The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 23, 2007, 11:42 AM   #26
fisherman66

Maybe I should have specified "ribs". The shot my mind is recalling was a broadside shot at 100 or so yards. I would guess that the bullet shattered and some splinters went rearward. I had an exit wound where it should be, but the guts were blenderized. I have had the guts burst on many occasions where a soft point would have passed cleanly.

I agree the results of a BT are amazing. I'm just sick of cleaning the mess. My gut piles look like grassy ravioli.

I also find a 243 about as small as I'm willing to go, even with the puppy dog sized Texas deer. I'm not about to chide someone else for going smaller, as long as they know the limitations and make a clean kill.
Old April 23, 2007, 12:07 PM   #27
mikejonestkd

fisherman,

We are in complete agreement, they are amazing and they also shred when they hit any bone, I recall more than a few that came apart after hitting a rib at the entrance wound. I've never had bullet or bone splinters get into the guts though. I agree that it must have been gross...

They do turn lungs into jello and tear chunks out of hearts, I will continue to use them for my deer up here in NY. My father's .243 is scary accurate with the .95 gr accutips... and there's no recoil compared to bigger rifle calibers.

Castnblast is right on the money, a very fast properly constructed bullet properly placed in a medium sized deer will result in vension. I wouldn't recommend a .22-250 for a novice but it will do the job well in the hands of a confident experienced shooter that can carefully pick and choose his shots.
Old April 24, 2007, 11:52 AM   #28
piercfh

Woops!

Heres what happens when you catch a little bone going in. The entrance was just behind the shoulder. Nosler BTHP Match...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pig.jpg (181.7 KB, 402 views)
Old April 24, 2007, 12:24 PM   #29
fisherman66

gutless yellow belly sow
Old April 29, 2007, 08:30 PM   #30
castnblast

BTW, this was with a boat tail, but not a ballistic tip. This deer was shot using a Sierra 55gr GAME KING BTSP. Game Kings have thicker jackets, the boat-tail helps retain energy.
Old April 29, 2007, 08:49 PM   #31
fisherman66

The Bushido boattail

Looks like you found a ninja pig. In shame the ninja pig commited seppuku avoiding falling into enemy hands, and to attenuating the shame brought upon the pig daimyo.
Old April 30, 2007, 07:57 PM   #32
FirstFreedom

What weight is that piggie?
Old April 30, 2007, 10:24 PM   #33
piercfh

Probably 100lbs. I dont think have ever seen one much over 250 around these parts. I think that one was a sow too. My buddy has her frozen and is supposed to fix us some sausage sometime.
Old April 30, 2007, 10:37 PM   #34
Rangefinder

Quote:
Impressive pictures. I never realized those small cals could do such huge damage.
You'd be shocked to see just how capable the small, fast rounds can be. I wouldn't recommend it for "green" hunters, but I've taken more than a few elk with my Remington 6mm with both neck and chest shots. That high-speed impact just vaporized the internals--lungs were red jello/mush in every chest cavity hit and none took more than a few steps before they collapsed on the spot--hit a bull once and he arched his back like a cat, then fell over sideways without even a flinch. He was dead before he hit the ground. Never underestimate the small and fast when the right bullet is in use.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 30, 2007, 10:48 PM   #35
Fremmer

Good pics!

Quote:
This deer was shot using a Sierra 55gr GAME KING BTSP.
I use the Sierra BTSP in .308 for deer. Great accuracy, no tracking. That's a great round.
Old May 1, 2007, 09:25 PM   #36
FirstFreedom

Hey rangefinder, what 6mm bullet worked so well on elk?
Old May 1, 2007, 09:44 PM   #37
Rangefinder

Quote:
Hey rangefinder, what 6mm bullet worked so well on elk?
100gr. Nosler Partition pushed by 48gr. RL-22 is what I used for the first few years. Those were all with picky neck shots.

After some serious experimenting with the balistics, I switched over to 95gr. Nosler Balistic Tips pushed by 45.5gr RL-19. Those do a nasty number on lung tissue. I spent one entire summer shooting water-logged foam dock floats through fired clay plates to dial in just the right penetration and expansion depths. If they clip a rib, they disolve the first lung and shread the heart. If they pass between the ribs, they come apart midway through, about heart depth and disolve a big chunk of the lung on the back side. Without a pass-through, everything in the shock radius siezes up on impact.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:01 PM   #38
FirstFreedom

Sounds real effective; thanks. Your experimentation paid off, sounds like! I'm a believer in high-speed bullets with neck shots.
Old September 25, 2007, 04:39 PM   #39
castnblast

Reactivated this thread because it's relevant to a current topic being posted.
Old September 25, 2007, 06:06 PM   #40
dbgun

My wife's uncle, hunts with a 22-250 (Remington?). He told me got tired of the kick from a 30-06. He's been using a 22-250 for about 5 yrs. and has never lost a deer yet. He hunts out near Kenedy, TX.
Old September 25, 2007, 10:28 PM   #41
Yithian

Yea cast', this thread makes me wish I'd taken pictures of the piggie I shot with my .204 last Sat.

