The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 23, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1
WANT A LCR 22LR

Enlarging the muzzel end of a 22 revolver?

Just a random thought I had while looking at the puppies at the gun store. Say someone has a 4 to 6" . 22 revolver nightstand gun. The gun is a 22 version of a say 38/357 so it's a large frame. The muzzle end hole looks pretty small in comparison to the rest of the gun. It might offer more visual impact to a BG if the hole was larger.

If the last 1/2 inch was bored out to .38, would this affect accuracy? Would the muzzle blast affect bullet path in the last 1/2" ? Lastly, would this be considered a illegal mod? ( a pre cursor to installing a silencer even though it isn't threaded)

Thanks
Old October 23, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

It will affect the accuracy, whether positive or negative is up to the technique used. If you bore it out with a drill press, accuracy will most likely go to crap. You put it on a mill and have a professional (a bit deeper than normal) sinking of the muzzle done, accuracy might improve, and your muzzle might be less susceptible to damage.

Last edited by mapsjanhere; October 23, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old October 23, 2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

You are not showing it off.
Even stupid bad guys are smart enough to know they don't want to get shot with anything, regardless of caliber.
If the gun, as is, doesn't deter him, pull the trigger.
Old October 23, 2010, 02:09 PM   #4
cerberus65

For the ultimate black hole to point at a BG, I recommend a 12 gauge. Or just do like I do and park a 1911 by the bed. A .45 inch hole is plenty intimidating plus I like the idea of a low pressure round since we're inside and without ear protection.

The crown of the muzzle is a huge part of the accuracy of a gun whether it's at the tip of the barrel or recessed in an inch or so. If you do decide to do it, make sure you have it done professionally. Otherwise you'll ruin it for sure.

You no doubt know this already but .22LR is much, much better for target shooting and plinking than it is for SD. I'd pick something else in a bigger caliber before I'd make an expensive mod to small caliber gun.
Old October 23, 2010, 02:14 PM   #5
TheGoldenState

Quote:
If the gun, as is, doesn't deter him, pull the trigger
sig material right there!
Old October 23, 2010, 02:44 PM   #6
g.willikers

If the bad guy can see the .22 size hole at the end of the barrel, he can also see the .22 size holes at the front end of the cylinder.
Old October 23, 2010, 03:01 PM   #7
HiBC

If this is your bedroom nightstand gun and you are thinking about counterboring the muzzle so your gun will scare someone who has entered your bedroom away....
I suggest training or somehow finding a new mindset.
One number in the statistics is about people having there own guns taken away and used on them.
There are folks on staff here who can say it better than I can.
Sometimes the presence of a SD weapon will scare off the bad guy.Fine.
It may not be good to have that as your mindset if a situation ever becomes real.
Old October 23, 2010, 03:18 PM   #8
highvel

Could that be taking a chance on the gun being misconstrued as modified to change/or obscure the rifling?

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old October 23, 2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Slopemeno

(sigh)...spend the money you'd spend on that mod on practice ammo.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:03 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

IMHO, an intruder confronted by an angry homeowner holding a revolver is NOT going to get out a vernier caliper and measure the bore size. He is going to a) shoot, b) run, or c) create a big stink and collapse right there.

FWIW, if bore size mattered, I have the perfect HD gun in front of me - a Model 1842, .54 caliber. Now that is a big hole.

Jim
Old October 23, 2010, 10:46 PM   #11
WANT A LCR 22LR

Quote:
(sigh)...
Did anyone actually read my first post? This was a random thought not a request to do it to a gun I own. It also gives me a better understanding as to why / how the crown affects gun performance.

For the record, I own 2 .38 snubs and a 357 4" large frame, all have adequate size holes thank you. I have no reservations and have the capability to welcome a intruder with a bit o lead.

My sig name is the desire for gun makers to manufacture a companion 22 to larger caliber guns so new PD shooters can practice using the same form factor as their carry weapon. The target audience being someone who has a gun for protection and not a hobby.

In a home defense situation, firing a gun is going to cause hearing damage to the shooter. Not having to fire is preferable so having a gun that looks the part would help. RE: you hold the intruder at bay or they run off. However if they make a agressive move to you shoot at will.

