The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 29, 2008, 05:14 PM   #1
overkill556x45

I got Nagant fever...

Lately I've found myself feeling an uncontrollable urge to look up old milsurp bolt guns. I've wanted a Mosin-Nagant for a few years, but couldn't get motivated enough to actually buy one. So yesterday, I went to the surplus store on the edge of town looking for a new winter coat. The coats were next to the milsurp end of the gun counter, and an Izhvesk 91/30 caught my eye. Stamped 1942, it was a solid "good" condition. All the bits and pieces are present, and the only "problem" is some scuffs around the bayonet mounting area. Also had a few spots on the stock, but they are small, and few in number. They were asking $99 with all the field gear (to include Nagant multi-tool, oiler, sling, bayonet, mag pouch, and cleaning kit). I got approval from the wife, and it came straight home with me. Since it was the display model, most of the cosmoline was cleaned out of the action. The bore is still caked, but what I have uncovered is bright and looks promising---but it has definitely been counterbored at some point.

I have since ordered a spam can of Russian light ball, and one of Romanian heavy ball. I can't wait to hit the range and play "enemy at the gates" on my wannabe sniper course behind dad's place. I have a feeling that more Nagants may be in my future....
Old October 29, 2008, 06:05 PM   #2
bigghoss

you have violated the #1 rule of any new gun purchase. you have failed to post pics of the weapon. this is a mortal sin

we'll let it slide if you promptly post some pics. bonus points if you lay the gun on the floor and get your toes in the pic
Old October 29, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
overkill556x45

Okay, I did break the unwritten rule of "new gun" posts. In my defense I am a total computer-illiterate caveman--despite being in my mid 20s. I just found out they had the intertubes on computers now!

And here's the requested pic of rifle with complimentary toes.

Old October 29, 2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, you're hooked now!

Next thing you know, you'll be studying all the Finnish variants, and then you'll want a Chicom Type 53...
Old October 29, 2008, 08:56 PM   #5
jon_in_wv

Congrats! I love to shoot my Mosins. Remember, don't try to shoot it like its a slick action modern gun. Handle the bolt with authority like a Russian soldier and you will do just fine. Enjoy.
Old October 29, 2008, 09:44 PM   #6
ChicagoTex

very nice 91/30 - great price to boot.

I keep wanting to get a 91/30 of my own to accompany my 44.
Old October 30, 2008, 11:20 AM   #7
noelf2

Proceed with caution !!! I started the same as you. 1 Mosin (got mine at Gander Mtn for same price you paid). Since then I decided I needed a C&R license and the rest is $$ history.

By the way, I think you got a good deal on that 91/30. Might be cheaper online, but after shipping the cost is about the same (if you have a C&R license, more if you don't), and you don't get the advantage of looking it over first. I've been watching all the Mosins at gun shows lately and they are all over $100 now in VA. Usually about $110 and they have cosmo on them too, making it hard to see the bore sometimes. Used to be about $70 for the longest time.

Give us a range report when you can...
Old October 30, 2008, 11:23 AM   #8
noelf2

Almost forgot.... You need a Nagant revolver to go with that Mosin now. I don't know why, but I know you need it !!! I got 2.