The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2018, 04:00 PM   #26
kmw1954

Unclenick I too have discussed the Speer Gold Dot with others and was aware of what you state. From looking at load data from different sources I find that when I can find Berry's and the Speer listed with the same powder they have been very close charge wise but the pressures and speeds are a bit different. Again the wild card that throws a wrench in the works is the Berry's Hollow Base bullet.

So I don't tell people to use the Gold Dot Data because I don't want to start wars every time the subject comes up. Most people I know that are heavy users of plated bullets feel the same way.
Old February 22, 2018, 05:07 PM   #27
Reloadron

First Reloading Experience A Failure - Looking for Guidance to Find out Why

Just as a side note, if you come away learning something I wouldn't call it a failure.

Ron
Old February 22, 2018, 11:03 PM   #28
markr6754

I'm a giddy little schoolgirl tonight. I've returned from testing the loads I prepared so meticulously on Tuesday night. To repeat: Fiocchi brass, Berry 115 gr plated bullets, Winchester WSP primers, and Hodgdon HP-38 powder. Additionally, I loaded 20 rounds of Hornady 115 gr HP XTP.

Berry CP RN
10 rounds 4.5 gr, C.O.L. 1.140" - flawless
10 rounds 4.7 gr, C.O.L. 1.130" - flawless
10 rounds 4.9 gr, C.O.L. 1.125" - flawless

Hornady HP XTP
10 rounds 4.2 gr, C.O.L. 1.070" - flawless
10 rounds 4.4 gr, C.O.L. 1.075" - flawless

The key difference between failure and success - a thoroughly cleaned firearm, and a cleaned and de-crudded extractor and spring. As well as the lightest bit of lubrication I believe I've ever used on my Berretta.

However, I still need to test my original loads, which I failed to bring with me to the range. I had the 50 specifically loaded rounds for this test, without asking myself ahead of time..."but what if they fire beautifully?"

So I can say that the higher charges worked quite well for the Berry plated bullets, but the lightest loads remain to be tested.

On the other hand, the light loads for the XTPs worked just as beautifully. They also make a much prettier hole in the targets, which is to be expected given the price difference between the Hornady's and the Berry's.

Additional great news...Point Blank, my local gun shop and shooting range, offers a monthly unlimited pass for about $35...but provide a 50% discount to Military including veterans, as well as all first responders. Just something else to add incredible value to this new endeavor.

Stay tuned.
Old February 22, 2018, 11:15 PM   #29
markr6754

KMW1954, what's your name, by the way?
You've been a great sage and advocate along the way. Naturally, I understand that all I've done at this point is successfully complete my first step on a life-long journey. Yes, getting this set as a separate post has been phenomenal. The comments, advice, guidance, chastising, it's all good. Much appreciate you getting me started right. I pray that I live long enough to gain wisdom and experience in this art form, and then pass it along to others as you have done. Maybe I'll just call you Obi Wan....or sensei!
Old February 22, 2018, 11:19 PM   #30
kmw1954

Mark a PM is coming your way.
Old February 23, 2018, 06:17 AM   #31
black_hog_down

Find yourself an outdoor range that has at least a 100 yards. Doesn't take long before loading for handgun leads to loading for rifle.
I am lucky enough to have a range that I pay $150 annually and it has skeet, pistol and rifle lanes out to 300.
Ringing the gong at 300 is fun.
Old February 23, 2018, 03:57 PM   #32
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_hog_down View Post
Find yourself an outdoor range that has at least a 100 yards. Doesn't take long before loading for handgun leads to loading for rifle.
I am lucky enough to have a range that I pay $150 annually and it has skeet, pistol and rifle lanes out to 300.
Ringing the gong at 300 is fun.
Black Hog, sounds like a plan. I have enrolled in a CCW class for March, and it's held at a local park/gun club. I'll find out what membership runs. For now, I'm happy as can be having near unlimited shooting at a close by range for $17.49 a month. At this point, the budget can't handle two programs. You all know how much initial investment is required to get started in this lifestyle. I'm pushing $1,000 now, and still don't have everything I need for the hand gun cartridges I'm likely to load.