The 22 for PD has been run round the block so many times the road needs repaved. There are people that just can't handle the recoil of something larger than a 22LR, so in that case something is better than nothing.
Old October 24, 2010, 02:07 AM   #12
RAnb

Quote:
Lastly, would this be considered a illegal mod? ( a pre cursor to installing a silencer even though it isn't threaded)
Not illegal. Also silencers are legal in the USA, and in 37 states for unlicensed civilians. Obtaining ATF approval is a routine matter.

Ranb
Old October 28, 2010, 01:24 AM   #13
Ideal Tool

C'Boring Muzzle of .22

Hello, Want A LCR 22 LR. At schuetzen rifle club, one of the gunsmiths figured that 16" was long enough & legal for .22 L.R. stabilization & highest velocity, & shorter barrel time for off-hand target shooting. The only problem was lack of ballance, non-traditional look & too short sight radius for iron-sights. His solution?....Bloop Tube! He threaded a smooth tube to end of short rifle brl. overall was 26 or 28". First sample had 1/4" dia. hole. He found that he had to go to at least 1/2" to avoid turbulence from gasses destroying accuracy. The only thing ...he said he had a hard time getting used to the funny hollow "PUNK " sound.
Old October 28, 2010, 07:22 PM   #14
WANT A LCR 22LR

Quote:
The only thing ...he said he had a hard time getting used to the funny hollow "PUNK " sound.
I'm guessing that's why it's called a bloop tube!

Thanks for the info.
Old October 29, 2010, 12:30 PM   #15
Mac's!

My old Mom used to carry a large caliber revolver but her wrists got too weak to control it. However, she didn't want to give up having a means of self defense. She ended up with a large revolver that was .22 caliber. The end of the muzzle was bored back about 3/4 of an inch and from the front, looked like a .44. Yes, the crown at the end of the .22 bore ...down inside the .44 hole...was clean and cut nicely. I don't remember what make the gun was but my brother had the bore machined out by a pro. Yes, it was accurate! She could pop .22 Vipers into the X ring all day long from any reasonable self defense range.

The neat thing about it was that due to being a rather large pistol, the recoil was pretty lite. Also, I'm fairly familiar with firearms but all I could focus on was the HUGE muzzle! I never even saw the little chamber openings in the cylinder. Even though I knew it was "only" a .22, it still had a lot of intimidation factor.

No, I've never been in a bad situation where I was confronted with the business end of a firearm but I'm positive that I wouldn't look at the "little bullets" in the chambers and decide that those little things will just bounce off of me.

Yes, the larger hole in the end of the barrel will increase the intimidation factor of the firearm...as long as the bad guy is cognizant enough to recognize that fact. If it's dark or he/she's in attack mode or he/she's drugged up, etc., it won't have any effect at all. But if the bad guy is able to see the size of the muzzle opening, a larger hole will have more deterrence. Isn't that what it's all about? Doing everything reasonable to avoid having to shoot in the first place? (As time allows)

The added benefit of a .22 caliber self defense weapon is the reduced cost of the ammo plus the reduced "work" involved in practicing with it leads to more practice which of course leads to better accuracy. No, I'm not suggesting that the .22 is the perfect self defense weapon but it's a great alternative for those persons who are not able to handle a larger caliber...like my old Mom. If all else fails, her X ring was the tip of the nose! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old October 29, 2010, 12:46 PM   #16
bjl333

N-Framed 22lr anyone? The size of the gun would be imtimidating enough !!!
Old October 29, 2010, 04:45 PM   #17
lefteyedom

The gunsmithing is easy, logic flawed

Never make a threat that you are not able and willing to carry threw with.

Get a 38 special, at least you would have a fighting chance.
Old October 29, 2010, 05:00 PM   #18
publius

If I were a bad guy (I'm not) I don't think I would be able to tell how big the hole in your muzzle is, all I'm seeing is GUN! I messed with the wrong person, I'm getting out of here. If the gun doesn't deter him I don't think it will be b/c of size either.