The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 30, 2009, 10:47 PM   #176
sks

I won't generally put up for the outlandish prices of ammo these days but if the price is decent I'll still buy. When I buy it is also with several of my shooting compadres in mind. My dad, uncle and cousin are all avid shooters and we pick up what we can for one another. Then I've got about 5 close friends who are really into shooting and we do the same. If we "sell" to one another it is for what we paid for the ammo and nothing more.

That being said I can't say anything negative about those who buy and then resell. That is what makes the world go round. If someone is stupid or desperate enough to pay $35.00 for WWB 9mm then I've got several boxes to sell them. And for all of those on their high horse about making money by reselling ammo, I'm sure most of them sold their used guns for way under market value. Some probably did and some might have given guns to others but the large majority got their money's worth or more. Unless they traded it in at a gun shop.

Don't worry my friends President Barack Hussein Obama will soon bailout the firearms indurstry and put a Model 70 in every home with 200 rounds of ammo. All for free!
Old May 31, 2009, 01:05 PM   #177
Howaido

Quote:
My point more often than not its the customer that is rude or has no clue.
True. Working with the public can be awful as many of them are rude, self-centered a-holes.

That said, my trips to WM are always before 7am and only last a maximum of 20 minutes. I have a list, get it, and get out before the previously-mentioned "public" arrives. I also have a standing rule of only going there once a month.
Old May 31, 2009, 04:06 PM   #178
ragwd

Just happened to be in Walmart and for ****s and giggles I go over to the sporting goods and ask about the ammo.The lady behind the counter say I don't know anything but if I want to wait a few minutes she would get the guy who mormally works there. In a few minutes she comes back with the regular guys and I ask him if he has any ammo, his reply what are you looking for? I say 9mm or 380, he says we just got a shipment today and only had 1 box of rem green box 9mm luger and some 40 cal and some 22lr left. So I take the one box of 9 mm and ask him when does he get in his shipments, he says no regular day , when they show up well then its here. He gives me a knowing look and says, look I am a shooter too, we have 4 or 5 guys come in early everyday and buy up as much ammo as they will let them have, and he says I see them at every gun show selling it back to the public at inflated price. Gee thanks alot guys, nothing like sticking it to your peers for a few bucks. Anyway he say they have a 6 box limit with 3 of any one caliber. Will the madness ever end.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:40 PM   #179
DasFriek

edited for grammer

Last edited by DasFriek; June 1, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:59 PM   #180
Beentown71

Funny ramblings. Just make sure the barrel is fully supported:barf:

Beentown
Old May 31, 2009, 11:19 PM   #181
DasFriek

edited for grammer

Last edited by DasFriek; June 1, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:46 AM   #182
SigfanTN

Just got back from the local WM. I saw empty shelf except for a couple of boxes of .40 Blazer brass on the side the pistol ammo is normally kept. I almost missed the 5 boxes of WWB 100 ct value packs of .45 sitting on the other side. Went to get someone to unlock the case and bought them.

Now, I finally have enough .45 ammo to shoot. This stuff has been hard to find. It's better to go in the morning, I think. This WM has had some trickling in a little at a time.
Old June 1, 2009, 11:00 AM   #183
tmd11111

Just got off the phone with the wife (i'm in iraq). Our local walmart had a 6 box limit. Thats 6 boxes total reguardless of caliber. She did pick up 6 boxes of Blazer Brass .40S&W for me while she was there. Price went up a bit, it's now $12.77. Thats still less then half of what the hackers are charging.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:51 PM   #184
fields

ammo

Be really nice to the retired lady behind the counter! After about twenty trips, she started liking me, and now calls me whenever something comes in that I want. I tell her "yes maam" and drive on over to get my six boxes. I help her get the ammo off of the pallets to her cart, with other customers, etc. At 10:30 at night she is also responsible for automotive, and thinks it is a pain.

richard
Old June 2, 2009, 03:25 AM   #185
Elvishead

Quote:
fields:

Be really nice to the retired lady behind the counter! After about twenty trips, she started liking me, and now calls me whenever something comes in that I want. I tell her "yes maam" and drive on over to get my six boxes. I help her get the ammo off of the pallets to her cart, with other customers, etc. At 10:30 at night she is also responsible for automotive, and thinks it is a pain.

richard
I did the same thing except it's a retire gentlman. I also got him a great price on some GDHP +P LEO ammo for his Glock 26. I brought it right in the store and sold it to him at my cost. Wink Wink.

Okay, I rounded it up, so I made $2.50, BFD. He said keep the 20 but I gave him $5 back.
Old June 2, 2009, 01:40 PM   #186
tx glock guy

Some people are lucky, others are not.
The Wally World's around me (3 within 25 miles) haven't had any ammo
in months.
Old June 2, 2009, 02:36 PM   #187
XpatBubba

When I lived in FL, I bought Wal-Mart white box .40, 9mm, & .45 every Friday when I got paid.
There were some rounds as I recall thet were MUCHO expensive, 762 X 39 & .38 Spl were the worst if memory serves

My Wal Mart employees did not even know where to look most of the time. I did, just tell em a lil to your left and up when they go fishin around for the right box
Old June 2, 2009, 04:51 PM   #188
Tom2

Well I went to the Walmart around here to check their stockpile, (I do not buy ammo there) and he had 4 boxes or so of 9MM. Started as a case and apparently did not last long. Someone said they heard jackasses were buying it all up from Walmart and taking it to one of these big flea markets around here to sell for double the price. Sorry there is a limit to what I would pay for some WWB ball and to heck with them and all the greedy goons.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:43 PM   #189
inSight-NEO

Nice bit of luck there! Now, Im assuming you have the necessary space for all of these rounds?

Im still waiting on "Wally World" to accomodate me with several boxes of .45 ACP Winchester FMJ. For me, at least, the wait continues.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:56 PM   #190
Tophe

Yep, plenty of space for them. Ive already been shooting them up though...gonna have to start trying my luck again soon.

Just make sure you ask the guy at the counter, and be polite about it.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:59 PM   #191
jfrey123

Yeah, people buying 9 out of 10 boxes are the #1 problem related to this ammo shortage. Way to go :barf::barf::barf:
Old June 3, 2009, 10:16 AM   #192
Tophe

I hope youre not serious. I bought 700 rounds , and at that time, gave me a total of 800 rounds. Its not like im buying 8 of 10 out of every case that they get. Im not hoarding, I simply bought what I needed because I just bought a new gun and plan to be shooting it alot this summer. Anyone else would have done the same thing.
Old June 3, 2009, 10:30 AM   #193
Elvishead

Quote:
Tophe:

Anyone else would have done the same thing.
Okay, that's only borderline hoarding. Shades of grey.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:09 PM   #194
novalty

I think the shortage might start to be getting better. Called my local Wally World this morning, and they had 45acp and 9mm in stock. Headed out the door immediately, and suprisingly it was still there 30 minutes later. Bought the only 5 boxes of 45 for my shooting buddy who pick up a S&W M&P 45 a couple months ago and only had 50 rounds to shoot. He'd been waiting on 500 rounds on backorder from Cabelas since he ordered the gun--they still are telling him at least another month. The 9mm was at pre-election levels, as I bought another box for myself hitting the 6 box limit, and they must of had at least 15 more boxes on the shelf. Might try calling them again in the morning to see if it last the day--doubt it.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:26 PM   #195
iScream

Quote:
tx glock guy

The Wally World's around me (3 within 25 miles) haven't had any ammo
in months.
I was passing through the Frisco area about 3 weeks ago and stopped at Walmart in The Colony just for the heck of it. I walked out with 4 Federal value packs of 22LR and two value packs of Winchester, over 3000 total rounds. There were several boxes of Winchester left but I was at the 6 box limit. I think they had some 9mm in there as well.

Anyway, your Walmart is probably getting ammo but there seem to be quite a few people who camp in there every single morning and buy whatever came off the truck the night before.

-Chris
Old June 3, 2009, 10:55 PM   #196
Silverado

Quote:
Anyway, your Walmart is probably getting ammo but there seem to be quite a few people who camp in there every single morning and buy whatever came off the truck the night before.
I'm sure you are right, iScream. I stopped by my local WM a couple of weeks ago to buy supplies and checked in at the sporting goods counter to see if there was any pistol ammo to be had. Nothing, not even .22! The clerk gave me a wink and said "stop back by Sunday morning, the next shipment should be here and on the shelves then". No good for me, I'm at church Sunday morning... While I was still in earshot, he gave the same wink and advice to another customer looking for 9mm ammo. I can imagine that Sunday morning there were a couple hundred guys who all got the same "inside info" from that clerk.

My gun dealer has the odd box of .45 and .357 on hand occasionally, seems to be getting better, tho' it is still expensive. Like many on the thread, I keep on the lookout for friends and family too and was able to score a couple boxes of 9mm for my dad recently at Dick's Sporting Goods of all places.

I was at Bass Pro Shop / Outdoor World a couple months ago and watched as a employee wheeled a hand cart out to the ammo shelf. Customers descended on the employee and bought almost everything before the poor guy could even shelf it. One woman, apparently acting on instructions from her cell phone, bought all the 9mm on the cart, several hundred rounds.

"I don't want to kill you and you don't want to be dead." Mal Johnson
Old June 4, 2009, 03:05 AM   #197
Lost Sheep

Am I a hoarder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvishead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophe
Anyone else would have done the same thing.
Okay, that's only borderline hoarding. Shades of grey.
One man's hoarding is another man's prudence.

I have a thousand rounds of 45 ACP. Does that make me a hoarder?

I bought them over 18 months ago. Does that change things?

I also have some cast lead bullets I bought 30 years ago and have not loaded yet. (I don't follow the normal rules of rotating inventory, obviously).

I bought them because they were on sale and they cost just about the same as I could buy the compents for.

There was no "shortage" going on at the time.

I intend to shoot them, not sell them.

The only reason I still have them (have not shot them yet) is that I have been shooting my reloads. over and over, so have not opened these boxes yet.

I buy my dried beans, paper towels, cleaning supplies and other stuff in bulk. Does that make me a hoarder of those things?

So, I've got a lot of stuff excess to my immediate needs.

Recently, I went to a gun show and bought 2 cans of powder. It was not my usual powder, but I figured I needed to "stock up" a bit and I was almost out of my usual. The guy had 3 pounds. I would have bought all three except that I did not want to leave him with nothing else to sell to anyone who came after me. (It was the last day, but still early). Does that make me more or less of a hoarder?

I will grant you that much of the current shortage of powder, bullets, primers, loaded ammunition and guns is a result of panic buying, hoarding and new gun owners and new shooters participating in what might be called reactionary buying and speculative buying. But I think to pronounce someone a "hoarder" is judgemental and not conducive to communication.

I also admit that implying you are judgemental for calling someone else a borderline hoarder is judgemental on my part. I won't offer a judgement of what that is right now. I do want to make the point that using names is usually more a bar to communication than an aid.

Hoping to smooth the communication highway,

Lost Sheep
Old June 4, 2009, 03:15 AM   #198
MEATSAW

Just got off the phone with my nearest Walmart 'Supercenter' -- he had ONE box of WWB .40SW and a couple boxes of UMC 55 gr FMJ .223; he had just received it off the truck...but c'mon as a big store you get a shipment and you only get 4 or 5 boxes of ammo total out of it, [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?! Anyway I wanted to go out and shoot my new HK P2000 so in the morning I will probably be picking up that lone box of .40SW so I can go shooting.

On another note I was looking at some older threads on TFL and came across a Walmart ammo WWB thread from 2004: the 100-round value packs were $15 for .40SW and $20 for .45 Auto...now you are lucky to find a 50-round box for under $20...
Old June 4, 2009, 09:59 AM   #199
Lambdebois

The Walmart by me had plenty of .40S&W, 9mm, 22lr and .223.

No 38 special, 357 mag, or 357sig which is what I was looking for.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:33 AM   #200
fender1974

The local Wal*Marts here in Northern Virgina are still hit or miss. I've found that stopping in on my way home from work in the evenings to be the best time to pick-up a few boxes of 9mm. I end up getting lucky about every other time I stop in. Most of the time is Blazer Brass (50 ct), other times they'll have a few boxes of WWB (100 ct). The limit is 3 boxes (total purchase/any caliber) so I'll pick-up what I can when they have it.