The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 30, 2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Lee-Enfield

Marlin 336 trigger very heavy!

Hi all,

I have a Marlin 336SS in 30-30 which has quite a heavy trigger pull, much heavier than I'm used to and something that bothers me every time I shoot it. I've taken shooting just a few times and only put about 400 rounds through it and dry fired it with snap caps about the same number of times. I thought that perhaps the trigger would ease up with use (as the action has), but it doesn't seem to have improved.

In any case, I measured it today at 3.4 kg (7.6 lbs) which seems excessive to me. Is this typical for this rifle?

I've heard there is a "Happy Trigger" DIY kit that can be bought online. Alternatively, is there some adjustment I could make myself with some emery cloth or something? (Mind you I have no gunsmith experience.)

This is my everything gun (fun plinking / some amateur competition / dreams of hunting) so what would be a suitable trigger pull weight in your own experience?

Many thanks!
Old December 30, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Edward429451

I have the happy trigger on my 1895G and the could have called it the ecstatic trigger, it's worth every penny. I got it from Wild West Guns, WildgooddealAlaska is here on the board somewhere...

My buddy didn't have the C note for the happy trigger for his 336CS so he very carefully stoned his stock trigger to Happytrigger dimensions and tested it for safety and it did improve his trigger and has never gone full auto on him (sic). I wouldn't stone your trigger without a Happy trigger there to compare to, just buy it and be done with it. Beware the happy trigger! You ust think about that thing going and bang. I love it.
Old December 30, 2010, 10:37 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

7.6lbs is heavy for a rifle trigger in my opinion. I would not be happy with that.

I've been very satisfied with the Trigger Happy Kit from Wild West Guns. I have one in my Marlin 1895 and the improvement is truly amazing. Installation is not difficult.

You might be able to improve your trigger with some polishing, but if you try that approach you should:
  • Be VERY careful not to round edges or round corners.
  • Go VERY slowly and test frequently. You can polish a little more if it's still too rough, but you can't unpolish or put metal back on.
  • Be VERY careful not to change the angles of the polished surfaces by taking too much off one side/polishing unevenly.
  • Be VERY careful not to reduce sear engagement significantly.
  • Test the rifle carefully when you're done to make sure the hammer won't "push off" (drop when pressure is applied to the hammer).
  • Test the rifle carefully when you're done by jarring the buttstock on a carpeted or padded surface to be sure that the hammer won't drop from being jarred.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:13 AM   #4
skydiver3346

Happy Trigger is the answer:

Like others have said: Get a "Happy Trigger kit" from Wild West and your problems are over. I did and it is an awesome trigger, makes my 336 extremely accurate now. As a matter of fact, have replaced all three of my Marlin model 336's with the Happy Trigger. All of them shoot very well. It is the best solution ever for heavy or hard trigger pulls. You won't be sorry I can promise you that. Good luck!
Old December 31, 2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Lee-Enfield

Thanks for all the input guys. I've gone ahead and ordered a Wild West Happy Trigger. It's not readily available in Australia (and would be quite expensive here like most firearm supplies despite the AUD's strength), so I've ordered it from Brownells in the U.S. who ship internationally.

I think I'll be patient and leave the factory trigger unmodified and just wait for the Happy Trigger kit to arrive.

I'll report back once I have it installed! Happy New Year!
Old December 31, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

I think you'll be happy with it. Consensus on the old Marlin forum was that it would beat a trigger job from a good smith.
Old December 31, 2010, 10:48 PM   #7
swsurgeon

A part-time gunsmith (retired fellow) helped me do the simple install of the Trigger Happy Kit. He was really UNhappy that it felt better than the trigger on his personal cowboy action competition Marlin---over which he had labored for quite a few hours.