The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Dusty Rivers

Texas Open Carry call to action

http://governor.state.tx.us/contact/thankyou.aspx

Please contact the governor to request addition to the special session. This is important!

It is more important to contact governor Perry. Texas legislature is on special session, and no bill can be voted on unless the governor puts it in the agenda.

What is a Special Session?

Texas’ 83rd Legislature’s regular session ended Monday, May 27. Almost immediately, Governor Perry exercised the privilege of calling a special session. (TX Constitution, Article 4, Section 8)

A special session (or, “called session”) may last up to 30 days and may cover only bills within the subject designated by the Governor in his call. (TX Constitution, Article 3, Section 40) Governor Perry’s proclamation for this special session included only one subject: redistricting. However, the Governor may add to the call whatever subjects he wishes, without limit, at any time during the session.

Bills from the regular session may not be carried over into the special session; new bills must be filed and will have new bill numbers, even if the bill’s language is identical to one from the regular session. Any legislator may file a bill, just as in a normal session, and it may even be referred to committee (at the discretion of the chair), but it will not be heard, considered, or voted on unless the chair determines it is within the subject matter of the Governor’s call.

(See more info and FAQ about special sessions.)

Help Add Gun Bills to the Special Session

Are you a Texas voter? Are you disappointed that all the truly significant gun bills died this past session? Would you like them to be passed this special session? Governor Rick Perry, Lt. Governor David Dewhurst (president of the Senate), and Speaker of the House Joe Straus need to hear from you immediately!

Please call and email Perry, Dewhurst. Ask that Open Carr subjects be added to the call of the special session.

http://governor.state.tx.us/contact/thankyou.aspx

Please contact the governor to request addition to the special session. This is important!

This is a cut and past copy from another forum pass it on please!
Old June 13, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but this isn't going to go anywhere. I would like to be realistic. As seen in another thread, Perry did not use his powers to add the much more important issue of campus carry. He has already spoken against open carry, IIRC.

I would also not like to see another OC debate. We have done this into the ground. Certainly, express your opinion to Perry but don't think it will do anything.

It is sad that Perry didn't step up but also we don't need a rant fest.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:10 PM   #3
seeker_two

Perry is in a tough spot.....if he doesn't add gun issues to the special session, then Dewhurst's political career is finished and Perry loses Tea Party support to Abbott. If he does add gun issues, he loses Strauss' influence in the House and stirs up the ire of the establishment Republicans who are trying to keep on the moderate nat'l GOP's good side....something he needs for his next POTUS run.

In true Perry form, I'll bet he doesn't add it....and hope TX voters forget his hypocracy (remember his speech to the NRA Convention) by 2014.....as it worked for him in 2008.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Dusty Rivers

endeavor to preserver

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. That is how our rights get taken away, maybe just maybe we need to be as persistent as the anti people. I know the chances are slim, but lets "endeavor to preserver", one of my favorite lines from the Outlaw Josey Wales. all it takes is a quick e-mail.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

You need to try things that work. Writing Perry after the fact - when the game was known to be done awhile ago - doesn't work.

There was a large faxing, call, e-mail campaign before this decision and that didn't do it.

So now you think he is going to see the light?

You stand the risk of being ineffectual. Once you do that, you are ignored.

Think of another strategy.

PS - this isn't being anti the effort. It is an attempt to be realistic. I spent time and stood up for campus carry. Open carry has less of a chance. If people don't want to face facts - then you lose battles.

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; June 14, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6
csmsss

Perry would probably sign an open carry bill if it came to his desk. But he's not going to expend one ounce of political energy or capital to do so. And the manner in which the legislative forces are aligned in Austin makes the entire issue a non-starter. The day will probably come when they support open carry, in order to distract attention away from their massive spending increases, and that day is when open carry might be permitted to become an issue in the TX State House again.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Funny, I went back and read the same exact analyses of Perry on open carry and campus carry at the previous session.

Oh, he will sign it. Let's send him letters. Let's have a special session.

History repeats - as if we didn't know this. TSRA folks told me that we had a better campus carry chance in the previous session and yet, Perry didn't use his clout or powers. Hmm!

Let's fax him.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Alabama Shooter

When I was in Texas I did ask the local rep about it. He was not in the least interested in it. He is extremely pro gun and carries concealed every day too. I don't think most want it.