The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Doggieman

ATI top-folding stock for Mossy 500, flush?

Hi, I've been looking for a top-folding stock for my Mossberg 500 persuader 12 gauge. I've seen the ATI one, but have heard that when folded it doesn't sit flush with the top of the barrel, but rather there's a gap and it flops around 1/2" to 1" or so.

Can anybody tell me if this is true? Any photos? I'd really like to get one but I need it to sit flush and tight against the barrel.

Thanks very much.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I am extremely underwhelmed by the ATI plastic top-folder.

Then again, top-folding stocks on 12 bore fowling pieces are an invitation to bruised and/or cut cheekbones anyway, no matter how high the quality of the materials out of which they're made.
Old August 24, 2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Doggieman

well thanks for your input..

anything specific you can mention about the aforesaid product?

thx
Old August 24, 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggieman
well thanks for your input..
Glad I could be of some service.
Quote:
anything specific you can mention about the aforesaid product?

thx
They don't lock up solidly; they torque hideously under moderate hand pressure, let alone recoil; they don't allow a solid cheekweld; they're useless with any type of sights; and they let any observer know that the user has never taken a combat shotgun course.

On the other hand, they look really cool in profile when folded, almost like the old "LE Only" Remington sheet metal top folder (which they have apparently supplanted on factory Remington LE shotguns ordered with this nearly useless appendage.)
Old August 25, 2009, 04:42 AM   #5
Doggieman

Well, I'm not really putting it on to look good, or to improve performance. I need one to make the gun as small as possible for transportation. I understand that there's nothing a folder can do better than the full stock, except get smaller. And I need something that will get as small as possible while being able to fold in to something useful.

I'm wondering if a side-folding stock would be better. But I don't really want to spend more than about $60.

I was surprised at how wide the ATI top-folder is. The old metal ones weren't nearly that wide.

Wonder if the side-folder would stick out more?
Old August 25, 2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Were it me, I'd go with a Choate side-folder. They're pretty rugged and allow a cheekweld without tearing up one's face. Almost all the other designs of folding shotgun stock just seem to have been designed by people who never actually fired a shotgun fitted with their product.

(I just wanted to make sure my absolute loathing for those ATI top-folders came across through this limited means of communication. )
Old August 25, 2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Doggieman

yes well you're not alone. Seems like 80% of the people hate ATI, even those who've never owned their stuff!

The choats are too expensive for meh, unfortunately. Maybe I'll head over the gun store and see what their return policy is. I just need it to kinda work. Not like I'm going to be running 1000 rounds through the thing. It's going to ride around in a small case to be pulled out in times of need only.

Currently I have a pistol grip w/ no stock.. anything's bound to be better than that.
Old August 25, 2009, 09:34 PM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just need it to kinda work. Not like I'm going to be running 1000 rounds through the thing. It's going to ride around in a small case to be pulled out in times of need only.
Yeah, it'd be better than a PGO, and I'm assuming ATI did some kind of durability testing before offering them...

Tags
500 , ati , folding , mossberg , stock