The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 20, 2008, 05:19 PM   #1
soldiercraig

Rounds too long!!!

I bought some rounds for my revolver but the bullets are just a little too long. Any clue how to fix it? The caliber matches the gun, but Im not to sure how to make them fit together. Other brands of ammo fit fine so this is really puzzling me...
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss
Old June 20, 2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Scorch

A little more information, please? What cartridge is the firearm chambered for? What is the offending ammunition? For example, if the revolver is chambered in 32 S&W and you are trying to feed it 32 S&W Longs, it won't work. Likewise, 38 S&W and 38 S&W Special are not the same animal. SAAMI (Small Arms Ammumition Makers Institute) specification state what the carridge maximum length is supposed to be, and the firearm is designed to take a cartridge with those dimensions, so your question is a bit confusing.
Old June 21, 2008, 04:36 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is the ammunition factory ammo, or someone's reloads? If the latter, the problem you report is not uncommon as reloaders often make their ammo for their guns, not someone elses.

Factory ammo should be made to SAAMI specs and so should revolver cylinders.

Jim
Old June 25, 2008, 05:59 AM   #4
soldiercraig

The gun is chambered in 32 H&R magnum, the cartridges say 32 H&R magnum so Im a Little stumped on why they are iving me so much trouble, This is factory ammunition, not reloads.
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss
Old June 25, 2008, 08:31 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

What gun? If it is marked ".32 H&R Magnum", I would ask the maker about the problem. Note, however, that some folks re-chambered revolvers originally made for .32 S&W (short or long) to take the .32 H&R Magnum, then found the cartridges wouldn't fit (as you did) and traded the gun.

Jim