The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2008, 06:53 PM   #1
40hk

reloading 40s&w to store

Hi all, awesome site, just getting back into reloading, I have about 2000 once fired cases for the 40s&w, I want to load most of it and store it for the future, question is do I need to seal the primers with something, if so, what?
Old December 7, 2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Bringsteen

No, you don't need to seal the primers. A properly-seated primer will provide all the seal you need. In some circumstances (wet weather hunting, certain military scenarios, et cetera), sealing might matter. For your purposes, you just need to carefully assemble the ammunition and then keep it stored in an airtight, preferably plastic container. Preferably plastic because if there is a detonation, the container won't become a bomb by virtue of the pressure escalating rapidly.

If you're really concerned about it, put some large desiccant packs in the containers.
Old December 9, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3
totalloser

+1, but I like using surplus ammo cans. Airtight, cheap, durable, have a handle. I think they are made for a similar application, too!