The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Mike_In_MD

Home made brass catchers

Let's have a thread of home made brass catchers that you made.

Last weekend I finally made time to make my own brass catcher. I wanted something very light to carry (less than 2 pounds), and useful for catching brass for both pistol and rifle. Here's some photo's of the end result. It's made from 1/16'" thick by 3/4" aluminum angle offset for the frame, and 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide aluminum for the post. The net material is just a standard size laundry mesh bag from Walmart that cost about $1.97, and was cut to fit to allow a 18" by 18" opening. All the corners have two 4-40 1/4" screws with nuts. The clamps used allows easy height adjustment and attachment to the bench. As an alternative to the clamp I have in the 2nd photo (a CB antenna mount), one "L" bracket and one straight bracket can be used.

Old February 4, 2007, 07:36 PM   #2
mjrodney

Yours looks better than the converted fishing net I made one from.

After a few questioned whether I was after bass or brass, I ended up buying one at:

http://www.cm-machine.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$JRJLDIYAABJ0RTZENUGXBMWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=6006%7C6007&PRID=97882

...but that puppy was close to $100.

If yours works ok, post the plans.
Old February 4, 2007, 11:40 PM   #3
Shoney

I use two wildly different versions. The portable version is from MidwayUSA
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=112864
You need two people to see where the brass is hitting, in order to adjust it. Each weapon flings brass a little differently. Works great when adjusted properly.

I also have an old pole lamp (lamp gone) with a big solid base. To the lamp stand, I attached a shower curtain ring, about 3’ in diameter. I use the plastic tarp over the ring and to push the tarp back with a 4' stick (from the bottom of the ring up into the tarp at 45 degrees), so there is space enough for cases to enter the ring easily for capture and retrieval.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 5, 2007, 02:58 PM   #4
CrustyFN

This is the one I just bought. I haven't had a chance to try it yet so I don't know how good it works. It fit my AR fine so I don't see why it wouldn't and the price was right, $10.
Rusty