The little lady stuck her head up to figure out what the smell was. (Me up-wind.)
I promptly told her it was the smell of Heaven. (aka, a freezer.)
Right behind the ear with a 39gr Sierra BK.
Left a 2 inch hole bored to the other side of its skull.
No exit tho.

No kick, and watched it go down thru the scope.

Next is to see what a 45gr Hornady SP can do.
I just got them in the mail a few days ago. Gotta get em loaded up!
Old April 13, 2008, 04:35 PM   #42
castnblast

I'm only reposting because it is valid to another thread...
Old April 13, 2008, 09:59 PM   #43
Yithian

lol Thanks cast.

On this note, the Hornady 204 bullets are far more deadly than the Sierra BK's.
I had a 120Lb runnin' sow in the gut with a 40gr V-max, ~80 to 90 yards. No exit wound.
Entry wound looked very much like piercfh's exit wound pic.
Nasty!
Old April 30, 2008, 06:13 PM   #44
sureshots

Castnblast Photos

With the damage Castnblast inflicted on his Whitetail it would not have made any difference how much that deer weighed. If it had been 300lbs. I'm sure the results would have been the same. Most don't realize the damage that A well placed shot (with the proper bullet) from A 22-250 will do. I have seen this same result many times. The 22-250 cal. will do the job.
Old May 2, 2008, 02:23 PM   #45
castnblast

Key here is proper bullet, not a varnment bullet. Most of the damage in this picture is a result of hydrostatic shock, which is the pressure wave behind the bullet, like when you see a water drop into a pond, etc, except this is the hyper end of that. A good example is a rifle shot into water - it blows water in all direction- that is what the innards do, and has more to do with velocity than energy. Hydrostatic shock is a under appreciated/understood action on body tissue.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:28 PM   #46
Jack O'Conner

I'm acquainted with a man who raises alfalfa for a living. He shoots deer on sight with his 22-250 and the 60 grain Nosler bullet. I'm told that at the shot, deer legs fold up. The animal collapses literally in its own tracks. He aims for the neck-to-backbone spot. Nope, I don't shoot animals out of season.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
Jack

Old May 2, 2008, 03:45 PM   #47
jimbob86

The neck shot.

Why, pray tell, would I want to put a bullet into bone in the middle of two neck roasts? Seems to me that the deer would be just as dead if you put one/both lungs/his heart out of action-parts I dont intend to eat anyway. The "boiler room" shot's target area is 10 times as big as that spot your farmer friend is aiming at, and wastes no meat. Though it sounds as if your friend is wasting 100% of the meat.
Old May 2, 2008, 04:52 PM   #48
sureshots

Shot Placement

Jacks diagram is showing only one of the possible shot placments when using calibers such as the 22-250 cal. If this one is not suitable for you there are many more that will do the job just as well. Many times you choose your shot according to the position of the animal, you may not always be offered the brodside shot. Once again, Shot placement and the proper Bullet are the Keys. By the way, your choice of shot also works well for the broadside shot. Sounds like you know your stuff. I like neck roast(my favorite) too.
Old May 2, 2008, 05:02 PM   #49
jimbob86

I just know what works for me.....

With high velocity, lightly constructed bullets (I use 150gr Sierra Gameking SBT in .270 at @2950 f/sec MV) it works well with the deer facing you at short (under 100 yds) ranges- the bullet comes apart and does not get past the diaphram (into the stomach/guts, where it will make field dressing unnecessarily messy/stinky. At over 100 yards, if they are facing you, they'll probably get closer, or turn broadside. I have never seen them cover much ground walking backwards. Just wait.......
Old May 2, 2008, 07:55 PM   #50
mikenbarb

Has anyone tried the new DRT ammo for deer in small cals? They say their devastating with no pass thru. They say tha ammo explodes everything on the inside of the chest cavity and keep all the energy in a soccer ball sized area. I saw a show that they were in Africa shooting plains game with the DRT and all dropped on the spot with no pass thru.