The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2017, 01:42 PM   #1
BigMikey76

Gray framed SD9

I've been carrying my PT111 G2 since I first got it back in Jan 2015. It has served me well, and my only complaint about it is that it doesn't come in a NMS variation. It is the gun my son learned to shoot with, and he is very comfortable shooting it. In fact he is so comfortable with it that I am giving it to him. He will be moving in to his first apartment this Summer, and he can't afford to buy a gun of his own, so it just seems like the right thing to do. I thought about getting him one of his own, but it occurred to me that if I am going to get a new gun, I may as well get myself something without a manual safety.

I chose the SD9. I have decided that it is the perfect combination to replace both my PT111 and the P-07 I sold recently. I realized that I was never carrying the P-07 not because of its size, but because of its weight. The 22 oz Taurus was just more comfortable than the 28 oz CZ. The SD9 has the same basic capacity and dimensions as the CZ, but it weighs the same as the Taurus, making it the best of both worlds.

There is one thing I am not sure about, though it didn't keep me from making the purchase. The one I ordered is listed as SD9, not SD9VE. It has a black slide and a gray polymer frame. What little info I was able to find on it led me to the conclusion that this is a reintroduction of the SD9 that was out prior to the VE model, but I'm not positive about that. It says that the slide finish is "Armornite," and I'm pretty sure that S&W began doing that finish after the release of the VE, indicating that this is a newer version. If anyone has any real info on it, I would appreciate knowing more about my new gun. I would especially like any info regarding compatibility with Apex trigger upgrades.

I'll post pics, review, etc. once it comes in and has its first couple hundred rounds through it.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:01 PM   #2
carguychris

Where did you order this pistol from?

I've only seen the SD9 offered with a black frame. [EDIT] Until now.

The SD9 offered in 2010-2011 had all-black finish, a front night sight, and a plain non-illuminated two-dot rear sight. This model was dropped on or slightly before the intro of the SD9 VE in early 2012.

The SD9 reappeared in mid-2016 at Academy Sports stores. This version also has all-black finish but with colorful front and rear fiber-optic sights. S&W does NOT catalog this version and little is known about it other than what has been observed at Academy. There's speculation that it's an Academy exclusive, although it hasn't been expressly marketed as such.

[EDIT TO ADD] Further Googling reveals that a gray-frame SD9 is being advertised as a Zander's distributor exclusive. The link doesn't say anything specific about the sights, but the picture shows plain ones rather than the Academy fiber-optic units, and I presume that if they were night sights, Zander's would boast about it.

Last edited by carguychris; April 27, 2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: stuff added
Old April 27, 2017, 02:23 PM   #3
BigMikey76

Quote:
Where did you order this pistol from?
$326 from Grab a Gun. They have the VE model for $269, but I liked the look of the gray polymer - I plan to name it Gandalf, assuming it performs well enough to stick around (I know, I'm a huge geek).
Old April 27, 2017, 03:18 PM   #4
Siggy-06

S&W #11995
Old April 27, 2017, 03:43 PM   #5
carguychris

Siggy-06, I can't find anything on the S&W website with that SKU. The Zander's link shows it but that might be a Zander's catalog number.
Old April 28, 2017, 06:43 AM   #6
Siggy-06

It may not be listed on S&W's site. Here's a link for the pistol though: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...spx?item=11995