The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
jtwusmc

Any Knowledgeable Hatfield Experts or Collectors?

Hey forum. Is anyone out there knowledgeable in Hatfield shotguns. I know they are a very reputable brand, but I am looking to find out just how desireable they are.

I have a gentleman offering me a custom hand built 20 ga double barrel Hatfield (Gun Co., Inc. of St Joseph, MO) shotgun built in 1995-96. It has a lower serial # and he claims it has never been fired.

I have a Corvette that he wants to trade this as a partial payment for and he claims it is valued at over 10k . Can anyone validate this claim? Could I expect to get this or anything close? Pic attached for any experts out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun - Shotgun - Hatfield.jpg (233.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Gun - Shotgun - Hatfield - Barrel.jpg (253.2 KB, 75 views)
Old November 30, 2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

Here's a link to an article about Ted Hatfield and his St. Joseph, MO gun company written in 1990:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/19901001/5391.html

It states he was selling the "top of the line" models for $ 6,900 in 1990...

Let's assume that the gun above was $10K when it was new in 1995-'96 (that's assuming again that the manufacturing date can be verified), very few guns appreciate, even besposke & best guns can't be guaranteed not to depreciate...

See if you can get some more pictures, close ups of any markings on the bottoms of the barrels in the area where it closes...

Just to throw more more confusion into the mix, a Hatfield Gun Company was connected with the importation of Turkish made Huglu shotguns in the early to mid 2000's, I don't know the connection between the two companies...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old November 30, 2011, 09:50 PM   #3
johnbt

I sort of remember the inexpensive Hatfield guns. They were made by Huglu in Turkey until CZ contracted with Huglu to make CZ shotguns. I lost track of Hatfield about then.

I know nothing about the more expensive Hatfields that isn't in a price guide.

Google search. You tell me.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/103525...ga-set-28-20ga
Old November 30, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

The Hatfields I know of were made in the early to mid 19th Century.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

If the gun checks out, this indicates it is worth that kind of money. http://books.google.com/books?id=xyo...ompany&f=false

Edit that: I hadn't scrolled down to the right spot. If that is what you have the gun isn't worth much more then $2K. Those prices may be for the ones built 20 years ago.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; November 30, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old November 30, 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Hunter Customs

The early ones looked good, a friend of mine had one in 20 ga.
We both tried shooting it and I can honestly say it's one of the two shotguns that actually hurt me worse then what I was shooting at.
My friend shot two shells (one through each barrel) and decided that was enough for him.

I read as much of the story as I could stand to read, if you talk to people around St. Joseph MO I believe you will hear a whole different story then the hype in the magazine.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter