The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 16, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Jo6pak

A bird in the hand....

I stumbled across this video today, thought I'd share it.

http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelinde...5-3c73e16f502c

It reminded me of a time when my brother shot an incoming mallard that almost dropped right into our blind.

So share some of your strangest, oddest, or most funny wing-shooting stories. It should be good for a laugh
Old May 16, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2
HungryHunter

That is awesome! If only my elk would do that in my November hunt. Might have a handful though. I don't have any good storeies. It does remind me of when Randy Johnson nailed that bird though. I saw some doves flying dangerously close Monday night at Chase Field, was hoping for a repeat. That would have made the game interesting since the rest of it was just like watching the Braves have batting practice!
Old May 17, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
markj

Heh, years ago we had a line of hunters going thru a field. Dad was at the end blocking. Well we got to the end and a pheas flushed. every guy took a shot as it flew from the left to the right, everyone missed. By the time it got to Dad it was way up high, dad took one shot, pheas folded and hit a tractor parked across the road.

I was walking a field edge, 2 pheas flush, I got both and had the satisfaction of having both dogs retrieve a bird to me.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:49 PM   #4
publius

Buddy and I were shooting bluebill and canvasback while sitting on the levee of some catfish ponds in the MS. Delta. If you know anything about divers, they often fly low and fast. I shot a bluebill out of a flock coming directly at us and it hit my buddy square in the chest and rolled him over. Don't think I quit laughing all day.
Old May 18, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Jo6pak

Shoulda yelled "DUCK!!"