to get you down to the 0.1 grain without a big problem.
I'll certainly try the dryer sheet method. I hold hornady products to a high standard, so hopefully I can get the measure to work in the right conditions.

Quote:
Do you have a large and small rotor or just the pistons? You need a pistol set rotor and piston.
They make those for the Hornady powder measure? I only have what the package included.
Old April 25, 2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Utahar15

I would use the dryer sheets and then when it's not sticking run a pound of powder through it to help get it lubed up. Although I have not used a Hornady powder measure, I had to do this with all 3 of none to get them to work worth anything. I almost bout the hornaday powder measure, but got a sweet deal on a lyman 55 so thats my main powder measure and I use the RCBS to rifle and the lee as a back up.

Robb
Old April 25, 2011, 09:49 PM   #10
engineermike

Oh yea that reminds me, did you clean the packing lube from all the parts before you put this thing together? If you did and you used a non dry lube some powder might be sticking in the rotor parts too. I am betting on the static as the problem. If you call Hornady they will help you with this problem, I have used them before with other issues (Dies) and they are always glade to help. The Power Pistol is one of the powders you should not have any trouble metering through this powder throw.
Old April 25, 2011, 09:58 PM   #11
shredder4286

Quote:
when it's not sticking run a pound of powder through it to help get it lubed up.
So when you run a bunch of powder through the measure it "lubes" it? weird!

Quote:
Oh yea that reminds me, did you clean the packing lube from all the parts before you put this thing together? If you did and you used a non dry lube some powder might be sticking in the rotor parts too. I am betting on the static as the problem. If you call Hornady they will help you with this problem, I have used them before with other issues (Dies) and they are always glade to help. The Power Pistol is one of the powders you should not have any trouble metering through this powder throw.
I did clean all the packing grease from the parts. However, I don't recall using any lube afterwards, just putting it back together. I'll have to call hornady and see if they can offer any further guidance.
I thought power pistol should meter pretty well! It's such small discs!
Old April 25, 2011, 10:37 PM   #12
engineermike

I believe the dry lube is to keep the powder measure from rusting. They will want you to buy their aerosol lube and it is good but a can does not go far. I've been using a little eezox on mine and it does well, and I have also used a little Royal Purple spray gun lube. (Both are synthetic) The Hoopes dry lube dries to a powder, I would not recommend it. The distillates will keep the metal tacky and the powder will clump up. (Not your problem yet)

If Hornady comes up with a new solution to the dryer sheets for the static let us know I'm sure others are having this problem to some degree or another.
Old April 26, 2011, 07:18 AM   #13
FlyFish

Quote:
So when you run a bunch of powder through the measure it "lubes" it? weird!
Smokeless powder is coated in powdered graphite to help it flow better, so that must be what lubes the powder measure. I haven't tried cleaning any granules to find out, but my understanding is that it's the graphite that gives smokeless powder its typical dark gray color - without it, it would be a sort of translucent yellowish-white.
Old April 26, 2011, 07:46 AM   #14
PA-Joe

If you have a LNL Classic single stage press or you bought the measure as a single item it only came with a large rotor and a rifle piston. You need a pistol rotor and piston. If you have a new LNL AP press it should have come with both a large and small rotor and piston. For pistols you need to use the rotor with the small hole and a small piston. I think you are trying to use a large hole rotor and that is no good under 10 grains.
Old April 26, 2011, 08:13 AM   #15
hunter52

Technique could be some of the problem with inconsistency.
Old April 26, 2011, 08:18 AM   #16
engineermike

Yea, the graphite is what helps the powder go into the case and if you would take the rotor out of your measurer you can see if it has a small hole or a large hole. Or you could look down into the measurer where the powder goes, either way be sure to remove any powder first.
Old April 26, 2011, 11:47 AM   #17
shredder4286

Quote:
If you have a LNL Classic single stage press or you bought the measure as a single item it only came with a large rotor and a rifle piston. You need a pistol rotor and piston. If you have a new LNL AP press it should have come with both a large and small rotor and piston. For pistols you need to use the rotor with the small hole and a small piston. I think you are trying to use a large hole rotor and that is no good under 10 grains.
Yes, I have the LNL classic kit-I'll have to order the pistol rotor and piston. Even then- with the same powder measure using Varget- I'm still getting inconsistencies. Anywhere from 1.5-2 grains.

Quote:
Technique could be some of the problem with inconsistency.
I bump the handle twice on the upstroke, once on the downstroke. Is that what you meant by technique?
Old April 26, 2011, 12:30 PM   #18
hunter52

the down stroke is when the powder is dumped into the measures cavity,rap the handle on the down stroke to settle the powder ,once twice or however many times you like ,doing it the exact same everytime with the same force is the key.
Sometimes,especially with "stick" powders,I double pump the handle and end up throwing an off charge ,it works best,for me anyway, if I move the handle only once on the upstroke.
Old April 26, 2011, 12:41 PM   #19
AlaskaMike

Quote:
I thought power pistol should meter pretty well! It's such small discs!
As much as I love Power Pistol, without a doubt it is the only powder I have that seems to be affected by static in my RCBS Uniflow. I have no problems with any of my other 10 powders I have on hand.
Old April 26, 2011, 12:49 PM   #20
shredder4286

Quote:
the down stroke is when the powder is dumped into the measures cavity,rap the handle on the down stroke to settle the powder ,once twice or however many times you like ,doing it the exact same everytime with the same force is the key.
Sometimes,especially with "stick" powders,I double pump the handle and end up throwing an off charge ,it works best,for me anyway, if I move the handle only once on the upstroke.
Ok, so next time I'll try just a regular upstroke, and then tapping it once or twice to settle the powder on the downstroke.

Quote:
As much as I love Power Pistol, without a doubt it is the only powder I have that seems to be affected by static in my RCBS Uniflow. I have no problems with any of my other 10 powders I have on hand.
Really? Weird. I guess if nothing else- I've conjured several remedies to fixing the problem if I ever have it again. Next lb of powder will be something different, since I wanted to try a different brand anyway.

Quote:
You need a pistol rotor and piston.
Just found and ordered a Hornady Pistol rotor & metering assembly on Midway for about $30. Thanks for that input-
Old April 26, 2011, 01:50 PM   #21
engineermike

Shedder;
You may want to check out Graf and Sons too. Their freight is sometimes less than the others but you may want to do a little comparative shopping. $30 is a competitive price. Some times I buy from Midway too, I've got good service from both.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:50 PM   #22
shredder4286

It was a few bucks more on Graf- I check them and Sinclair as well. Midway seems to have just about everything you could want, so I often order multiple items to save on shipping.
Old April 26, 2011, 04:00 PM   #23
engineermike

And you say you're new to reloading.
Old April 26, 2011, 05:10 PM   #24
shredder4286

Well, I am. Just not new to shopping online
Old April 27, 2011, 02:58 PM   #25
south.texas.dead.I

This happens a lot with shotgun reloading, the static will affect the powder up to a whole grain if it gets bad enough, we all ground our presses, just get an alligator clip some electrical wire and tie it into the grounding prong on a wall plug it hasn't failed us yet

iPhone using Tapatalk